How Has the Bible Survived Against All Odds?

• Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the Bible's survival is a remarkable story of how it has withstood numerous challenges and attempts to destroy it, showcasing its potential as the word of God. The Bible contains wisdom that goes beyond human capabilities, providing practical guidance for various aspects of life such as money, addictions, relationships, and moral conduct. This wisdom has been recognized and praised by influential figures throughout history. Despite being written over a span of thousands of years, the Bible's message remains consistent and many of its teachings are still applicable today. The writers of the Bible claim that their words are inspired by God, a claim that is repeated by many different writers, further emphasizing the potential of the Bible as a source of higher wisdom.
Originally posted by Iacchus32
Even so, I don't think such a thing comes highly recommended, except under dire circumstances such as this.

dire circumstances? they lived in a cave. Seems to me they were just reluctant (or maybe lazy) to go to the next town and settle there... even then there must have been some civilization near by. I can't believe some normal folks who just escaped from a doomed city would stay in a cave for the rest of their lives

It sounds a bit extreme. Even so, I see no reason why we couldn't forgive you and put you out of your misery at the same time ... :wink:

This is forgiveness to you? I don't want to know what would have happened if you didn't forgive me...

Can you argue that any other book is closer "in essence" to God than the Bible is?

Tell me what's the essence of God and I'll try to find a book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
dire circumstances? they lived in a cave. Seems to me they were just reluctant (or maybe lazy) to go to the next town and settle there... even then there must have been some civilization near by. I can't believe some normal folks who just escaped from a doomed city would stay in a cave for the rest of their lives

GOd, I know, what idiocy! You would think they'd at least have the sense to pick up the phone and call 911!

Actually, it's just one of many stories I've read, which I don't find the need to dwell on which, for some reason you do!

This is forgiveness to you? I don't want to know what would have happened if you didn't forgive me...
I probably would have been dead anyway if you had poisoned the water supply! :wink:

Tell me what's the essence of God and I'll try to find a book.
Now why would you trust me in the first place? ... Please don't ... :wink:

You know something that would make a real good piece of proof?

A prophecy from the bible, in which it was not fuffilled within the bible, but here recently.

Of course I've heard people say the WTC was predicted, ww2, etc, but how hard is it to predict that there is going to be a war, or buildings blown up?

Any quotes from the bible pop in your head?

Originally posted by megashawn
You know something that would make a real good piece of proof?

A prophecy from the bible, in which it was not fuffilled within the bible, but here recently.

Of course I've heard people say the WTC was predicted, ww2, etc, but how hard is it to predict that there is going to be a war, or buildings blown up?

Any quotes from the bible pop in your head?
Yes, here are some pretty interesting ideas I've kicked around with the book of Revelation, where I substituted a "chapter for a month" and a "verse for a day." For example, Revelation 12:7 corresponds to December 7th, which speaks of the war that starts in heaven, and Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. Hmm ... Could it possibly have something to do with the "imperialistic dragon" of Japan which, happened to bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7th? I give several other examples here, including a lengthy piece about the World Trade Center bombing.

Also, in the letter to President Bush -- yeah, that's right -- I suggested Iraq was probably responsible for the bombings (although I later realized it wasn't the case), which seems kind of ironic, because here we were are now winding the whole the down with the conquering of Iraq!

http://www.dionysus.org/x0602.html#68

Well, after reading that page, and the email, I now know for certain that I never want to be the president. Guess I need to change my email address.

While your associating numbers, you also seem to be using a lot of confusing tactics to attempt to make your point. So according to your 12:7 idea, you truly believe that America is represented metaphorically as Micheal and his angels? hahahahahaha

Ok, I forgot that a person can prove peanut butter exists by showing you jelly.

Interesting read, you ever consider writing fiction?

