Propagators Homework: Understanding K(x,t;x',0) & More

In summary, propagators are a way to describe the probability of a system in a time-independent state ending up in a different state at a later time. The equation K(x,t;x',0) = \int |E\rangle e^{-iEt/\hbar} \langle E| dE decomposes the time-independent state into its eigenstates and propagates each of them individually. The x' is summed over continuously, which explains why other operators like the Hamiltonian do not have an (x,x') attached to them. The Hamiltonian can be considered a diagonal matrix in the position basis.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I am so confused about propagators:

[tex]K(x,t;x',0) = \int |E\rangle e^{-iEt/\hbar} \langle E| dE[/tex]

I understand the RHS of that equation perfectly: it just decomposes the time-independent state into its eigenstates and then propagates each of the eigenstates individually.

I would understand the LHS if and only if the ";x'," were removed from it. I simply do not understand why you need to get rid of the prime after you propagate the state? Why can you not propagate a time-independent wave-function of x' and get a time-independent wavefunction of x not x'?

EDIT: here is another equation from the wikipedia site on propagators:

[tex]\psi(x,t) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \psi(x',0) K(x,t; x', 0) dx'[/tex]

I think I am starting to understand this better. So, the reason you have an x and an x' is that the x' is summed over (continuously) if we want to think of the propagator just as a huge summation. But still why don't other operators like the Hamiltonian have an (x,x') attached to them? You can think of the Hamiltonian as a matrix operator as well.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Was just going over this stuff for an exam tomorrow (also, you may consider that a disclaimer: if I write nonsense somewhere, I probably haven't really understood that yet); anyway, here's how I like to look at it:

You can also define the propagator as the overlap between two wave functions at different times, that is
[tex]K(x, t; x', 0) = \langle x, t \mid x' 0 \rangle,[/tex]
where I put the earlier time on the right. Now let's insert a completeness relation into
[tex] \psi(x, t) = \langle x t \mid \psi \rangle = \langle x t \mid \left( \int dx' |x' 0\rangle \langle x' 0 \rangle \right) | \psi \rangle = \int dx' \langle x t | x' 0 \rangle \langle x' 0 | \psi \rangle = \int dx' K(x, t; x', 0) \psi(x', 0), [/tex]
which is the equation you cited.
So the propagator can be seen as the function that describes the odds of a system in state [itex]\psi(x', t' = 0)[/tex] ending up in the state [itex]\psi(x, t)[/itex] and by integrating over all possible x', we get the chance of being in state [itex]\psi(x, t)[/itex] at time t, no matter what the state at t = 0 was.

In addition, the Hamiltonian can indeed be considered a matrix operator, but in the position basis, it's a diagonal matrix. That is, H(x, x') vanishes if [itex]x \neq x'[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Propagators Homework: Understanding K(x,t;x',0) & More

1. What is a propagator?

A propagator is a mathematical function that describes the evolution of a physical system over time. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one position to another at a specific time.

2. What is the significance of K(x,t;x',0) in propagator homework?

K(x,t;x',0) is a specific form of the propagator that represents the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from position x' at time 0 to position x at time t. It is an important equation in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the behavior of particles in a given system.

3. How do I solve propagator homework problems?

Solving propagator homework problems involves understanding the underlying concepts of quantum mechanics and using mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation to manipulate the propagator equation. It is important to carefully follow the given instructions and pay attention to any assumptions or limitations stated in the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with propagators?

Some common mistakes when working with propagators include forgetting to consider the initial conditions, not properly applying the boundary conditions, and making errors in the integration or differentiation steps. It is also important to check for consistency in units and to carefully follow the given mathematical conventions.

5. How can I better understand propagators in quantum mechanics?

To better understand propagators in quantum mechanics, it is helpful to review the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, practice solving problems with propagators, and consult additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It may also be beneficial to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or mentor.