Exploring Bio and DNA Computers: Current Research & Progress

In summary, the conversation is about the current state and progress of research in using DNA and other bio materials in developing informational systems or applying them in IT. The speakers discuss the lack of easily accessible information on the subject and suggest looking through scientific journals for relevant articles. One speaker mentions a specific article on DNA computers and discusses their potential in solving complex problems.
eagleone
I’m interested in current state and progress_point of research in field of using DNA and other Bio materials in developing informational systems (or applying it in some areas/ researches of IT).

There’s lot’s of talking going on involving this subject, but no real information. Using google to search I found nothing but useless links and outdated sites. Is there some mainstream in this research , what is the main idea/mechanism of using DNA in developing, let’s say, CPU’s or memories (what are results of this res., current models, working prototypes) .
Not only DNA, I remember few years ago I’ve read something about using some fluorescent bacteria in developing high capacity memory banks.

Let’s talk about this... posting interesting and usable links wouldn’t be bad :).

Greets
Siniša

Biology news on Phys.org
Good point, I am information deprived too on this subject.. did you try looking through some pop-science journals? Or even Science or Nature? I guess those are the places to look..

I did a quick search in Web of Science for articles on the topic of "DNA Computer", and of the 3 pages that came up, only one seemed to be relevant and have an abstract:

Progress in DNA computer
Chen WC, Chen ZH, Qui HX, Wang ZQ
PROGRESS IN BIOCHEMISTRY AND BIOPHYSICS
28 (2): 156-159 APR 2001
DNA computer is a new research field which combines both the computer science and molecular biology. DNA computer is proposed to solve a class of hard problems of mathematical complexity by using a set of DNA sequences encoding all candidate solutions to the computational problem of interest and find out the correct answers by serial manipulations of biochemical reactions. DNA computer is exactly a biomolecular computer which stores a vast quantity of information with high density. DNA computer, by means of its huge parallel computation and brute force search strategy, can solve the NP complete problems with polynomial time. The recent advances and principle of DNA computer are introduced. The future development and the bioinformatical significance of DNA computer are also analyzed and discussed.

1. What is a bio computer?

A bio computer is a type of computer that uses biological components, such as living cells or DNA, to perform computational tasks. These computers are different from traditional silicon-based computers and have the potential to be smaller, faster, and more energy-efficient.

2. How does DNA computing work?

DNA computing uses the unique properties of DNA molecules, such as their ability to store and process large amounts of information, to perform computational tasks. This involves manipulating and combining DNA strands to create complex patterns that can be interpreted as data or instructions.

3. What are the potential applications of bio and DNA computers?

Bio and DNA computers have the potential to revolutionize fields such as medicine, energy, and information technology. They can be used to develop new drug delivery systems, improve energy efficiency, and process vast amounts of data at lightning speed.

4. What are the current limitations of bio and DNA computing?

One of the main limitations of bio and DNA computing is the difficulty in controlling and manipulating biological components. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and requires further research and development before it can be widely implemented.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding bio and DNA computing?

As with any emerging technology, there are ethical concerns surrounding bio and DNA computing. These include issues such as privacy, safety, and potential misuse of the technology. It is important for scientists and researchers to consider these concerns and address them in their work.