Properties of body with spherical symmetry

In summary: OP was asking, but I'll go ahead and address it.The definition of a sphere implies that it has a defined center. If that isn't possible then the object is not a sphere.
Soren4
I'm studing Gauss law for gravitational field flux for a mass that has spherical symmetry.

Maybe it is an obvious question but what are exactly the propreties of a spherical simmetric body?
A body is said to have spherical symmetry if its density is function of the distance from the center only, and not of the angle coordinate. $$\rho=\rho(r)$$

Firstly does this imply that the body in question must be a sphere?

Secondly is it correct to interpret the definition as follows?

For any element of the body of mass [itex]dm[/itex] and volume [itex]dV[/itex] at a distance [itex]r[/itex] from the center of the body, there exists another identical element [itex]dm[/itex], [itex]dV[/itex] at the same distance[itex]r[/itex from the center of the body.

Physics news on Phys.org
First question of yours, I think the fact that a spherically symmetrical body has to be a sphere, is reasonably self-evident. Spherical symmetry means that you can rotate the object any way you like, and it will look indistinguishable from the non-rotated version. If you can find an object that fulfills that condition but is not a sphere, you might get a Nobel prize.

Your second one, no, I don't think the condition is strong enough. I could have a very lopsided object that still fulfills your condition but is not spherically symmetrical.

Soren4 said:
Firstly does this imply that the body in question must be a sphere?
No, but it is built out of homogeneous spherical shells.

Soren4 said:
For any element of the body of mass dm and volume dV at a distance r from the center of the body, there exists another identical element dmdmdm, dV at the same distance[itex]r[/itex] from the center of the body.

It means that at every point at the same distance from the center, the density is the same. It is difficult to tell whether that is exactly what you want to say with the above or not.

Likes Soren4
rumborak said:
First question of yours, I think the fact that a spherically symmetrical body has to be a sphere, is reasonably self-evident. Spherical symmetry means that you can rotate the object any way you like, and it will look indistinguishable from the non-rotated version. If you can find an object that fulfills that condition but is not a sphere, you might get a Nobel prize.
This is not correct. A sphere is an object with one dimension less than the embedding space. If you are not thinking of this you are using a non-standard or colloquial definition of the word "sphere".

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. A sphere is an object with one dimension less than the embedding space

What? I have never seen a definition of that kind, and it also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A plane has one less dimension than the space it is embedded in. Is a plane a sphere?

rumborak said:
What? I have never seen a definition of that kind, and it also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A plane has one less dimension than the space it is embedded in. Is a plane a sphere?
No, you are misinterpreting things here. I just mentioned one of the properties of a sphere. If you want the interior part too you are talking about a ball. In three dimensions, a sphere of radius ##R## is a two-dimensional surface at a distance ##R## away from its center.

I understand that when considered rigorously in mathematics, this distinction between sphere and ball is important, but at least from the OP wording it seemed he meant ball when saying sphere. Harping on this distinction seems to distract from the question he was asking, IMHO.

rumborak said:
If you can find an object that fulfills that condition but is not a sphere, you might get a Nobel prize.
rumborak said:
Harping on this distinction seems to distract from the question he was asking, IMHO.

I do not think it is a trivial matter when you make statements like the first one quoted. In particular not when the OP has received two seemingly incompatible answers - this should be explained.

Orodruin, the distinction between sphere and ball appears only in math, in topics of solid geometry, topology, and so forth. In physics "sphere" is commonly used to include ball, "hollow sphere" or "spherical shell" being used when necessary. Only if you're a physicist working with math like algebraic topology, must you use the words that way. Note there's no such thing as "ballical symmetry"! Dirac, for instance, uses only the word "sphere", never "ball", in "Principles of QM".

rumborak, one object that fulfills the condition but wouldn't be called a "sphere" would be a uniform dust filling a 4-d spacetime, as in many cosmological models. You might even say a gas giant planet, while spherically symmetric, is "not a sphere" since there's no definable surface. But this is just nit-picking.

Relativistically there's a little problem with this definition: you can't in general define "center" such that all observers will agree.

It may be worth mentioning the related fact that in Quantum Mechanics a spherically symmetric state - i.e. with s.s. wave function - must have angular momentum zero.

Last edited:
Likes rumborak
Orodruin said:
No, but it is built out of homogeneous spherical shells.
It means that at every point at the same distance from the center, the density is the same. It is difficult to tell whether that is exactly what you want to say with the above or not.

Thanks for the reply! When you say "homogeneous shell" what do you mean exactly? Is the volumetric density or area density of the shell constant?

Related to Properties of body with spherical symmetry

1. What is spherical symmetry?

Spherical symmetry is a type of symmetry where an object or system looks the same from all directions or rotations. This means that all points on the surface of the object are equidistant from the center, and the shape of the object does not change when rotated.

2. What are some examples of objects with spherical symmetry?

Some examples of objects with spherical symmetry include spheres, planets, and stars. Cells, such as red blood cells, also exhibit spherical symmetry.

3. How does spherical symmetry affect the properties of a body?

Spherical symmetry affects the properties of a body in several ways. For example, it leads to uniform pressure and gravitational forces throughout the body, and also affects the distribution of mass and the behavior of waves within the body.

4. What is the significance of spherical symmetry in physics and astronomy?

Spherical symmetry is important in physics and astronomy because it simplifies the analysis of systems and allows for easier calculations. Many physical and astronomical phenomena, such as planetary motion and the structure of stars, rely on spherical symmetry for accurate predictions and understanding.

5. How is spherical symmetry different from other types of symmetry?

Spherical symmetry is different from other types of symmetry, such as rotational or reflection symmetry, because it involves a complete symmetry in all directions. Other types of symmetry may only have symmetry in a specific direction or plane.