How does winzip work? Actually, how do you compress a file?

• Thread starter DarkAnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of file compression and the use of different compression schemes such as zip, gzip, and lzma. The difference between winzip and winrar is also mentioned, with the preference for winrar due to its higher compression ratio. It is noted that most compression algorithms are good enough and portable, making them suitable for sharing files with others.
DarkAnt
How does winzip work? Actually, how do you compress a file?

Computer science news on Phys.org
wow, thanks. I should start compressing my english papers...

I think you'll find word documents compress very nicely. I prefer winrar over winzip for my compression needs. You can easily experiment with each to see what you like best.

what's the difference between the two? I've always used winzip mostly because I've always used it and it gets the job done.

zip is an ok compression scheme. gz is better and bz2 is even better.

And lzma is even better than bz2.

Almost all of the compression algorithms in use are "good enough". Zip and gzip files are small, and just about every decompression utility can work with them, so they're very portable. In a situation where you have to give the files to someone else, it's more useful to have a portable file format than a higher compression ratio.

Of course if you're just compressing your own archives, just use the algorithm with the highest compression.

1. How does Winzip work?

Winzip works by using a compression algorithm to reduce the size of files. It achieves this by identifying and removing redundant data from the file, resulting in a smaller file size. It also has the ability to compress multiple files into a single archive, further reducing the overall file size.

2. How do you compress a file using Winzip?

To compress a file using Winzip, open the program and click on the "New" button. Then, select the files you want to compress and click "Add." Finally, click on the "Zip" button to initiate the compression process. The compressed file will be saved in the same location as the original file.

3. What file formats can Winzip compress?

Winzip can compress a wide range of file formats, including .zip, .rar, .7z, .tar, and more. It also has the ability to compress multimedia files like images, videos, and audio files, resulting in significant reduction in file size.

4. Can Winzip compress and encrypt files at the same time?

Yes, Winzip has the option to compress and encrypt files simultaneously. This ensures that your compressed files are not only smaller in size, but also protected from unauthorized access. You can set a password for your compressed file, making it accessible only to those with the password.

5. Is Winzip available for all operating systems?

Yes, Winzip is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. It also has a mobile app for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to compress and extract files on the go.