Properties of an evolved universe

In summary, the key properties of an evolved universe include its age, size, composition, structure, and energy distribution. These properties are shaped by processes such as gravity, nuclear fusion, and cosmic expansion over billions of years. The age of the universe plays a crucial role in determining its properties, as it affects its size, composition, energy distribution, and structure. Gravity is a fundamental force that influences the properties of an evolved universe, particularly in the formation of galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies. The properties of an evolved universe also contribute to its habitability, as they allow for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. These properties can change over time due to continued expansion and evolution, as well as external factors such as interactions
McGarr
Hello All :)

I've heard it proposed that a reason for the fine tuned nature of our universe in a way to allow the existence of complexity and life could be that the universe itself is the product of evolution in a multi-verse.

I don't want to debate around the anthropological principle as I am sure that has been done many times on here.

My question is this - what properties or behaviors would be expect to find in a universe that had been selected towards some unknown fitness function?

Is there any are of mathematics or physics I could research that would help me learn about the general properties of highly optimized/selected/finely tuned causal systems?

Many thanks,

Ian

Space news on Phys.org
McGarr said:

I've heard it proposed that a reason for the fine tuned nature of our universe in a way to allow the existence of complexity and life could be that the universe itself is the product of evolution in a multi-verse.

I don't want to debate around the anthropological principle as I am sure that has been done many times on here.

My question is this - what properties or behaviors would be expect to find in a universe that had been selected towards some unknown fitness function?

Is there any are of mathematics or physics I could research that would help me learn about the general properties of highly optimized/selected/finely tuned causal systems?

Many thanks,

Ian

Interesting question

Some of your words need clarifying. In evolution there is no 'towards' anything. There just 'is'. No end function, goal, plan, etc. Biology is just chemistry that is just physics. Every atom is what it is because of the physics of the moment.

I'll let others suggest mathematics or other methods. However, in a nutshell, the variables would be what they are in our understanding of matter and energy...relativity...quantum mechanics, etc. What we understand of our Universe is what there has to be. Particles and waves (or whatever they are)have properties and this Universe is a reflection of those properties. We have laws of thermodynamics, entropy, etc.

I suppose the answer to studying all this is 'Physics'. One can get into the formation of atoms after the Big Bang, heavier elements from exploding stars, the forces inside the nucleus of an atom. However, it's all still latest understanding of physics.

Some other Universe? Nobody has a clue.

tom aaron said:
Interesting question

Some of your words need clarifying. In evolution there is no 'towards' anything. There just 'is'. No end function, goal, plan, etc. Biology is just chemistry that is just physics. Every atom is what it is because of the physics of the moment.

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that evolution doesn't work towards anything. However, when something is evolved - that is it is the product of natural selection of it will have a tendency to exhibit the attributes that made it "fit". An obvious an example would be the potential to self- replicate (a-sexually or sexually) so one obvious trait that would suggest we live in an evolved universe would be if we discovered mechanisms through which this universe could create another. Or if for example the universe's fitness function was it's capacity to harbor life then we may find that the conditions needed to for life arising more often than would be statistically expected if the starting conditions were truly random. By starting conditions I meany anything acausal - so the fundamental laws of physics (whatever they may be) and then maybe things like quantum wave collapses, radioactive decay and the distribution of mass/energy at the big bang.

McGarr said:

The selection would be for whatever process creates new universes. The only proposal I've heard of this is that astrophysical black holes might potentially form other universes with physical laws similar to the parent universe. If this were the case, then the laws of physics would be optimized to maximize the number of black holes formed. If there were some other model for the process that forms other universes, then that other process would be the one that is maximized.

I am somewhat curious what this model would say about black hole-black hole mergers, though. Either way, this is highly speculative.

Chalnoth said:
Either way, this is highly speculative.

Too speculative for PF I think. Thread locked.

Related to Properties of an evolved universe

1. What are the key properties of an evolved universe?

The key properties of an evolved universe include its age, size, composition, structure, and energy distribution. These properties have developed over billions of years through various processes such as gravity, nuclear fusion, and cosmic expansion.

2. How does the age of the universe affect its properties?

The age of the universe plays a crucial role in determining its properties. As the universe ages, it continues to expand and cool, leading to changes in its size, composition, and energy distribution. Additionally, the age of the universe is closely linked to its structure and the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets.

3. What role does gravity play in the properties of an evolved universe?

Gravity is one of the fundamental forces that shape the properties of an evolved universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies. Gravity also plays a crucial role in the structure of the universe, as it pulls matter together and creates structures such as galaxy clusters and filaments.

4. How do the properties of an evolved universe contribute to its habitability?

The properties of an evolved universe, such as its size, composition, and energy distribution, play a crucial role in determining its habitability. For example, the size of the universe allows for the formation of galaxies and stars, which provide the necessary conditions for life to exist. The composition of the universe also affects the formation of planets and the availability of essential elements for life.

5. Can the properties of an evolved universe change over time?

Yes, the properties of an evolved universe can change over time. As the universe continues to expand and evolve, its properties will also change. For example, the distribution of matter and energy may shift, and new structures, such as galaxies and stars, may form. Additionally, the properties of the universe may be influenced by external factors, such as interactions with other galaxies or the effects of dark energy.