Proof that this system is tangent to a parabola

In summary, the individual is trying to prove that equations of the form y=rx-r^(-1) are always tangent to a sideways parabola with a vertex at (0,0). After graphing and trial and error, they have found that equations with a positive r are tangent to the curve y=-(-4x)^(1/2) and equations with a negative r are tangent to y=(-4x)^(1/2). They are seeking help in finding the tangent lines to this parabola and proving their conjecture before their assignment is due. Through differentiation and manipulation of equations, it is determined that the parabola has an equation of y^2=-4x and a=-4.
Uranium235

Homework Statement

Well I would like to prove that any equation that follows the pattern y=rx-r^(-1) is tangent to some sideways parabola (I know this to be true). Problem is that I need help in finding the parabola in question and actually proving my conjecture. I do know, after graphing, that the parabola has a vertex a (0,0).

Homework Equations

y=rx-r^(-1) any linear system of this form should be tangent to a sideways parabola
y=(ax)^1/2 the equation of a sideways parabola

The Attempt at a Solution

After graphing, I realized that any equation of the form y=rx-r^(-1) where r is positive seems to be always tangent the curve y=-(-4x)^(1/2) while any equation of the form y=rx-r^(-1) where r is negative seems to be always tangent to y=(-4x)^(1/2). I got those values from trial and error only and there is no proof to support it.

Any help in clearing this up will be appreciated since my assignment is due on friday. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
you are saying that y=(ax)^1/2, So y^2=ax. Let`s find all it's tangent lines, (that is let's find the tangen in the point X Y)
Differentiating y^2=ax with respect to x gives 2 y = a dx/dy, so dy/dx=a/2y. The tangent line must have this slope. and also the point {X,Y} must be included, so "b" must stisfy the equation
Y=dy/dx X + b so b=Y-Xdy/dx thus, the equation of the tangent line at the point {X,Y} is

y=a/2Y x +Y-Xa/2Y

So, what you are saying is true as long as r=a/2Y and r^-1=Xa/2Y-Y
the first equation is the same as r^-1 =2Y/a
So, what you are saying is true as long as Xa/2Y-Y=2Y/a
Simplifying a little yields X=(4/a^2 + 2/a) Y^2
and, since Y^2=a X, then, the last equation is
X=(4/a^2 + 2/a) aX
which holds for any value of X, so
1=4/a + 2
a=-4 which is what you were looking for.

Your equations is, then y^2=-4 x. This is, of course, a parabola in the half plane of negative x, since y would have a complex value if x were positive.

Related to Proof that this system is tangent to a parabola

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is commonly found in nature and can be formed by the graph of a quadratic function.

2. How do you prove that a system is tangent to a parabola?

In order to prove that a system is tangent to a parabola, you must first find the point of tangency between the system and the parabola. This can be done by setting the equations of the system and the parabola equal to each other and solving for the values of x and y. If the values satisfy both equations, then the system is tangent to the parabola at that point.

3. What is the significance of proving that a system is tangent to a parabola?

Proving that a system is tangent to a parabola allows us to determine if the system is in contact with the parabola at a specific point. This information can be useful in solving real-world problems involving parabolas, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

4. Can a system be tangent to a parabola at more than one point?

Yes, a system can be tangent to a parabola at more than one point. This occurs when the system intersects the parabola at multiple points, creating a line of tangency.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that a system is tangent to a parabola?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving that a system is tangent to a parabola. One method is to use the fact that the slope of the tangent line at the point of tangency is equal to the slope of the parabola at that point. Another method involves finding the equation of the tangent line and showing that it is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry of the parabola.