Propagation of Uncertainty with Angles

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment involving measuring two distances (Y and L) and used tan to determine the angle, then calculated the sine of the angles. They have uncertainties in both length measurements and are unsure how to propagate the uncertainties. They are currently taking multivariable calculus and have been given an equation for propagating uncertainties. They have also performed example calculations and determined that the uncertainty in all calculations is 0.01. The speaker would have used 0.009 and 0.007 for the two accuracies, and they recommend plugging in numbers at every step for propagation of uncertainty.
TheJuke

Homework Statement

I conducted an experiment which involves measuring two distances (Y and L) and have used tan to determine the angle, then finally calculated the sine of the angles for use in my analysis.

I have uncertainties in both length measurements and am unsure how to propagate the uncertainties the way through.

Homework Equations

Unsure of what equation to use here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Unsure where to start really.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of mathematics have you taken? If you've taken multivariable calculus, it will be really simple to explain.

I am currently taking multivariable calculus so that would be great

If δf is the uncertainty of a function of f(x1,x2,...,xn) each with error δxi, then the most general equation for the error is [itex](\delta f)^2=\sum_{i=1}^n(\delta x_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x})^2[/itex]. If you want a derivation, I would recommend reading Introduction to Error Analysis by Taylor.

Thanks so much, I think I have it.

Would you mind having a look over my calculations? I am 100% sure of them as I would expect a far greater error.

Example Calculations:
θ=arctan(6/28)
θ=0.21 radians
sinθ=0.21

Propagation of Uncertainty:
Let r= y/L
∆r= (√((∆y/y)^2+ (∆L/L)^2 ))r
θ=arctan(r)
∆θ=(d(arctan(r))/dr) ∙ ∆r
∆θ(1/d)= 1/(r^2+1) (√((∆y/y)^2+ (∆L/L)^2 ))r

At smallest value:
∆θ(0.5)= 1/((6/28)^2+1) (√((0.25/6)^2+ (0.1/28)^2 ))(6/28)
∆θ=0.00857
∆θ=0.01
At maximum value:
∆θ(0.5)= 1/((18/28)^2+1) (√((0.25/18)^2+ (0.1/28)^2 ))(18/28)
∆θ=0.00652
∆θ=0.01
Therefore the uncertainty in all calculations is 0.01 as this is the limit of the precision in the original measurements.

I would have used 0.009 and 0.007 for the two accuracies. Propagation of uncertainty is one of the few cases where I would recommend plugging in numbers at every step. That is because
[tex]\frac{\delta r}{\sqrt{r^2+1}}[/tex]
is easier to calculate than
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\delta y}{L}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y\times\delta L}{L^2}\right)^2}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{y}{L}\right)^2+1}}[/tex]

Related to Propagation of Uncertainty with Angles

1. What is propagation of uncertainty with angles?

Propagation of uncertainty with angles is a method for calculating the uncertainty in a measurement or calculation involving angles. It takes into account the uncertainties in the measured angles and uses trigonometric functions to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

2. Why is propagation of uncertainty important for angles?

Angles are used in many scientific and engineering calculations, and it is impossible to measure them with perfect precision. Therefore, it is important to consider the uncertainties in the measured angles in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

3. How is propagation of uncertainty with angles calculated?

Propagation of uncertainty with angles involves using the partial derivative method, where the uncertainties in each measured angle are multiplied by the partial derivatives of the final result with respect to each angle. These values are then squared, summed, and the square root is taken to obtain the overall uncertainty.

4. Can propagation of uncertainty with angles be applied to any type of angle measurement?

Yes, propagation of uncertainty with angles can be applied to any type of angle measurement, including both plane angles (measured in degrees or radians) and solid angles (measured in steradians).

5. Are there any limitations to propagation of uncertainty with angles?

Propagation of uncertainty with angles assumes that the uncertainties in the measured angles are independent and normally distributed. This method may not be accurate if these assumptions are not met. Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations of the measuring instrument and the skill of the person taking the measurements.