Proof using the closed graph theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a sequence x on the Natural numbers is square summable if the product sequence xy is absolutely summable for any square summable sequence y. The hint to use the Closed graph theorem is given, and it is explained that the operator T_x is closed. The solution to the problem is achieved by showing that convergence in any ##\ell^p## implies entry-wise convergence. This conclusion saves the person a lot of time and effort.
A_B
Hi,

I'm stuck on a problem in functional analysis. Let x be a sequence on the Natural nummers such that for any square summable sequence y, the product sequence xy is absolutely summable. Then x is square summable.

Hint : Use the Closed graph theorem.

If I can prove the map Tx : y -> xy had a closed graph then It Follows from the Closed graph theorem that Tx is bounded and therefore that x is square summable, but I can't seem to show that the graph is Closed. Am I following the right path? Any hints?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right path. You need to show that your operator ##T_x:\ell^2\to\ell^1##, ##T_x y = xy##, where the product means entrywise product is closed. This fact is very simple, almost a triviality: it follows from the fact that convergence in any ##\ell^p## implies the entry wise convergence.

Let me explain; to avoid mess with double indices, I'll use the "functional notation" for sequences, i.e. a sequence ##x## will be ##x=(x(1), x(2), \ldots)##. Since ##|y(k)| \le \|y\|_{\ell^p}## (for all ##k## and ##p##) we conclude that if ##\|y_n-y\|_{\ell^2} \to 0## then $$\lim_{n\to\infty} y_n(k) = y(k)$$ for all ##k##. Similarly, if additionally ##\|x y_n -z\|_{\ell^1}\to 0## then for all ##k## $$\lim_{n\to\infty} x (k)y_n(k) =z(k).$$ But on the other hand we already know that ##\lim_{n\to\infty} y_n(k) = y(k)##, so $$\lim_{n\to\infty} x (k)y_n(k) =x(k)y(k),$$ which means that ##z=xy##.

So the operator ##T_x## is closed.

Likes A_B
As is so often the case with mathematics,the solution to the problem seems so obvious once it is known. This concludes for me a few days of staring at a blank page.

Thank You, Hawkeye. You saved me a lot of time.

Related to Proof using the closed graph theorem

1. What is the closed graph theorem?

The closed graph theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a linear operator between two topological vector spaces has a closed graph, then it is a continuous operator.

2. How is the closed graph theorem used in mathematical proofs?

The closed graph theorem is often used in mathematical proofs to show that a linear operator is continuous. By proving that the graph of the operator is closed, it can be concluded that the operator is continuous.

3. Can the closed graph theorem be applied to non-linear operators?

No, the closed graph theorem only applies to linear operators. For non-linear operators, other theorems and techniques must be used to prove their continuity.

4. What are the implications of the closed graph theorem?

The closed graph theorem has important implications in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics. It allows for the study of continuity and convergence of operators, and can also be used to prove important results such as the inverse function theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to the closed graph theorem?

Yes, the closed graph theorem only applies to topological vector spaces. It cannot be used in other spaces such as Banach spaces or Hilbert spaces. It also requires the assumption that the spaces involved are Hausdorff, which may not always be the case.