Proofs by contraposition and contradiction

But that means that the average, \frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n a_i, is less than k. That contradicts the fact that "the class average is k points".
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

(a) Prove that if n is an integer and n2 is a multiple of 3, then n is a multiple of 3.
(b) Consider a class of n students. In an exam, the class average is k points. Prove, using contradiction, that at least one student must have received at least k marks in the exam.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think I've solved the first one correctly. Here's my attempt.
Assume that n is not a multiple of 3.
Therefore, n ≠ 3p, where p is an integer.
Therefore, n2 ≠ 9p2.
Therefore, n2 ≠ 3(3p2).
Therefore, n2 is not a multiple of 3.
Therefore, by contraposition, if n2 is a multiple of 3, then n is a multiple of 3.

(b) The second one I've made a partial attempt as I could not figure how to proceed. Here's my attempt.

Assume that class average ≠ k points.
Therefore, total sum of marks of all students ≠ nk points.
No idea of how to proceed from here onwards.

It would be great if you could supply hints on how to carry forward and check my first solution as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Assume that n is not a multiple of 3.
Therefore, n ≠ 3p, where p is an integer.
Therefore, n2 ≠ 9p2.
Therefore, n2 ≠ 3(3p2).
That is true, but it doesn't follow that
Therefore, n2 is not a multiple of 3.
You haven't shown that n2 ≠ 3q, for some integer q that is NOT of the form 3p2.

Try starting from what you are given: n2 is a multiple of 3, and of course n2 is a square.

(b) The second one I've made a partial attempt as I could not figure how to proceed.
Think about what "average" means. If all the students received less than k marks, what would the average mark be?

I have my new proofs.

a) n2 is a multiple of 3.
Therefore, n2 = 3p, where p is an integer.
n2 is a square.
Therefore, if n2 is to have a factor of 3, it must have an even number of such factors.
Therefore, p = 3q, where q is an integer.
Therefore, n2 = 9q.
Therefore, n = 3√q.
Therefore, n is a multiple of 3.

b) Assume that all students received less than k points.
Therefore, the class average is less than k points.
But, the class average is k points.
Therefore, at least one student must have received at least k points in the exam.

What do you think?

Both those proofs are basically OK.

I wouldn't give the first one full marks, because
Therefore, if n2 is to have a factor of 3, it must have an even number of such factors.
is correct, but you didn't explain why it is correct.

For example if n2 was a multiple of 12 instead of 3, n doesn't have to be a multiple of 12 - it could be 6.

If n2 were a multiple of 12, then n2 = (22)(32)(k), where k is a constant.

Therefore, it is okay for n to be equal (2)(3)(√k), i.e. for n to be a multiple of 6.

The real crux of the issue lies with the fact that 3 is a prime factor, and therefore 3 cannot be decomposed further into smaller factors. Therefore, an odd number of 3's have to exist within k for n2 to exist and for n to be a integer.

The argument could be written as follows:

3 is a prime factor. Therefore, k must be a multiple of an odd number of 3's for n to be an integer.
Therefore, n2 must have an even number of factors of 3.

How does this look?

For (a) a simple proof by contradiction is:
Suppose n is not a multiple of 3. Then n= 3k+1 or n= 3k+ 2 for some integer k. Now square each of 3n+1 and 3n+ 2.

For (b), assume, in contradiction to the conclusion, that no student received at least k points. Then, letting [itex]a_i[/itex] be the number of points the "[itex]i^{th}[/itex]" student received, we must have [itex]a_i< k[/itex] for all i and so [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n a_i< kn[/itex].

Related to Proofs by contraposition and contradiction

What is a proof by contraposition?

A proof by contraposition is a method of mathematical proof that involves proving the contrapositive of a statement instead of the original statement. The contrapositive is formed by negating both the hypothesis and the conclusion of the original statement. If the contrapositive is shown to be true, then the original statement is also true.

Can any statement be proven by contraposition?

No, not all statements can be proven by contraposition. This method of proof can only be used for statements that are in the form of "if p, then q". Additionally, the statement must also be able to be negated in a meaningful way.

What is a proof by contradiction?

A proof by contradiction is a method of mathematical proof that involves assuming the opposite of what you are trying to prove and then showing that it leads to a contradiction or an inconsistency. This proves that the original statement must be true.

Can any statement be proven by contradiction?

Yes, any statement can be proven by contradiction. This method of proof is particularly useful for proving statements that are difficult to prove directly or by other methods.

What are the benefits of using proofs by contraposition and contradiction?

Proofs by contraposition and contradiction are useful because they provide alternative methods for proving statements and can sometimes be easier or more efficient than other methods. They also require critical thinking and can help to strengthen understanding of mathematical concepts.