Proof using greatest common divisor.

In summary, the conversation was about a proof for the statement "If c divides a and b, then c divides the greatest common divisor of a and b, where c is a natural number and a and b are integers." The proof involved showing that c can be expressed as a linear combination of a and b, and therefore must divide their greatest common divisor. There was some discussion about whether a step in the proof was necessary or redundant, but it was agreed that the overall ideas in the proof were correct.
bonfire09

Homework Statement

The problem went "If c|a and c|b then c|gcd(a,b) where cεN and a,bεZ"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof went like this " Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Lets
start with cd=ax+by where d,x,yεZ since the gcd(a,b) can be rewritten as a linear combination.
Substituting a and b we get cd=(cr)ax+(cs)ay <=> cd=c(rax+say) where rax+sayεZ. Hence
c|gcd(a,b).

is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
bonfire09 said:

Homework Statement

The problem went "If c|a and c|b then c|gcd(a,b) where cεN and a,bεZ"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My proof went like this " Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Lets
start with cd=ax+by where d,x,yεZ since the gcd(a,b) can be rewritten as a linear combination.
Substituting a and b we get cd=(cr)ax+(cs)ay <=> cd=c(rax+say) where rax+sayεZ. Hence
c|gcd(a,b).

is this right?

Notice where I've bolded. You jumped out too far there. You're right to say that :

a=cr and b=cs

It's also good that you realize the gcd is a linear combination, but that does not automatically imply what you've stated here.

What you should say is suppose gcd(a,b) = d for some integer d. Then it follows that gcd(a,b) = d = ax + by for some integers x and y.

Now using d = ax + by the rest of your proof will follow smoothly.

c is a common divisor of a and b so in particular it is equal to the gcd. This part is trivial. Assume now that c is a common divisor smaller (in modulus) than gcd. You need to show that there's x integer so that gcd = x c.

Assume a = c alpha, b = c beta. What happens if (alpha,beta) =1, i.e. gcd(alpha,beta)=1 ? Who's c ?

I agree the first part of my proof makes a leap but not a very big leap. So my proof should read like this " Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Suppose gcd(a,b) = d for some integer d. Then it follows that gcd(a,b) = d = ax + by for some integers x and y. Thus ct=d for some tεZ which becomes ct=ax+by. Substituting a and b we get ct=(cr)ax+(cs)ay <=> ct=c(rax+say) where rax+sayεZ. Hence c|gcd(a,b).

It makes the proof look cleaner but doesn't change much. I used the fact that gcd(a,b) by definition can be written as a linear combination of some multiples of integers a and b.

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
I agree the first part of my proof makes a leap but not a very big leap. So my proof should read like this " Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Suppose gcd(a,b) = d for some integer d. Then it follows that gcd(a,b) = d = ax + by for some integers x and y. Thus ct=d for some tεZ which becomes ct=ax+by. Substituting a and b we get ct=(cr)ax+(cs)ay <=> ct=c(rax+say) where rax+sayεZ. Hence c|gcd(a,b).

It makes the proof look cleaner but doesn't change much. I used the fact that gcd(a,b) by definition can be written as a linear combination of some multiples of integers a and b.

Er what I was thinking was if :
a=cr and b=cs

d = ax + by
d = crx + csy
d = c(rx + sy)

And hence c divides d. Making the substitution for d is redundant.

oh I realize I made an error in my original proof. "Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Suppose gcd(a,b) = d for some integer d. Then it follows that gcd(a,b) = d = ax + by for some integers x and y. Thus ct=d for some tεZ which becomes ct=ax+by. Substituting a and b we get ct=(cr)x+(cs)y <=> ct=c(rx+sy) (right here where I left a)where rx+syεZ. Hence c|gcd(a,b).

Yeah its redundant. I wouldn't say its a bad thing as it can be fixed. But I just wanted to verify that the ideas in this proof are on the right track. Ill clean this proof up.

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
oh I realize I made an error in my original proof. "Let a=cr and b=cs where r,sεZ. We want to show c|gcd(a,b). Suppose gcd(a,b) = d for some integer d. Then it follows that gcd(a,b) = d = ax + by for some integers x and y. Thus ct=d for some tεZ which becomes ct=ax+by. Substituting a and b we get ct=(cr)x+(cs)y <=> ct=c(rx+sy) (right here where I left a)where rx+syεZ. Hence c|gcd(a,b).

Yeah its redundant. I wouldn't say its a bad thing as it can be fixed. But I just wanted to verify that the ideas in this proof are on the right track. Ill clean this proof up.

Yes it's the right idea for sure. Just saying why do more work than you have to right ;)?

Related to Proof using greatest common divisor.

1. What is a greatest common divisor (GCD)?

A greatest common divisor (GCD) is the largest positive integer that divides two or more numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. How is the GCD used in proof?

The GCD is used in proof to show that two numbers are divisible by a common factor, and therefore have a common divisor. It is also used to simplify fractions and equations by dividing both sides by the GCD.

3. What is the Euclidean algorithm for finding GCD?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method for finding the GCD of two numbers by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new divisor. This process is repeated until the remainder is 0, and the last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

4. Can GCD be negative or zero?

No, GCD is always a positive integer. If one or both of the numbers are negative, the GCD is still the positive integer that divides both numbers without leaving a remainder.

5. How is GCD related to prime numbers?

Every prime number has a GCD of 1 with any other number. This is because prime numbers only have factors of 1 and itself. Therefore, if two numbers have a GCD of 1, they do not share any common factors other than 1, and one of them must be a prime number.