Proof the trig sum and difference identities

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to figure out how sin(75) = sin(35+45) without readily memorizing them. They have drawn a 30 degree triangle on the unit circle and adjacent to the hypotenouse, drawn the 45 degree triangle, and drawn a 75 degree triangle to try to reason it through. Once they understand the pattern, they can memorize the formula.
nando94
My homework is to find the sin or cos value of angle that is not directly known on the unit circle. So of course we are given an equation which adds or subracts known values to get the desired one.

The problem is that I don't think memorizing them is helping me learn. I want to know how the sin(75) = sin(35+45) without readily memorizing them. So far what I did was draw a 30 degree triangle on the unit circle and then adjacent to the hypotenouse, I drew the 45 degree triangle. Then I drew a 75 degree triangle and tried to reason it through from the there but its not working. So can someone clarify why these identities work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied complex numbers, and specifically DeMoivre's theorem? Because if you haven't, memorizing the formula is going to be a lot easier than proving it each time in your exam.

http://www.themathpage.com/atrig/sum-proof.htm

Nah my class is not that far yet. Everything is nearly culminating to calc now.

Then if you want to understand why the identities work, you'll have to work your way through the proof that I linked. If there are any parts you don't understand in the proof, you can always ask us to help clarify it for you :wink:

Or you can take the easy road out and just accept it, because in the end you'll still have to memorize the formula.

Thanks. I will check it out and see if it answers my question. I would rather take the hard road and understand what I am doing so that I can apply it better. Also are these identities used a lot in calc? I am going to take it next year.

nando94 said:
I would rather take the hard road and understand what I am doing so that I can apply it better.
Sure, I understand that.

nando94 said:
Also are these identities used a lot in calc? I am going to take it next year.
Not so much in calc, but the trig sums continue to appear in many different applications throughout your schooling - even in college/university. So it's definitely worth memorizing. Try to get a feel for the patterns that sin(A+B) has as then cos(A+B). Tan always seemed to be the easiest to remember, maybe because it wasn't similar to any other trig.

Related to Proof the trig sum and difference identities

1. What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities are the sine, cosine, and tangent identities. They are defined as follows: sin(x) = opposite / hypotenuse, cos(x) = adjacent / hypotenuse, and tan(x) = opposite / adjacent.

2. How do I prove the sum of two angles identity?

The sum of two angles identity states that sin(x + y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y) and cos(x + y) = cos(x)cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y). To prove this, we use the definition of sine and cosine, as well as the angle addition formulas for sine and cosine.

3. What is the difference between the sum and difference identities?

The sum identities involve adding two angles together, while the difference identities involve subtracting one angle from another. The formulas for the sum identities are sin(x + y) and cos(x + y), while the formulas for the difference identities are sin(x - y) and cos(x - y).

4. Why are the trigonometric identities important?

The trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to solve complex trigonometric equations, simplify expressions, and prove other mathematical theorems. They are also used heavily in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

5. Can you give an example of using the sum and difference identities?

Sure, let's say we want to find the exact value of sin(75°). Using the sum identity for sine, we can rewrite this as sin(30° + 45°). Using the angle addition formula for sine, we get sin(30°)cos(45°) + cos(30°)sin(45°). Since we know the exact values for sin(30°), cos(30°), sin(45°), and cos(45°), we can plug them in and solve to get the exact value of sin(75°).