Well, after reading that page, and the email, I now know for certain that I never want to be the president. Guess I need to change my email address.
Do you mean because of nuts like me? :wink:

While your associating numbers, you also seem to be using a lot of confusing tactics to attempt to make your point. So according to your 12:7 idea, you truly believe that America is represented metaphorically as Micheal and his angels? hahahahahaha
Did you know that the identity of the body in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was named Michael Joseph Blassie? Which seems to suggest, "He who wards off blasphemy?" While it's funny how when I discovered this (a TV program about the year in review), that on the very next day, January 2nd, 1998, I fell asleep and had a vision of a man lunging at someone with a knife. And, come to find out later on the late-night news, that the first person who was murdured in the Portland, Oregon area, was named Michael Joseph Scholls! And guess how he died? In a knife fight! Now isn't that strange?

Ok, I forgot that a person can prove peanut butter exists by showing you jelly.
Well, actually it's sort of like filling in a cross-word puzzle.

Interesting read, you ever consider writing fiction?
Actually, to be honest, I'm not good at making things up. :wink:

The association thing with numbers by the way, is merely the ability to recognize things by their patterns.

Last edited:
Actually, it's just one of many stories I've read, which I don't find the need to dwell on which, for some reason you do!

wont' bother you any more. Take only the parts you like from the Bible, ignore the rest of "God's words" if you don't like them...
why don't you apply the "chapter for a month" and a "verse for a day" to the whole Revelations and see how many valid prophecies you have?

Now why would you trust me in the first place? ... Please don't ...

that remark is totally out of line IMO . I usually don't post in this forum (only read) but I consider you an challenging opponent

wont' bother you any more. Take only the parts you like from the Bible, ignore the rest of "God's words" if you don't like them...
Now why should I have to defend myself over this matter?

why don't you apply the "chapter for a month" and a "verse for a day" to the whole Revelations and see how many valid prophecies you have?
It's totally unnecessary.

that remark is totally out of line IMO . I usually don't post in this forum (only read) but I consider you an challenging opponent
Except that I don't like compromising myself merely for the expediency of others. Hey if you have a problem with something man, I would suggest you "drop" the negativity. And maybe it wouldn't become such a major issue? :wink:

Yes, here are some pretty interesting ideas I've kicked around with the book of Revelation, where I substituted a "chapter for a month" and a "verse for a day." For example, Revelation 12:7 corresponds to December 7th, which speaks of the war that starts in heaven, and Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. Hmm ... Could it possibly have something to do with the "imperialistic dragon" of Japan which, happened to bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7th?

You seem to be rather proud of your december 7th idea, as you repeated it, 3, 4 times on your site.

Anyhow, it seems like quite a coincidence, but only after applying your methods. Like someone suggest, what happens when you put that whole method to work on the entire book of revelations?

Also, you seem to take this one line out of context, as the original verses posted below reveals:

12:7
And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

12:8
And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

12:10
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

You suggest that micheal and his angels are a metaphorical representation of the United States? That the unknown soldier tomb happened to be named Micheal. Do you have any idea how generic that name is? Where do you get that Micheal Joseph Blassie impliess "He who wards of blasphemy"

At first glance, you provide some seemingly compelling evidence. After rereading, it seems you use tactics of religion pushers such as confusion and repetitive statements to attempt at making a point.

So basically, without some extreme twisting around of the statements made in Revelations, there are no events specifically describing events that happen now.

You know, something like a passage "And there will be a great nation, and a group of terrorists will crash a plane into one of its greatest buildings."

From reading your guest book, seems it works well on those already duped.

I'll tell you what. Whats the next big thing that's going to happen, not happened yet. It seems with all your prophetic dreams and connections this should be an easy one for you. Then you can reference this thread to use as proof once it's happened.

One more question for ya. What makes you so special? Why is it that you get the messages, interpretations, dreams etc, when so little of the world is aware of them?

And what kind of relation are you trying to make between Greek gods and christianity? The only one I can see is they are both products of early man and limited understanding of nature.

You seem to be rather proud of your december 7th idea, as you repeated it, 3, 4 times on your site.
No, only because it's a compelling idea, one of many that I work with.

