Proof that time <0 for tachyons > c

• Thread starter Powergade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Time
In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of the result DeltaT <0 for U> (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)+1)/v/c)c. The relevant equations for this problem are DeltaT = u/l + (u-v/1-uv/c^2)1/l, where DeltaT is the time for the tachyon to go and come back, u is the velocity of the tachyon, l is the distance that the tachyon goes, v is the velocity of the receiving end moving away from the tachyon, and c is the speed of light. The discussion also mentions substituting values for u, l, and v, and the possibility of turning the tachyon
Powergade
1. Homework Statement

Derive the result DeltaT <0 for U> (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)+1)/v/c)c

Homework Equations

DeltaT = u/l + (u-v/1-uv/c^2)1/l

Where:
DeltaT is the time for the tachyon to go and come back.
u is the velocity of the tachyon
l is the distance that the tachyon goes
v is the velocity of the receiving end moving away from the tachyon
c is the speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried to substitute values for u(2c),l(100m) and v(0.5c) but it gives me DeltaT = something/0 and I'm trying to get time less than zero, not infinite time.

I'm not sure that I need to put values in the equations to proof that DeltaT <0 for U> (sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)+1)/v/c)c .

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get time less than zero, doesn't that mean you have turned the tachyon into antimatter? Or does matter/antimatter not apply to tachyons?

Related to Proof that time <0 for tachyons > c

1. What is a tachyon?

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that is predicted by some theories of physics to travel faster than the speed of light. It has not been observed or proven to exist.

2. What does it mean for time to be less than zero for tachyons?

According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can slow down or speed up depending on an object's velocity. For tachyons, which are predicted to travel faster than the speed of light, time would appear to flow backwards if observed from a reference frame moving at a slower speed.

3. Why is it believed that tachyons have a negative time?

This is based on the mathematics of special relativity, which predicts that objects traveling faster than the speed of light would have imaginary mass and negative time. However, there is currently no empirical evidence to support this prediction.

4. How can we prove that time is less than zero for tachyons?

Currently, there is no way to prove this theory as tachyons have not been observed or detected. Additionally, the concept of negative time is still a theoretical concept and has not been confirmed by experimentation.

5. What would be the implications if time is less than zero for tachyons?

If the theory of negative time for tachyons is proven to be true, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics, particularly the theory of relativity. It could also have implications for time travel and causality, as objects traveling backwards in time could potentially create paradoxes.