Proofing Catalan Numbers: A Combinatoric Approach

In summary: In_Summary,_I_think_there_is_a_relationship_between_the_formula_for_the_catalan_number_and_my_problem
msmith12
I'm working on a problem that has to do with catalan numbers, and I'm just trying to figure out how to make a proof that shows what I am dealing with does in fact have to do with catalan numbers.

I know this is very general, but I don't want someone to do my problem for me, I just want to know how to do a combinatoric proof of anything that has to do with these numbers...

any help would be greatly appreciated

~matt

Physics news on Phys.org
One way if you can "whatever" in your problem with the actual catalan number expression (1/n+1)C(2n,n) or if it has to do anything with the generating function of the catalan number.

Another way could be to reduce "whatever" in your problem to the known problems which have to do something with catalan number. (e.g number of binary trees of n nodes is a catalan number or the euler polygon problem or ballot problem)

-- AI

I worked on the problem again, and tried to find a relationship between the formula C(n)=C(0)C(n-1)+C(1)C(n-2)+...+C(n-1)C(0), and my problem.

The problem is to find the number of possible 2xn matrices consisting of the first 2n integers so that the numbers in both the first and second rows are increasing, and the number in row 1, column j is less than the number in row 2 (for any j)...

I've been trying to come up with something using a tree, since the problem can easily be divided into two distinct halves-- notably

12xxx...x
xxxxx...2n

and

13xxx...x
2xxxx...2n

from this, it is really easy to divide each side into the sum of smaller matrices that satisfy the necessary conditions.

I guess the point I am now, is how can I turn this into a combinatoric proof that there are exactly Cn possible combinations?

Thanks

There is a counting argument to obtain Catalan Numbers, which involves the use of Dyck numbers discovered by D Andre. It is a little too long to write it in here, but it is used to determine:

[tex]C(n) = \frac{(2n)!}{n!n!} -\frac{(2n)!}{(n-1)!(n+1)!}[/tex]

See: http://www.answers.com/topic/catalan-number

Related to Proofing Catalan Numbers: A Combinatoric Approach

1. What are Catalan numbers and why are they important in combinatorics?

Catalan numbers are a sequence of integers that appear in many combinatorial problems, such as counting the number of ways to arrange parentheses in an expression. They are named after the Belgian mathematician Eugene Catalan and have applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and computer science.

2. What approach was used to prove the Catalan number formula?

The combinatorial approach was used to prove the Catalan number formula. This method involves counting the number of ways a problem can be solved through combinations and permutations, rather than algebraic manipulation.

3. What is the formula for calculating Catalan numbers?

The formula for calculating Catalan numbers is given by Cn = (2n)!/(n!(n+1)!), where n is the number of pairs of parentheses.

4. Can the Catalan number formula be generalized to other problems?

Yes, the Catalan number formula can be generalized to other problems involving balanced sequences, such as counting the number of ways to arrange certain types of brackets or parentheses.

5. What are some real-life applications of Catalan numbers?

Catalan numbers have a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, biology, and physics. For example, they can be used to model the folding of RNA molecules, analyze the efficiency of algorithms, and study the behavior of particles in physics simulations.