Anyhow, it seems like quite a coincidence, but only after applying your methods. Like someone suggest, what happens when you put that whole method to work on the entire book of revelations?
Did you bother to read any of the other examples on my page? It doesn't sound like it. Or, if you didn't understand something perhaps you should say so? Your "attacking me" is not going to change things.

Also, you seem to take this one line out of context, as the original verses posted below reveals:
Yes, that's a very interesting word, "prophecy," how do you know which way something is going to lean? And yet the only things I have spoken of here are things which are obvious, in the sense that they "stand out," and suggest a possible relationship. I haven't made any real predictions have I?

You suggest that micheal and his angels are a metaphorical representation of the United States? That the unknown soldier tomb happened to be named Micheal. Do you have any idea how generic that name is? Where do you get that Micheal Joseph Blassie impliess "He who wards of blasphemy"
You're the one who brought it up, no doubt because you thought I had no reply. And how generic is the name Michael by the way, compared to hundreds of thousands of other names? Why not Tom, Dick or Harry? Or even Cynthia?

You see you can pick apart each one of things individually and find the least little thing about it, and say, "Nah, that isn't right," but you can't keep doing this when these things keep happening over and over again and begin to establish a pattern. It's like putting together a jig-saw, if you have one little piece of the puzzle by itself, without the rest of the pieces to compare it to, fine, it doesn't mean anything. And yet if you have an entire box of pieces, then maybe you can begin to piece it all together. Which is really all I'm trying to do.

At first glance, you provide some seemingly compelling evidence. After rereading, it seems you use tactics of religion pushers such as confusion and repetitive statements to attempt at making a point.
Tactics huh? You're the first one who has ever accused me of that! Then again I don't get many people to read my book (at least that I'm aware of).

So basically, without some extreme twisting around of the statements made in Revelations, there are no events specifically describing events that happen now.
What the hell did you want anyway, the whole thing etched in gold? Yes, this is the only way we can make anything sound reasonable is by twisting it around. Hmm ...

You know, something like a passage "And there will be a great nation, and a group of terrorists will crash a plane into one of its greatest buildings."
And yet if I were to make a prediction long into the future, it would probably be reflective of my "own times," and most likely inhibit the people in the future from interpeting it ...

From reading your guest book, seems it works well on those already duped.
Do you know how many people have signed my guestbook in the last six years? 20 maybe? I wouldn't base anything upon that. I hardly ever read the damn thing anyway.

And what are you afraid I might make some money off it? I can assure I've been working on it for fourteen years now, after having put in thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of my time, and I have yet to make one thin dime!

I'll tell you what. Whats the next big thing that's going to happen, not happened yet. It seems with all your prophetic dreams and connections this should be an easy one for you. Then you can reference this thread to use as proof once it's happened.
Actually most of my work speaks of the "synchronicty" -- I hope that's not too fancy of a word for you? -- that already exists. I'm afraid it doesn't work well for predicting the future, although I have had a few predictations come true.

One more question for ya. What makes you so special? Why is it that you get the messages, interpretations, dreams etc, when so little of the world is aware of them?
Or maybe this is really your problem? If you understood some of the experiences I've had to go through, many of which I wouldn't wish upon anyone, then maybe you would understand? :wink:

And what kind of relation are you trying to make between Greek gods and christianity? The only one I can see is they are both products of early man and limited understanding of nature.
Only goes to show that God comes in many shapes and sizes -- or, as some would term, "masks" -- and explains why many people will never find it.

Actually, I probably could have spared a lot of time having to write all of that, if I had just reiterated what you stated in quotes ...

Yes, here are some pretty interesting ideas I've kicked around with the book of Revelation ...
Boy that was a big waste!

Yes, here are some pretty interesting ideas I've kicked around with the book of Revelation, where I substituted a "chapter for a month" and a "verse for a day." For example, Revelation 12:7 corresponds to December 7th, which speaks of the war that starts in heaven, and Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. Hmm ... Could it possibly have something to do with the "imperialistic dragon" of Japan which, happened to bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7th? I give several other examples here, including a lengthy piece about the World Trade Center bombing.

