Proof that a Dirac particle has spin 1/2?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the derivation in Peskin and Schroeder for showing that a Dirac particle is a spin 1/2 particle. The second equation is discussed and it is clarified that there is only one summation symbol because the other index is a spin index and not a tensor index. The commutator and the Kronecker delta are also explained in relation to the summation.
AlbertEi
Hi,

I am having trouble following the Peskin and Schroeder and their derivations to show that a Dirac particle is a spin 1/2 particle (page 60 and 61). I understand how he gets the first (unnumbered) equation on page 61. However, I don't understand how he gets to the second equation:
\begin{equation}
J_z a^{s \dagger}_0|0 \rangle = \frac{1}{2m} \sum_r \left(u^{s \dagger}(0) \frac{\Sigma^3}{2} u^r(0) \right) a_0^{r \dagger} |0 \rangle
\end{equation}
In particular I do not understand why there is only one "summation" symbol. I would have thought that the equation would be:
\begin{equation}
J_z a^{s \dagger}_0|0 \rangle = \frac{1}{2m} \sum_r \sum_{s} \left(u^{s \dagger}(0) \frac{\Sigma^3}{2} u^r(0) \right) a_0^{r \dagger} |0 \rangle
\end{equation}
Does anybody know what they have done with the second "summation" symbol?

Any help would much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AlbertEi,

On the left hand side you have the free index 's', so on the right hand side this index shouldn't be summed. This is just a remark without knowing the actual calculation.

Well, for starters the second equation you wrote down doesn't make too much sense, since there is a sum over s on the right hand side, but there is still an s on the left hand side.
Now the actual problem, you should convince yourself that when taking the commutator
$$[J_{z},a_{0}^{s\dagger}]$$
the only term that does not (anti-)commute (anti-commutator or commutator does not matter, J_{z} will hit the vacuum and annihilate it regardless), is the term
$$ [a_{p}^{r\dagger}a_{p}^{r},a_{0}^{s\dagger}].$$
Next you should convince yourself that this term is exactly what Peskin tells you it is. Now check what happens to the exponentials in the first line of the unnumbered equation when you integrate it against the δ(p-p^{\prime}) over p^{\prime}, (as a hint, the position integral should now be easy, and doing the position integral should allow you to do the final momentum integral).

Those indices represent the spin, i.e. they do are not tensor indices so I don't think we can use the Einstein summation convention in this sense.

Hi VoxCaelum, my previous reply was not directed towards you. I will look into your answer and come back if I have any questions. Thanks for your reply.

AlbertEi said:
In particular I do not understand why there is only one "summation" symbol. Does anybody know what they have done with the second "summation" symbol?
To begin with there were two summations over r and r'. The commutator contains a Kronecker delta, δr's, which collapses the r' summation to a single term s, so just the r summation remains.

Likes 1 person
That makes sense; I feel a bit silly now. Thank Bill_K!

Related to Proof that a Dirac particle has spin 1/2?

1. What is a Dirac particle?

A Dirac particle is a type of elementary particle described by the Dirac equation, which was developed by physicist Paul Dirac. It is a fundamental building block of matter and is an essential part of the standard model of particle physics.

2. How is the spin of a Dirac particle determined?

The spin of a Dirac particle is determined by the mathematical properties of the Dirac equation. It is an intrinsic property of the particle and is always equal to 1/2, which is considered half of a unit of angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of a Dirac particle having spin 1/2?

The spin of a Dirac particle is significant because it is a fundamental property that distinguishes particles from one another. It also plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles in the quantum realm.

4. Can the spin of a Dirac particle be changed?

No, the spin of a Dirac particle cannot be changed or manipulated. It is an intrinsic property that remains constant throughout the particle's existence.

5. How does the spin of a Dirac particle affect its interactions with other particles?

The spin of a Dirac particle can affect its interactions with other particles, as particles with different spins may have different properties and behaviors. For example, particles with half-integer spin (such as Dirac particles) follow the rules of Fermi-Dirac statistics, while particles with integer spin follow the rules of Bose-Einstein statistics.