Understanding Euler's Formula for Complex Numbers - Tips for Evaluating e^ix

• Thread starter AndersHermansson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, complex numbers in polar form can be expressed as a power of e, specifically e^ix = cosx + isinx. This can be seen by comparing the power series of e^x, sinx, and cosx. To evaluate e^ix, one can use Euler's formula or the more general form of re^{i\theta}. This can also be used to switch between polar and rectangular coordinates. Evaluating xi involves using Euler's formula or a power series for x^y.
AndersHermansson
I just started studying complex numbers. It says complex numbers in polar form can be expressed as a power of e:

e^ix = cosx + isinx

I don't quite understand how this equation works.
How do i evaluate e^ix? And how does taking e to the power of ix get me a complex number a + bi or even in polar form?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To get all complex numbers, you need the somewhat more general form:
[tex]re^{i\theta}=r\sin{\theta}+ir\cos{\theta}[/tex]

Now, the other direction is also not bad
[tex]z=x+iy=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} e^{i\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}}[/tex]

If you think of [tex]r[/tex] as the radius, and [tex]\theta[/tex] as the angle anti-clockwise from the postive axis, you'll find that this corresponds to switching between polar and rectangular coordinates.

So [tex]re^{i\theta}[/tex] is merely a convenience in writing?

It is more than a convenience. One way to look at it is by power series of eix and compare to power series for sinx and cos x. You will see that eix=cosx+isinx.

Ok, yes i think I'm beginning to understand. How do one evaluate xi? For example, what's 32i?

If you are thinking of x^n being the product of n x's, and want to apply that here, you are out of luck. When the exponent is imaginary, it doesn't really carry over. Think of it as a generalization.

Are you familiar with Taylor series?

[tex]e^x=1+x+{x^2\over 2}+{x^3\over 3!}+{x^4\over 4!}+...[/tex]

[tex]\sin x=x-{x^3\over 3!}+{x^5\over 5!}-...[/tex]

[tex]\cos x=1-{x^2\over 2}+{x^4\over 4!}-...[/tex]

The result follows from these.

Well, you can do the following:

[tex]3^{2i}=e^{\ln{3} *2i}=\cos{2\ln{3}}+i\sin{2\ln{3}}[/tex]

If you're feeling a bit more adventerous, there is a power series for [tex]3^x[/tex] which is going to give you the same result.

Ok, thanks! So the only way of evaluating xiy is by using Euler's formula, which we know to be true? I can see the use of the formula more clearly now.

For the record, x^y is usually a multivalued function.

Originally posted by AndersHermansson
Ok, thanks! So the only way of evaluating xiy is by using Euler's formula, which we know to be true? I can see the use of the formula more clearly now.
Think of it as a way to calculate [tex]x^{iy}[/tex].

Originally posted by NateTG
To get all complex numbers, you need the somewhat more general form:
[tex]re^{i\theta}=r\sin{\theta}+ir\cos{\theta}[/tex]

Now, the other direction is also not bad
[tex]z=x+iy=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} e^{i\arctan{\frac{x}{y}}}[/tex]

If you think of [tex]r[/tex] as the radius, and [tex]\theta[/tex] as the angle anti-clockwise from the postive axis, you'll find that this corresponds to switching between polar and rectangular coordinates.

should that be arctan(y/x)?

1. What is Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is a mathematical equation that relates the number of faces, vertices, and edges of a polyhedron. It is expressed as F + V = E + 2, where F is the number of faces, V is the number of vertices, and E is the number of edges.

2. How is Euler's Formula derived?

Euler's Formula is derived from the Euler characteristic, which is a topological invariant that describes the connectivity of a surface. It is calculated by subtracting the number of holes or handles in a surface from the number of vertices and edges.

3. What is the importance of Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is important in mathematics and geometry because it provides a relationship between the number of faces, vertices, and edges of a polyhedron. It also has many applications in different fields, such as graph theory, topology, and computer graphics.

4. Can Euler's Formula be applied to any shape?

No, Euler's Formula can only be applied to polyhedra, which are three-dimensional shapes with flat faces. It cannot be applied to curved or non-polyhedral shapes.

5. Are there any exceptions to Euler's Formula?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to Euler's Formula, such as the Möbius strip and the Klein bottle, which have only one surface and one edge. In these cases, the formula becomes F + V = E.