Proof using mathematical induction

In summary: The statement may seem obvious, but we need to prove it using induction to ensure that it holds for all natural numbers. This is an important concept in mathematics.In summary, we need to prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is divisible by 120 for every natural number n greater or equal to 3. This can be done by applying induction and using the Binomial theorem. Alternatively, we can use factorisation to show that the polynomial is divisible by 120. The use of induction is important to ensure that the statement holds for all natural numbers.
cdummie
Prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is divisible by 120. for every natural number n greater or equal to 3.

First, i checked if it works for n=3 and it does,

so i could assume it works for some k>=3 so i could write k^5 - 5k^3 + 4k as 120*a a is natural number

so for k+1 i have:

(k+1)^5 - 5(k+1)^3 + 4(k+1)

and after applying Binomial theorem i got:

k^5 - 5k^3 + 4k + 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k =

120a + 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k

so now i only have to prove that 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k is divisible by 120 but the problem is that i don't know how, doing induction again would be too complicated, so i tried to see what happen if k is even and what happens if k is odd number, if it's even i can write it as 2 times some number b but i end up with

80b^4 + 80b^3 - 20b^2 - 20b which is divisible by 20 and that doesn't mean is that is divisible by 120. What can i do, is this good approach?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cdummie said:
Prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is divisible by 120. for every natural number n greater or equal to 3.

First, i checked if it works for n=3 and it does,

so i could assume it works for some k>=3 so i could write k^5 - 5k^3 + 4k as 120*a a is natural number

so for k+1 i have:

(k+1)^5 - 5(k+1)^3 + 4(k+1)

and after applying Binomial theorem i got:

k^5 - 5k^3 + 4k + 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k =

120a + 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k

so now i only have to prove that 5k^4 + 10k^3 - 5k^2 - 10k is divisible by 120 but the problem is that i don't know how, doing induction again would be too complicated, so i tried to see what happen if k is even and what happens if k is odd number, if it's even i can write it as 2 times some number b but i end up with

80b^4 + 80b^3 - 20b^2 - 20b which is divisible by 20 and that doesn't mean is that is divisible by 120. What can i do, is this good approach?

Re another approach: what about factorisation?

PeroK said:
Re another approach: what about factorisation?

I will have product of five consecutive natural numbers which is divisible by 120, but i have to use induction to prove this.

cdummie said:
I will have product of five consecutive natural numbers which is divisible by 120, but i have to use induction to prove this.
You don't need induction. 120=2.3.4.5. 5 consecutive positive numbers are divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 5. To clarify about even numbers - there will be 2 even numbers in the string, one of which will be divisible by 4.

mathman said:
5 consecutive positive numbers are divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 5.
It would be useful (and maybe even required) for the OP to prove this statement.

mathman said:
You don't need induction. 120=2.3.4.5. 5 consecutive positive numbers are divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 5. To clarify about even numbers - there will be 2 even numbers in the string, one of which will be divisible by 4.

OK, i don't need induction to prove this, there are different ways, i know. But the problem statement is such that i have to use induction to prove it, otherwise it doesn't count, so how can i solve it using induction?

cdummie said:
OK, i don't need induction to prove this, there are different ways, i know. But the problem statement is such that i have to use induction to prove it, otherwise it doesn't count, so how can i solve it using induction?

You rejected the idea of multiple inductions for no good reason that I can see. If you must use induction, go back to your original approach and work on the second polynomial you generated. It's got a factor of 5, which should make things easier.

[itex]5k^4+10k^3-5k^2-10k=5(k-1)k(k+1)(k+2)[/itex]. You can work it out from here.

Likes FactChecker
mathman said:
[itex]5k^4+10k^3-5k^2-10k=5(k-1)k(k+1)(k+2)[/itex]. You can work it out from here.
Actually i tried using induction more than once and i ended up with doing induction five times but i solved it, thanks for help.

maybe technically induction is required, but isn't it obvious that in any sequence of 5 consecutive natural numbers, at least one is divisible by 5, one is divisible by 3 and one is divisible by 4, and another is divisible by 2? bingo. but i guess the point is to practice induction.

Likes cdummie
mathman said:
Factoring would also have worked for the first step. n5 - 5n3 + 4n = (n-2)(n-1)n(n+1)(n+2)

Likes cdummie
mathwonk said:
maybe technically induction is required, but isn't it obvious that in any sequence of 5 consecutive natural numbers, at least one is divisible by 5, one is divisible by 3 and one is divisible by 4, and another is divisible by 2? bingo. but i guess the point is to practice induction.
Exactly, that is the point. Practicing mathematical induction.

Related to Proof using mathematical induction

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove that a statement or a property holds for every natural number. It is based on the principle that if a statement is true for the first natural number, and if it is also true for the next natural number assuming it is true for the previous one, then it is true for all natural numbers.

When is mathematical induction used?

Mathematical induction is used when we want to prove that a statement or a property holds for all natural numbers. It is especially useful in proving statements about sequences, series, and recursive definitions.

What are the steps involved in a proof using mathematical induction?

The steps involved in a proof using mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Basis step: Show that the statement is true for the first natural number.
  2. Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary natural number, generally denoted by k.
  3. Inductive step: Use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1.
  4. Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What is the difference between weak and strong induction?

Weak induction and strong induction are two different forms of mathematical induction. In weak induction, we assume that the statement is true for a specific natural number and use this to prove that it is also true for the next natural number. In strong induction, we assume that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to a specific one, and use this to prove that it is true for the next natural number. In other words, strong induction uses a stronger assumption than weak induction.

Can mathematical induction be used to prove all statements?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that hold for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about real numbers, which are infinite and not discrete like natural numbers. Additionally, it is important to note that the inductive step must be valid in order for the proof to be considered valid. If the inductive step is not logically sound, the proof using mathematical induction is not valid.