Buy Land on the Moon: Lunar Realty Opens in Melbourne

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, a new real estate agency called Lunar Realty is selling plots of land on the moon for 59 Australian dollars for one acre and 10 acres for 298 Australian dollars. This is possible due to a loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty that allows individuals to claim land in space. There are also other companies selling land on other planets. Some are skeptical about the legitimacy of these sales, but others see it as a potential investment for the future.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/13/offbeat.moon.ap/index.html [Broken]

A new real estate agency, Lunar Realty, based in the southern Australian city of Melbourne, opens its doors Tuesday selling one-acre blocks on the moon for 59 Australian dollars (US$40) and 10-acre "lifestyle" blocks for A$298 (US$202).

I got a bad feeling about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think they could do that. The moon is international land..like Antarctica or so I thought.

Maybe the laws against false advertising are weaker in Australia :wink:

Reminds me of the shameful, shameful scams run by people 'selling' star names to folk who've lost loved ones, complete with official-looking certificates.

Originally posted by Brad_Ad23
I don't think they could do that. The moon is international land..like Antarctica or so I thought.

From the article:

Hope has been cashing in since 1980 on what he said was an apparent loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty that barred nations from laying claim to the moon but said nothing about individuals.

Hope registered a claim for the moon and planets with the United States, the Soviet government and the United Nations and, operating as Lunar Embassy, has been selling plots of extraterrestrial real estate ever since.

This is outrageous! If this is actually true, why in God's name is extraterrestrial land being sold for so cheap? What nonsense!

Hope has been cashing in since 1980 on what he said was an apparent loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty that barred nations from laying claim to the moon but said nothing about individuals.
What the UN giveth, the UN (may) taketh away ... who knows, they may also decide to impose a 150% profits tax, and make it retroactive to 1980 (I'm sure the Australian government would sign up for that, if it could get part of the proceeds)! Perhaps then Hope will emigrate to the Moon.:wink:

Originally posted by Nereid
Perhaps then Hope will emigrate to the Moon.:wink:

He had better! (if possession is in fact 9/10ths of the law)
Otherwise, I don't see what claim he has on that land other than pieces of paper here on Earth. Not so easy to evict tenants that live a quarter million miles away and are only accessible through multi-million/billion dollar transportation projects.

Plots for sale

Theres a high street retail chain in the UK that is offering acre plots of the moon for sale for £20 each (just over $30 US). No mention is made which company it is that they are dealing with in selling these plots:
http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0

And its not the only extraterrestrial body with plots 'up for sale' :
http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0 (Venus)
http://www.gadgetshop.com/TGS/produ...=0&SESSID=&BRAND=1&S_TYPE=U&AV=F&QB=F&CAMID=0 (Mars)

But are those buying these plots buying what they are assuming they are buying? [?]

Greetings !

Hmm... This is great ! I see prices are up !
I bought 140 acres about 2 years ago for about
120 US dollars. BTW, Dennis Hope, as far as I know,
is very much for real, I hope...
My great great grandchildren will be pretty rich...

Live long and prosper.

its so unfair ..., say if some aliens from other planets come to Earth and sell our land to its citizen would we like it? furthermore, aren't our land big enough alr?

This is outrageous! If this is actually true, why in God's name is extraterrestrial land being sold for so cheap? What nonsense!

QUIT COMPLAINING AND BUY BUY BUY! BEFORE ALL THE GOOD SPOTS ARE TAKEN! I'M GETTING ONE ON THE VISIBLE SIDE OF THE MOON! :wink:

Just wondering...Where do u get to buy the moon?

Originally posted by gunblaze
Just wondering...Where do u get to buy the moon?

According to the U.N., you don't. But the guy mentioned in the article I cited thinks he has found a loophole. Contact him (although I don't recommend it!)

First comes extraterrestrial land sales. Then comes extraterrestrial land squabbles. Finally, we export war from Earth.

The US Department of Defense has been carving up space for quite some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there honestly any point in buying land somewhere you will never go? Unless there are some hopefuls out there who plan on living for a very long time, I doubht that anybody who reads this post will live long enough to see people have permanent residence on the moon. If I am wrong, however, I'm interested.

People seek immortality; instead, they end up with dust.

1. Can individuals really buy land on the moon?

Yes, individuals can now purchase land on the moon through Lunar Realty in Melbourne. However, the ownership of this land is not recognized by any government or international treaty.

2. How much does it cost to buy land on the moon?

The cost of purchasing land on the moon varies depending on the size and location of the plot. Lunar Realty offers plots starting at $20 per acre.

3. Can I actually travel to my purchased land on the moon?

No, at this time, it is not possible for individuals to travel to the moon and physically visit their land. However, you will receive a certificate of ownership and a map of your plot.

4. Is buying land on the moon a legitimate investment?

No, purchasing land on the moon is not a legitimate investment as the ownership is not recognized by any government or international treaty. It is purely a novelty item.

5. What are the potential benefits of buying land on the moon?

The main benefit of purchasing land on the moon is the novelty and uniqueness of owning a piece of another celestial body. It can also serve as a fun and unique gift for friends and family.