Propane: Liquid to Gas - Volume Change & Diffuse Velocity

In summary, we have discussed the release of 1 ml of liquid propane into the atmosphere at a constant temperature, and the resulting change in volume when it becomes gas. The ratio for most gases expanded from liquid is 1:800 units, but the exact expansion ratio for propane can be calculated using its molecular weight and density. Additionally, we have determined that the expansion ratio for propane is 311, based on actual values rather than general principles.
Kirua
H!,

I was wondering, if 1 ml of liquid propane (120 psi @ 70°F) is released into the atmosphere assume 14.696 psi (constant temperature), what will be the change in volume of what used to be 1 ml of liquid propane when changed to gas?

From what i heard, the ratio for most gases expanded from liquid is 1:800 units.
^
I got it from some fun facts website years ago. given the difference in properties of different gasses i really doubt the 1:800 ratio, so please lend me a hand if you have the time :)

Thanks ahead of time!
Kirua

follow up question,
what is the diffuse velocity of the gas and how long will it take? Assume the 1ml propane is contained in a cylindrical canister with an circular opening of .75" dia.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, here's how I'd solve it, with fair precision:

Propane (C3H8) is ~44.1 g/mol (you can look it up to the desired accuracy)

A mole of most gases at Standard Temperature/Pressure (1atm, 0 C) occupies ~22.4 L

Therefore, 1 g of propane gas @ STP occupies .508 L.

Dividing by the density of liquid propane would give the answer for 1 cc, instead of 1 g

You'd need to look up thermal corrections for 70F vs 32F (O C), but often these are given as density (specific gravity) charts in g/cc or kg/L, from which you could read expansion fairly directly without much calculation. The main advantage of my method is that it is easy to approximate the expansion for most gases from standard references like the CRC tables

This http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/Encyclopedia.asp?LanguageID=11&CountryID=19&Formula=&GasID=53&UNNumber=&EquivGasID=53&VolLiquideBox=1&MasseLiquideBox=&btnLiquidToGas=Calculate&VolGasBox=&MasseGasBox=&RD20=29&RD9=8&RD6=64&RD4=2&RD3=22&RD8=27&RD2=20&RD18=41&RD7=18&RD13=71&RD16=35&RD12=31&RD19=34&RD24=62&RD25=77&RD26=78&RD28=81&RD29=82 gives an expansion ratio of 311, using actual values, not general principles.

Thanks! this is really really useful :D

Related to Propane: Liquid to Gas - Volume Change & Diffuse Velocity

1. What is the volume change when propane changes from liquid to gas?

The volume change when propane changes from liquid to gas is approximately 270 times. This means that 1 liter of liquid propane will expand to around 270 liters of propane gas.

2. Does propane diffuse at a faster velocity when changing from liquid to gas?

Yes, propane diffuses at a faster velocity when changing from liquid to gas. This is because when propane is in its liquid state, the molecules are closer together and have a lower energy level. As it changes to a gas, the molecules spread out and have a higher energy level, allowing them to move faster and diffuse more quickly.

3. How does the temperature affect the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane?

The temperature has a direct effect on the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane. When the temperature increases, the volume change also increases, meaning more propane gas is produced. This also leads to a faster diffuse velocity, as the higher temperature causes the molecules to move more quickly.

4. Can the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane be controlled?

Yes, the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane can be controlled to a certain extent. By adjusting the temperature and pressure, the volume change can be altered. Additionally, the addition of substances such as inhibitors can slow down the diffuse velocity of propane.

5. Why is understanding the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane important?

Understanding the volume change and diffuse velocity of propane is important for safety and efficiency reasons. Propane is commonly used as a fuel source, and knowing how it changes from liquid to gas can help prevent accidents and ensure that it is used effectively. Additionally, this knowledge is crucial for industries that utilize propane in their processes, as it can impact the overall performance and productivity.