Proof of Wick's Theorem for 3 fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the result from two fields in solving a problem. The equation used is T(\phi(x) \phi(y))= : \phi(x) \phi(y) : + G(x-y), where G(x-y) = [\phi(x)^+,\phi(y)^-] and : denotes normal ordered. The conversation also touches on the assumption of non-triviality and the use of Wicks theorem. The solution includes a factor of both the creation and annihilation parts of the field, and should be multiplied on the right-hand side of the propagator. The mistake made was assuming that any permutation of the operators causing the vacuum bra or ket to vanish would suffice, when in fact all
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached:

wick3question.png

Homework Equations

[/B]
Using the result from two fields that

## T(\phi(x) \phi(y))= : \phi(x) \phi(y) : + G(x-y)##

Where ##G(x-y) = [\phi(x)^+,\phi(y)^-] ##

## : ## denotes normal ordered

and ##\phi(x)^+ ## is the annihilation operator part , and ## \phi(x)^- ## is the creation operator part.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume non-trivially that ## z^0 > x^0 > y^0 ##

Then ## T(\phi(z),\phi(x),\phi(y)) = \phi(z) T(\phi(x) \phi(y)) ##

##=(\phi(z)^+ + \phi(z)^-) T (\phi(x),\phi(y)) ##

Since ##\phi(z)^-## is already normal ordered, look at the term multiplied by ##\phi(z)^+##:

##=\phi(z)G(x-y) + \phi(z)^+:\phi(x)\phi(y): ## (1)

The term to be concerned with from

##\phi(z)^+:\phi(x)\phi(y):## is ##\phi(z)^+\phi(x)^-\phi(y)^-=\phi(x)^-\phi(z)^+\phi(y)^- +[\phi(z)^+,\phi(x)^-]\phi(y)^-= \phi(x)^-\phi(y)^-\phi(z)^+ +\phi(x)^-[\phi(z)^+,\phi(y)^-] + [ \phi(z)^+,\phi(x)^-]\phi(y)^-##

So putting this with (1) I have

## T(\phi(z),\phi(x),\phi(y)) = : \phi(z) (\phi(x) \phi(y)): + [ \phi(z)^+,\phi(x)^-]\phi(y)^- +\phi(x)^-[\phi(z)^+,\phi(y)^-] +\phi(z)(G(x-y)) ##

So looking at the solution the last term is right, but the other propagator terms , should have a factor of both the creation and annihilation parts of the field, ##\phi(y)^- + \phi(y)^+ ## and ## \phi(x)^+ + \phi(x)^- ## , multiplying the propagator? and should be multiplying the RHS of the propagator rather than the LHS ? I'm not sure what I have done wrong...

Many thanks in advance.

ok so I've figured out what i was doign wrong, and it's a pretty quick spot, and I assume perhaps a common sort of mistake , so I'm surprised no one replied but hey..

basically my definition of 'normal-ordered' was as soon as you had any permutation of the operators that would cause either the bra or ket of the vacuum to vanish ,so either to a creation ladder on the lhs or a annihilating on the rhs , thee job was done. when instead you needed ALL creation operators on the left and all annihilating operators on the rhs. I'm actually not to sure why this is, the use of wicks theorem I've seen is when a bunch of ladder operators are sandwhiched between the vacuum bra and ket, and so this would suffice to cause it to vanish. However if I think about a proof by induction, adding more fields to it, it makes sense that you'd want it 'fully normal-ordered'...

ta

Related to Proof of Wick's Theorem for 3 fields

1. What is the purpose of Wick's Theorem in scientific research?

Wick's Theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of correlation functions. It allows for the decomposition of complicated expressions into a sum of simpler terms, making it easier to analyze and interpret data in particle physics and other areas of scientific research.

2. How is Wick's Theorem applied to 3 fields?

Wick's Theorem can be applied to any number of fields, but the proof specifically for 3 fields involves expanding a product of 3 field operators into a sum of terms containing only 2 field operators. This allows for the calculation of 3-point correlation functions, which are important in understanding the interactions between particles in quantum systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the proof of Wick's Theorem for 3 fields?

The proof of Wick's Theorem for 3 fields assumes that the fields are free, meaning they do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the fields are normal-ordered, meaning that all creation operators come before annihilation operators in the expression being calculated.

4. Can Wick's Theorem be extended to more than 3 fields?

Yes, Wick's Theorem can be extended to any number of fields. The proof for 3 fields is a specific case, but the same principles can be applied to any number of fields to simplify calculations and analyze data in quantum field theory.

5. How does Wick's Theorem relate to Feynman diagrams?

Wick's Theorem is closely related to Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical expressions used to calculate particle interactions. Feynman diagrams can be constructed using the results of Wick's Theorem, making it an important tool in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics.