Propane phase change in a container

In summary, the boiling point of propane at 10 bar is approximately 25C and the vapor pressure would also be 10 bar at 25C. The process is adiabatic and the temperature would need to be lowered in order to condense the propane.
Kirmandarren
If I had a container containing 10 bara of nitrogen, and pumped in liquid propane at room temperature would the propane boil?
If I carried out the same experiment but this time at 5 bara, what would be the temperature of the material once the propane had completed its phase change i.e would it drop to around 0C and stop boiling, would the liquid then just evaporate into the vapour space?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Room temperature is what? "bara" is what?

Bystander said:
Room temperature is what? "bara" is what?
Take room temperature as 25C, I'm using bar absolute pressure rather than gauge

What is the boiling point of propane at 10 bar? What is the vapor pressure at 25?

The boiling point at 10bar is approximately 25C. The vapour pressure would therefore also be 10 bar at 25C.

Is this an isothermal process? Adiabatic?

adiabatic process, I'm aware that there isn't enough info to answer the second question. What I was getting at is: the propane liquids boiling point changes due the the pressure above it no matter what it vapour/gas consists of. Once the temperature drops below its boiling point, evaporation takes over. Also if all the propane turns to vapour (not saturated with vapour), by increasing the pressure by addition of more nitrogen (volume remains constant) the propane will not condense, lowering the temperature is the only way to condense the propane. Is the above logic correct?

Kirmandarren said:
adiabatic process, I'm aware that there isn't enough info to answer the second question. What I was getting at is: the propane liquids boiling point changes due the the pressure above it no matter what it vapour/gas consists of. Once the temperature drops below its boiling point, evaporation takes over. Also if all the propane turns to vapour (not saturated with vapour), by increasing the pressure by addition of more nitrogen (volume remains constant) the propane will not condense, lowering the temperature is the only way to condense the propane. Is the above logic correct?
Yes

Related to Propane phase change in a container

What is propane phase change?

Propane phase change refers to the transition of propane from one physical state to another, typically from a gas to a liquid or vice versa.

What factors affect propane phase change in a container?

The main factors that affect propane phase change in a container are temperature and pressure. As the temperature and pressure change, the propane molecules will either condense into a liquid or vaporize into a gas.

How does propane phase change in a container relate to its use as a fuel?

Propane phase change in a container is directly related to its use as a fuel. When propane is in its liquid state, it is more dense and can be stored in smaller containers, making it easier to transport. As it vaporizes into a gas, it expands and can be used as a fuel for various purposes.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling propane phase change?

When handling propane phase change, it is important to follow safety guidelines such as wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation, and avoiding open flames or sparks. It is also important to properly store and transport propane in designated containers.

What are some common uses for propane phase change?

Propane is commonly used as a fuel for heating and cooking, but it also has many other uses when in different phases. Liquid propane is used as a refrigerant in air conditioning systems, while gaseous propane is used in welding and as a propellant in aerosol cans.