So uh..wait..let me think here...So..you're saying that Stephen Langton was phrophetic when he broke the bible up into chapters in the 12th century? or uh..oh..no...wait...you must be saying that Robert Estienne was phrophetic when he further broke those chapters up into verses on this little carriage ride to lyons, france in the mid 1500's? Is that it?...that what your saying?! cause I can't see any other way for the date and verse to be part of biblical phrophesy unless these two guys were involved, well over a 1,000 years after the death of Christ!

Originally posted by kat
So uh..wait..let me think here...So..you're saying that Stephen Langton was phrophetic when he broke the bible up into chapters in the 12th century? or uh..oh..no...wait...you must be saying that Robert Estienne was phrophetic when he further broke those chapters up into verses on this little carriage ride to lyons, france in the mid 1500's? Is that it?...that what your saying?! cause I can't see any other way for the date and verse to be part of biblical phrophesy unless these two guys were involved, well over a 1,000 years after the death of Christ!
Excuse me? It wasn't originally written in English either now was it? And, I suppose since it's possible to call the whole thing up on my computer screen, instead of the original parchment, then that would invalidate it too?

I think the thing that people fail to realize here, is that God does His work "through" human agency.

Excuse me? It wasn't originally written in English either now was it? And, I suppose since it's possible to call the whole thing up on my computer screen, instead of the original parchment, then that would invalidate it too?

I think the thing that people fail to realize here, is that God does His work "through" human agency.

*Boggle* Mr. Iacchus, there's no comparison with a translation which by all rights and reason SHOULD (although in reality it doesn't) give the same information as the original text did at the time of writing with your "prophesy" that did not exist PRIOR to the mid 1500's.
Nor is there a comparison with what the words which by all rights and reason should (although in reality the DON'T) offer the same stories and information as they did in the original text with YOUR 'prophesy' that did not exist, could not exist, because it was not written! prior to the 1500's. SO in essence what you are saying that YOU believe God did his work through Stephen Langton and Robert Estienne in the 12th and 16th centuries? and to that I would say is your name..by any chance..Joseph Smith Jr.?

Originally posted by kat
*Boggle* Mr. Iacchus, there's no comparison with a translation which by all rights and reason SHOULD (although in reality it doesn't) give the same information as the original text did at the time of writing with your "prophesy" that did not exist PRIOR to the mid 1500's.
Nor is there a comparison with what the words which by all rights and reason should (although in reality the DON'T) offer the same stories and information as they did in the original text with YOUR 'prophesy' that did not exist, could not exist, because it was not written! prior to the 1500's. SO in essence what you are saying that YOU believe God did his work through Stephen Langton and Robert Estienne in the 12th and 16th centuries? and to that I would say is your name..by any chance..Joseph Smith Jr.?
And yet this is the way it's been passed down, and is the material which has been "etched" into everyone's brains. So this does have a lot to do with it believe it or not -- you know, you work with what you got? Besides, it's the Holy Spirit which teaches us, not the words in a book.

It's like I said, people fail to realize that God has His hand in everything, which is why they so often miss the boat.

Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:4-5).
How can you argue with that? Besides, I haven't really prophesized anything, just drawn up some correlations -- or, "evidence" if you will -- suggesting the possibility of God's hand at work. Am sorry people are unwilling to make the connection.

Last edited:
It's like I said, people fail to realize that God has His hand in everything, which is why they so often miss the boat.

so why only the Bible is His words? why can't you accept all the books as God's words?

so why only the Bible is His words? why can't you accept all the books as God's words?
Here's why:

"You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you." - Deuteronomy 4:2

Shouldn't that be one of the last verses in the Bible? After all how can you tell if something written after Deuteronomy was added with God's explicit permission or not? You just show up and say "Hi, I'm Jeremiah and I have a new book to add to the Bible"...

