Propagator in the derivation of path integrals

In summary: This can be easily seen from the fact that the integral in the book is going from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty## while the one which I have derived is from ##0## to ##1##. So, the above integral is just the same as the one which I have derived. So, you see, the only reason why the operator ##\hat{H}## acts on ##x_{n-1}## is because it is inside the potential ##V(x_{n-1})##. And the reason why ##V(x)## is pulled inside the potential is because of the completeness relation. So, it is all just a matter of manipulating the braket notation.In summary, the exponential operator
Happiness
Why isn't (5.298) the following instead?

##K(x, t_1; x', t_0) = \delta(x-x')\,e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}##

My reasoning:

Since [itex]\Psi(x, t_1) = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\,\Psi(x, t_0)\\
= e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\,\int\delta(x-x')\Psi(x', t_0)\,dx'[/itex]

The exponential operator with ##H## is acting on the variable ##x##. So when it is pulled inside the integral, it should just be acting on ##\Psi(x', t_0)## so that after applying ##\delta(x-x')## and integrating, we get the same answer as the one when the exponential operator is acting on ##\Psi(x, t_0)##:

[itex]\Psi(x, t_1) =\int\delta(x-x')e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t_1-t_0)}\Psi(x', t_0)\,dx'[/itex]

Edit: I believe there is a typo at (5.304). It should be ##(x_n - x_{n-1})## instead of ##(x_n + x_{n-1})##. Correct?

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.32.02 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.29.47 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.30.28 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 2.30.46 am.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
The exponential operator with ##H## is acting on the variable ##x##. So when it is pulled inside the integral, it should just be acting on ##\Psi(x', t_0)## so that after applying ##\delta(x-x')## and integrating, we get the same answer as the one when the exponential operator is acting on ##\Psi(x, t_0)##:
It should be acting on any function which contains ##x## which is in this case the delta function. You can also obtain the propagator by starting to work in the braket notation. Starting from
$$|\psi,t_1\rangle = \exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
Insert ##\int dx' |x'\rangle \langle x'|## just in front of ##|\psi,t_0\rangle## and multiply from the left with ##\langle x|##. So that you get
$$\langle x|\psi,t_1\rangle =\int dx' \langle x|\exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|x'\rangle \langle x'|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
Then use the property ##\langle x|\hat{H}|\phi\rangle = H(x)\langle x|\phi\rangle## for an arbitrary state ##|\phi\rangle## to arrive at the same expression for the propagator.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
It should be acting on any function which contains ##x## which is in this case the delta function.

If the exponential operator turns ##f(x)## into ##g(x)## and if we allow it to act on ##x'## and hence ##f(x')##, it would turn ##f(x')## into ##g(x')##. And after applying ##\delta(x-x')## and integrating, we get back ##g(x)##.

You seem to suggest that the exponential operator can only act on ##x## and the variable that it acts on cannot be changed. I thought so too, until I saw (5.304), where it is not acting on ##x##, but on ##x_n## or ##x_{n-1}##. Also, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## in (5.304). So I guess that when ##V(x)## is pulled into the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## and so the operator ##\hat{H}## acts on ##x_{n-1}## when it is inside the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##.

blue_leaf77 said:
You can also obtain the propagator by starting to work in the braket notation. Starting from
$$|\psi,t_1\rangle = \exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
Insert ##\int dx' |x'\rangle \langle x'|## just in front of ##|\psi,t_0\rangle## and multiply from the left with ##\langle x|##. So that you get
$$\langle x|\psi,t_1\rangle =\int dx' \langle x|\exp(i\hat{H}(t_1-t_0))|x'\rangle \langle x'|\psi,t_0\rangle$$.
Then use the property ##\langle x|\hat{H}|\phi\rangle = H(x)\langle x|\phi\rangle## for an arbitrary state ##|\phi\rangle## to arrive at the same expression for the propagator.

Do we deduce the propagator ##\ K=\int dx' \exp\big(iH(x)(t_1-t_0)\big)|\ x'\rangle \langle x'|\ ## from the fact that
##\langle x|\psi,t_1\rangle =\int dx' \exp\big(iH(x)(t_1-t_0)\big)\ \langle x|x'\rangle \langle x'|\psi,t_0\rangle\ ## is true for any ##\langle x|##?

Last edited:
Happiness said:
You seem to suggest that the exponential operator can only act on ##x## and the variable that it acts on cannot be changed. I thought so too, until I saw (5.304), where it is not acting on ##x##, but on ##x_n## or ##x_{n-1}##. Also, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## in (5.304). So I guess that when ##V(x)## is pulled into the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##, ##V(x)## becomes ##V(x_{n-1})## and so the operator ##\hat{H}## acts on ##x_{n-1}## when it is inside the integral with respect to ##x_{n-1}##.
I would rather choose to work out everything from the braket notation to know which comes from which. So, the equation ##\exp(-iH\Delta t) \delta(x_n-x_{n-1})## can be derived from the braket notation
$$
\langle x_n| \exp(-i\hat{H}\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
$$
which is approximately equal to
$$
\langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) \exp(-iV(\hat{x})\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
$$
Note that up to this point everything is still in the operator form. Then again use the completeness relation, this time for ##|k\rangle## in between the two exponential operators above. Then
$$
\langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) \exp(-i\hat{V}\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle = \int dk \langle x_n| \exp(-i\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m}\Delta t) |k\rangle \langle k|\exp(-iV(\hat{x})\Delta t) |x_{n-1} \rangle
$$
Now use ##\hat{p}^2 |k\rangle = k^2 |k\rangle## and ##V(\hat{x}) |x_{n-1} \rangle = V(x_{n-1}) |x_{n-1} \rangle## where ##k^2## and ##V(x_{n-1}) ## are just numbers (scalars) not operators anymore. The above equation will reduce to
$$
\int dk \exp(-i\frac{k^2}{2m}\Delta t) \langle x_n|k\rangle \langle k|x_{n-1} \rangle \exp(-iV(x_{n-1})\Delta t) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int dk \exp(-i\frac{k^2}{2m}\Delta t + ik(x_n-x_{n-1})) \exp(-iV(x_{n-1})\Delta t)
$$
Note: I think there is another mistake in that book for writing ##ik(x_n+x_{n-1}) ## instead of ##ik(x_n-x_{n-1}) ##.

Likes Happiness

Related to Propagator in the derivation of path integrals

1. What is the propagator in the derivation of path integrals?

The propagator is a mathematical function used in the derivation of path integrals that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another in a given amount of time. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take and their corresponding probabilities.

2. How is the propagator related to the path integral formulation?

The propagator is a fundamental component of the path integral formulation. It is used to calculate the transition amplitude between two states, which is then integrated over all possible paths to obtain the final probability amplitude for a particle to move from one state to another.

3. What is the significance of the propagator in quantum mechanics?

The propagator plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one state to another, and also provides insights into the dynamics of the system and the path that the particle takes.

4. How is the propagator calculated in practice?

The propagator is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, which allow us to express the propagator as an integral over all possible paths. This integral can then be approximated using numerical methods to obtain a numerical value for the propagator.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in using the propagator in the derivation of path integrals?

While the propagator is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it does make certain assumptions and approximations in its calculations. For example, it assumes that the particle follows a continuous path and that its position and momentum can be measured simultaneously. These assumptions may not hold in all cases, so caution must be taken when using the propagator in certain scenarios.