Properties of Absolute Value with Two Abs Values

In summary, the conversation is discussing the properties of absolute value and how it relates to fractions and squares. The main point is that ##\frac{|a|}{|b|} = |\frac{a}{b}|## and ##|a| < |b| \iff a^2 < b^2## are both true statements. There is also a suggestion to use the definition of absolute value and properties of square root to prove the first statement.
askor
Is it true that ##\frac{|a|}{|b|} = |\frac{a}{b}|## and ##|a| < |b| = a^2 < b^2##?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
askor said:
##|a| < |b| = a^2 < b^2##?

Do you mean ##|a| < |b| \iff a^2 < b^2##?

Your textbook should cover the first one at least.

The second one depends on what a,b can be (assuming you mean what @etotheipi wrote)

etotheipi said:
Do you mean ##|a| < |b| \iff a^2 < b^2##?

Yes.

Define ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##. Can you use certain properties of the square root to show that ##\frac{|a|}{|b|} = |\frac{a}{b}|##?

Likes etotheipi
romsofia said:
Define ##|x| = \sqrt{x^2}##. Can you use certain properties of the square root to show that ##\frac{|a|}{|b|} = |\frac{a}{b}|##?

I don't understand. Please tell me the point.

askor said:
I don't understand. Please tell me the point.
$$\frac{|a|}{|b|} = \frac{\sqrt{a^2}}{\sqrt{b^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{a^2}{b^2}} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^2} = \dots$$

Related to Properties of Absolute Value with Two Abs Values

1. What is absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How do you calculate the absolute value of a number?

To calculate the absolute value of a number, you simply remove the negative sign (if present) and keep the positive value. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5, and the absolute value of 5 is also 5.

3. What is the difference between absolute value and modulus?

Absolute value and modulus are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different definitions. Modulus is the remainder when a number is divided by another number, while absolute value is always a positive value.

4. How do you solve equations with two absolute values?

When solving equations with two absolute values, you need to consider both positive and negative cases. You can rewrite the equation as two separate equations, one with the positive value and one with the negative value, and then solve for both cases.

5. What are some real-life applications of absolute value with two abs values?

Absolute value with two abs values is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate distances, velocities, and accelerations. It is also used in economics to calculate profit and loss, and in statistics to calculate deviations from the mean.