Well, perhaps for the same reason He ordained Jeremiah? While I'm sure there are other books you can read, it's just that this is the one that's been handed down over the millenia and is closest to "the source."

What source would that be?
Please read this article and tell me your opinion... Did all the people who modified the bible in some way were God inspired? How can you be sure?

What source would that be?
Please read this article and tell me your opinion... Did all the people who modified the bible in some way were God inspired? How can you be sure?
What are you suggesting that the Bible isn't complete? I believe that's possible. Whereas even if a lot of people had a hand in its creation, they would seem to be speaking about the same phenomenon here. And even if there were some who weren't credible, it no doubt would have been best for them keep their facts straight, otherwise suffer a lose in reputation.

Why should it be any different than any other profession?

Last edited:
What are suggesting that the Bible isn't complete?

I'm suggesting that you should tell us exactly which Bible is the word of God? I think this is an important question. Please try not to avoid it. I'm looking for an answer like: "The KJV is the true bible..." or whatever you think here but don't divert this by another unrelated question. And an argument why the other versions are not God's words would be greatly appreciated.

From the article:

The total number of Catholic Old Testament books is 46 (or 45 if we combine Jeremiah and Lamentation) while that of Protestant is 39.

seems to me that either the Catholics or the Protestants broke that Deuteronomy 4.2 copyright notice from God. Who has the true word of God?
not to mention the Funding Fathers of the church (paragraph 4 from the article) who had each one a different list of books and didn't care to much about lose of reputation to make a common one.

I'm suggesting that you should tell us exactly which Bible is the word of God? I think this is an important question. Please try not to avoid it. I'm looking for an answer like: "The KJV is the true bible..." or whatever you think here but don't divert this by another unrelated question. And an argument why the other versions are not God's words would be greatly appreciated.
I think that the Bible is a very useful tool, and I prefer to use the King James version myself, as I don't believe it's been "adulterated" as much as some of the more recent versions. Besides, I never really did say the Bible was the word of God, although I have "alluded" to it as such. You can take this to mean that I don't go around "preaching" verse and chapter to other people.

seems to me that either the Catholics or the Protestants broke that Deuteronomy 4.2 copyright notice from God. Who has the true word of God?
not to mention the Funding Fathers of the church (paragraph 4 from the article) who had each one a different list of books and didn't care to much about lose of reputation to make a common one.
The true word of God is written in our hearts. So in this sense I think the Bible is very useful in helping us find that out.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:33-34).

The true word of God is written in our hearts.

I guess this is the only point in which I agree with you...:smile:

... I think the Bible is very useful in helping us find that out.

but I think you're making a big mistake here. Although the Bible has a few good advices there are also many bad parts in it. I would use a psychology book instead.
Well, till tommorow...

Shouldn't that be one of the last verses in the Bible? After all how can you tell if something written after Deuteronomy was added with God's explicit permission or not? You just show up and say "Hi, I'm Jeremiah and I have a new book to add to the Bible"...
I don't know that I can give you an answer that will satisfy you on this point. You have to remember that at all times God was in control of what was included in the Bible. At some stage the Bible writings became recognised as inspired writings and were included as part of the scriptures. This would not have happened unless intended by God.

You can take this to mean that I don't go around "preaching" verse and chapter to other people.

The true word of God is written in our hearts.
Iacchus32, that is straight out of the Bible:

"I will put my law in their minds, and write it on their hearts." - Jeremiah 31:33

You're preaching from the Bible without knowing it!

Originally posted by Laser Eyes
I don't know that I can give you an answer that will satisfy you on this point. You have to remember that at all times God was in control of what was included in the Bible. At some stage the Bible writings became recognised as inspired writings and were included as part of the scriptures. This would not have happened unless intended by God.

Iacchus32, that is straight out of the Bible:

"I will put my law in their minds, and write it on their hearts." - Jeremiah 31:33

You're preaching from the Bible without knowing it!
Yes, this is the verse that I quoted above. And yet it's also the one that says it's no longer necessary. And neither do I make a habit out of it either. :wink:

hah, 7 pages and still no proof.

wow.

