Proper Punctuation: Parentheses and Question Marks in English Writing

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, The correct usage of "forward" and "backward" depends on whether they are used as adjectives or adverbs. When using parentheses within a sentence, place punctuation outside the closing parenthesis unless it is a separate thought. Avoid posing a question within a parenthetical remark. Clarity of thought requires clarity of expression.
aychamo
Sigh please don't laugh :)

I was writing in another thread and wrote "forewards" and "backwards." My spell checker caught it. Is this improper english? It wanted to write either "fore wards" or "fore-wards." The same for backwards.

Also, when I write a sentence that has a part of it that ends (in a set of parenthesis.) Is it proper to put the period "." inside of the last parenthesis, or should I put it outside? Also, if I were to ask a question in a parenthesis at the end of a setence (you see what I mean?) Would I put the question mark in the parenthesis? Or do I puncate the sentence according to the part of the sentence that is not in parenthesis?

It's amazing I'm almost out of college, and do not know this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forward is an adjective and forwards is an adverb so correct usage depends on the overall sentence structure or thought you are trying to convey. You're probably encounter more instances of forward vice forwards.

The second part depends on how you do the quote. Another sentence structure thing...

Who said, "To be or not to be that is the question"?

Then she said "What do you think?"

Notice the first was an interrogative posed by me while the other was a comment about another's statement.

If the quotation falls in the middle of the sentence use appropriate punctuation within the quote as necessary.

Can you believe he said "This is silly!" to me?

My 2 cents.
Disclaimer: I'm not an English major so take the above w/ a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Your spellchecker was correct to catch "forewards." It is misspelled. "Backwards" may also be correctly written as "backward."

When using parentheses within a sentence, and not as a separate sentence, place the punctuation outside your closing parenthesis. (But if using them to enclose a complete, separate thought, punctuation goes within the parentheses, like so.)

Avoid the construction that would have you posing a question in a parenthetical remark as part of the sentence. (Instead, can you see that this would be a better choice?)

Clarity of thought requires clarity of expression.

Related to Proper Punctuation: Parentheses and Question Marks in English Writing

What is "Easy English"?

Easy English is a simplified version of the English language that is designed to be easier to understand and use for non-native speakers or individuals with learning disabilities.

Why is it important to use Easy English?

Using Easy English can help improve communication and understanding between individuals who have different levels of proficiency in the English language. It can also make information more accessible to those with learning disabilities.

What are the key features of Easy English?

Easy English typically uses shorter sentences, simpler vocabulary, and more direct and concise language. It also avoids complex sentence structures and idiomatic expressions.

Who uses Easy English?

Easy English is commonly used by organizations and institutions that need to communicate with a diverse audience, such as government agencies, healthcare providers, and educational institutions. It is also used by individuals who are learning English as a second language.

How can I learn and use Easy English?

There are many resources available for learning and using Easy English, including online courses, textbooks, and language learning apps. It is also helpful to practice speaking and writing in Easy English with others who are also learning.