Propagation of Errors - Error on Gradient

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the error on the gradient for their lab work. They are unable to use the parallelogram method due to the precision of the line of best fit and must do calculations by hand. They ask if they can use the propagation of errors method for Y=a/b on the values used to calculate the gradient, and provide an equation for this. They also ask for alternative methods if this is not allowed.
FishareFriend

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to calculate the error on the gradient I've obtained for my lab work. The line of best fit is too precise to use the parallelogram method and I'm still at the stage of my course where calculations of the gradient and such must be done by hand and not using a plotting program. So my question is, can I used the propagation of errors method for:
[itex]Y=a/b[/itex]
on the value used to calculate the gradient, i.e. the number I got from drawing a triangle under the line of best fit and taking one value from the other to get Δy and Δx, and those number's respective errors which I have from the various equipment I used to calculate the values.
Hence I'll have:
[itex]∂grad=grad*\sqrt{(∂x/Δx)^2+(∂y/Δy)^2}[/itex]

It's more just is this allowed as a way of calculating the error on the gradient or should I use a different method? If so which?

Homework Equations

Propagation of Errors for:
[itex]Y=a/b[/itex]

[itex]∂Y=Y*\sqrt{(∂a/a)^2+(∂b/b)^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
FishareFriend said:
[itex]∂grad=grad*\sqrt{(∂x/Δx)^2+(∂y/Δy)^2}[/itex]
Not sure I understand your equation. If there are just two datapoints, I could interpret that as Δx and Δy being the horizontal and vertical displacements. Then grad = Δy/Δx, and δgrad = (Δy+δy)/(Δx+δx) - Δy/Δx ≈ (δy-grad.δx)/Δx = grad*(δy/Δy-δx/Δx). But I'm unclear what you mean by Δx and Δy in a more general case.
It sounds like you are taking Δx to be the full range of x values and setting Δy = grad*Δx.

Related to Propagation of Errors - Error on Gradient

1. What is the purpose of calculating the error on gradient?

The error on gradient is calculated to determine the uncertainty or variability in the slope of a line or the gradient of a curve. This is important in many scientific experiments and analyses as it provides a measure of the accuracy and reliability of the data and results.

2. How is the error on gradient calculated?

The error on gradient is calculated using the formula: error on gradient = standard error of the y-intercept / standard error of the x-intercept. This can also be calculated using the standard deviation of the y-intercept and x-intercept values.

3. What factors can contribute to the error on gradient?

The error on gradient can be affected by several factors, including measurement errors, systematic errors in the experimental setup, and random errors due to natural variability or limitations of the measurement instruments.

4. Can the error on gradient be reduced?

Yes, the error on gradient can be reduced by increasing the precision and accuracy of measurements, minimizing sources of systematic errors, and using statistical techniques to account for random errors.

5. How can the error on gradient impact the results of an experiment?

The error on gradient can impact the results of an experiment by introducing uncertainty into the data and potentially affecting the overall conclusions of the study. It is important to consider and report the error on gradient to accurately interpret the results and make informed decisions based on the data.