You have to remember that at all times God was in control of what was included in the Bible. At some stage the Bible writings became recognised as inspired writings and were included as part of the scriptures. This would not have happened unless intended by God.

lacchus at least said what Bible he uses.
please answer the same question and tell me what Bible was controlled by God? why did He add more stuff for the Catholics? The Protestants were bad boys or something? Why would he control only the Bible and leave the other books uninspired?

I think you have to touch this subjects too if you intend to prove that the Bible is god's words. I mean why is the Bible so important to deserve His attention? It's the history of the Jews - ok. The story of Christ and his followers - ok. But couldn't be written by men alone? Why did it need a divine intervention?

So far the conclusion is the one written by megashawn...

lacchus at least said what Bible he uses.
please answer the same question and tell me what Bible was controlled by God? why did He add more stuff for the Catholics? The Protestants were bad boys or something?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There is only one Bible. What do you mean which one? Can you be a bit more specific please.

Why would he control only the Bible and leave the other books uninspired?

I think you have to touch this subjects too if you intend to prove that the Bible is god's words. I mean why is the Bible so important to deserve His attention? It's the history of the Jews - ok. The story of Christ and his followers - ok. But couldn't be written by men alone? Why did it need a divine intervention?
I think what you are saying here is based on a misconception. The Bible was not some person's idea that God decided to give his attention to or intervene in. The Bible was God's idea from the beginning, written by men who wrote under God's inspiration. Everything in the Bible, from the history to the prophecy to the wisdom is there because God wants it there. He gave us his Word to guide us and to teach us the truth. Of course there are other books written by men that claim some sort of divine authority, but they are not God's concern. So what if men wrote other books? Is God obliged to interfere in the writing of every book that falsely claims divine authority? That would be contrary to the general "hands-off" policy that God has adopted. Satan and his minions can have their way for the time being but that that time is rapidly coming to an end.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There is only one Bible. What do you mean which one? Can you be a bit more specific please.

at the beginning of page 7 in this thread I gave a link. read what's there and you'll understand my question.

He gave us his Word to guide us and to teach us the truth
In Bible the value of pi is 3 and the sky separates the waters below from the waters above. Is that the truth?

Satan and his minions can have their way for the time being but that that time is rapidly coming to an end.
what are this guys doing in this thread?

WHat is funny is people making statements about the Bible, based solely on the Bible. This sort of circular reasoning leads absolutely nowhere. "The Bible is true, because in the Bible it says that the Bible is true." There is no other evidence that the Bible is true, except that claim. It is just another holy book written by men, inspired by...guess who?...men, of course! There is no evidence, and no need, for any God or Gods to be involved. In fact, a logical reading of any holy book leads to the same conclusion: it is a bunch of fables mixed in with the traditions andf history of the local tribe.

This makes little if no sense. The God of the Bible creates the universe, but has to write a book through ghostwriters?

Then again, teh poor guy got tired after making everything, and needed a NAP! What kind of *expletive deleted* poor excuse for a deity is that?!?

what are this guys doing in this thread?
I only mentioned them because you asked about these "other books" and why God didn't intervene in them as well as the Bible. The Bible says that Satan is the God of this world. All the false religions and books other than the Bible that claim to have divine authority were created by Satan to deceive people and prevent them from learning the truth. I'll get back to you about the other stuff.

So is satan also responsible for all these damn dinosaur bones we keep finding? The supposive flaw in Carbon dating? Hiding evidence of a global flood. Also, is Satan responsible for writing the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is much older then the bible, but shares so much?

I mean, after we get done with satan tricking us, what else do you have?

And if satan is tricking us, he's doing a damn good job. Is god leaving us on our own, having to figure out what is true, when all the supposive tricks appear true? This does not sound like an all loving person to me.

Which goes back to the bible being full of lies.