Proof that COF depends only on asperities

In summary, the conversation discusses how to craft a hypothesis regarding factors that affect the coefficient of friction. The equation F=µFn and the proof that µ=tan theta are mentioned, as well as an experiment involving different materials and measuring the angle of inclination. The question is raised about whether this experiment is appropriate for proving the hypothesis and the importance of using experiments to disprove or support hypotheses in science. The use of equations in proving things is also mentioned.
ashym

Homework Statement

I am trying to craft a hypothesis regarding factors that affect the coefficient of friction. I know that it is determined by the triboforces and asperity interactions at the interface between the materials (among other factors, but right now I'm just going to focus on this), but how do I prove it?

Homework Equations

I know F=µFn, and the whole proof that µ=tan theta. One step there goes: µ=ffk/fn = mgsinθ/mgcosθ = sinθ/cosθ=tanθ...does the cancelling of mg that occurs at least prove that mass does not influence COF? Because the only way I can think of proving that COF is independent of everything but the materials in question is via deduction - i.e. by proving that other system variables also have no effect, although I'm not sure if the basic proof above even does that and whether such an approach is possible with other variables. How do I go about this? Do I explain it all conceptually, or is it possible to mathematically support?

The Attempt at a Solution

BTW, the experiment I conducted just involved using ramps made of different materials and elevating it until the object began to slide, at which point I measured the angle of inclination. After taking tan of those values I'll find that the COF varies obviously, but all that proves is that the angle affects the force of friction and I wonder whether the design is even appropriate for what I'm seeking...Everyone conducted their experiments like that and I don't know how the info derived even pertains to the question at hand...do you see anything wrong with this or am I not understanding how to apply it?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what experiment is needed to disprove (or support) a given hypothesis.

Proving things with equations is math.

Science is disproving hypotheses with experiments (falsifiability).

Likes ashym

Related to Proof that COF depends only on asperities

1. What is COF?

COF stands for coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact.

2. What are asperities?

Asperities are small, irregularities or protrusions on the surface of a material. These can affect the friction between two surfaces in contact.

3. How is COF affected by asperities?

The presence of asperities on a surface can increase the COF by creating more surface contact and increasing the friction between two surfaces.

4. What is meant by "proof that COF depends only on asperities"?

This means that the coefficient of friction between two surfaces is primarily determined by the asperities on those surfaces, rather than other factors such as temperature or load.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between COF and asperities?

Understanding the relationship between COF and asperities is important in many industries, such as manufacturing and transportation, as it can affect the efficiency and performance of machines and equipment. It can also help in developing strategies to reduce friction and wear between surfaces.