Proof that the product of 4 consecutive numbers is not a perfect square.

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the product of four consecutive positive integers is not a perfect square. The idea is to put values of n in the function f(n)=n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3) and see that each result is one less than a square. This suggests that f(n) is always equal to k^2-1 for some integer k. To prove this, one can follow the direction of previous posts on the topic.
speencer
Hey,

I was thinking and I realized that this is true and I want to prove it but I have nowhere to start. If anyone knows any way to prove can you give me some advice on where to start.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
speencer said:
Hey,

I was thinking and I realized that this is true and I want to prove it but I have nowhere to start. If anyone knows any way to prove can you give me some advice on where to start.
Hint: Any four consecutive integers include one multiple of 4 and an odd multiple of 2.

Opalg said:
Hint: Any four consecutive integers include one multiple of 4 and an odd multiple of 2.
And obviously "an odd multiple of 2" here means the product of 2 and an odd number, not a multiple of 2 that is odd.

speencer said:
Hey,

The correct formulation should be...

Prove that the product of four consecutive numbers all different from 0 is not a perfect square...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hello, speencer!

Prove that the product of four consecutive positive integers is not a perfect square.

The four consecutive positive integers are: .[tex]x,\,x+1,\,x+2,\,x+3[/tex]

Suppose their product is a perfect square.
. . [tex]x(x+1)(x+2)(x+3) \:=\:k^2\;\text{ for some integer }k.[/tex]

We have: .. . . [tex]x(x+3)\cdot(x+1)(x+2) \:=\:k^2[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . [tex](x^2+3x)(x^2+3x+2) \:=\: k^2[/tex]

. [tex]\big[(x^2+3x+1)-1\big]\big[(x^2+3x+1) + 1\big] \:=\:k^2[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [tex](x^2+3x+1)^2 - 1^2 \:=\:k^2[/tex]

And we have: .[tex](x^2+3x+1)^2 - k^2 \:=\:1[/tex]
. . The difference of two squares is 1.

The only case is when: [tex]x^2+3x+1 \:=\:1\,\text{ and }\,k\:=\:0[/tex]

If [tex]k = 0[/tex], then one of the four integers must be zero.
We have our contradiction.

Therefore, the product of four consecutive positive integers cannot be a square.

speencer said:
Hey,

To know how to start its a good idea to "get your hands dirty". Start putting values of $n$ in $f(n)=n(n+1)(n+2)(n+3)$.

You get:
$f(1)=24, f(2)=120, f(3)=360, f(4)=840$.
Each of these is equal to a one less a square.
So one can guess that $f(n)$ always is equal to $k^2-1$ for some $k$.
Then one can go ahead in the direction of proving it which many have done in the previous posts.

Related to Proof that the product of 4 consecutive numbers is not a perfect square.

1. What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that can be obtained by multiplying an integer by itself. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is the product of 3 and 3 (3 x 3 = 9).

2. How do you prove that the product of 4 consecutive numbers is not a perfect square?

One way to prove this is by using the property that a perfect square must have an even number of factors. Since the product of 4 consecutive numbers has an odd number of factors, it cannot be a perfect square.

3. Can you provide an example of 4 consecutive numbers that proves this statement?

Yes, let's take the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. Their product is 24, which is not a perfect square because it has an odd number of factors (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24).

4. Are there any other ways to prove this statement?

Yes, another way is by using the fact that perfect squares always have an integer square root. If we take the product of 4 consecutive numbers (n, n+1, n+2, n+3) and find its square root, we will end up with a non-integer value, proving that it is not a perfect square.

5. Why is it important to prove that the product of 4 consecutive numbers is not a perfect square?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the properties of perfect squares and how they differ from other numbers. It also shows us that not all mathematical statements are true and that it is necessary to provide evidence and logical reasoning to support our claims.