Proof that if 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) if a is even

If you keep the "if a is even" part, then the statement becomes: "If a is even, then 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7))" which means that if a is even, then 32 does NOT divide ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)). This statement is false because we can easily find a counterexample (e.g. a=2).If you keep the "if a is odd" part, then the statement becomes: "If a is odd, then 32 | ((a^2+3)(a^2+7))" which means that if a is odd, then 32 divides ((a^2+3
mhz

Homework Statement

Proof that if 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) if a is even. (note: -|- means NOT divides)

The question asks for a proof of this statement.

Homework Equations

If a | b, then there exists an integer k such that b = ka.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the contrapositive of the statement is true, then so is the statement. So we will prove that if a is odd, then 32 | ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)).Since a is odd, (a^2+3)(a^2+7) is even, 2 | ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)). This must mean that there exists an integer k such that ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) = 2k. ...

Physics news on Phys.org
32 can't divide the product of 2 odd numbers, right ?

Right, but I'm trying to prove that in a sort of fashion that I've already shown (long-winded and specifically showing each step, trying not to assume much).

What you're arguing is something like:

Suppose a is even. Then a^2 is even, so both a^2+3 and a^2+7 are odd. Since 32 is even, 32 \nmid ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)).

However that logic is flawed. This is saying that since the converse of the statement is true, so too must the statement be true. (but that is wrong)

You are in error. The proof you posted which you read from my statement is perfecty ok. There's no converse anywhere. The converse would have been something like:

Prove that if 32 doesn't divide (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7) then a is even.

As you can see the converse in not involved in the proof you posted.

Prove that 32 divides (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7) if a is odd.

That is the contrapositive, not the converse.

Converse of "if A then B" is "if B then A", the contrapositive is "if not B then not A".

Since A in this case is "if 32 doesn't divide (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7)" and B is "a is even". The converse would be "if a is even then 32 doesn't divide (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7)" and the proof I posted in my second post proves that. However, my point is that the proof of the converse does not always prove the statement.

What I'm trying to do is one of the following:
a) Prove the statement: "if 32 doesn't divide (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7) then a is even"
b) Prove the contrapositive: "if a is odd, 32 divides (a^2 +3) (a^2 +7)"

A little while after my last post I came up with this, and I think this proof is ok:

If the contrapositive of the statement is true, then so is the statement. So we will prove that if a is odd, then 32 | ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)).

Since a is odd, a^2 must be odd so both a^2 +3 and a^2 +7 must be even, but also since a^2 ≥ 1, ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) ≥ 4*8 ≥ 32.
Therefore 32 | ((a^2 +3)(a^2 + 7)).

mhz said:
Proof that if 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) if a is even. (note: -|- means NOT divides)
I think the confusion is stemming from the fact that you have two "ifs" in your problem statement. One of them should not be there, and the meaning will be different depending on which one you keep.

Related to Proof that if 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) if a is even

1. What does the expression 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)) represent?

The expression represents a mathematical proof that shows that if the variable a is an even number, then the expression will always result in a vertical bar (|) followed by the number 32.

2. How is the proof structured?

The proof is structured using logical reasoning and algebraic manipulation to show that for any even value of a, the expression will always result in the vertical bar followed by 32.

3. What assumptions are made in the proof?

The proof assumes that a is an even number and that basic algebraic rules and properties hold true.

4. Can the proof be applied to odd numbers?

No, the proof only applies to even numbers. If the variable a is an odd number, the expression will not result in the vertical bar followed by 32.

5. Why is this proof important?

This proof is important because it shows a mathematical relationship between even numbers and the expression 32 -|- ((a^2+3)(a^2+7)). It also highlights the use of algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning in mathematical proofs.