Proof of the general form of the equipartition theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average value of certain variables in a Hamiltonian system. The equations P(q,p)=\frac{exp[-\beta H(q,p)]}{Z_N} and Z_N=\frac{1}{N!h^{sN}}\int \int exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p are used to find the probability distribution function and the partition function, respectively. The formula P_x(x_1,...,x_N)dx_1...dx_n = P_y(y_1(x_1,...,x_N),...,y_N(x_1,...,x_N)) \left|J\left(\frac
Homo Novus

Homework Statement

For a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]H=\sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2 + \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2 + H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN})[/itex] (for a system with n coordinates and m momenta, s degrees of freedom and N particles), show that [itex]\overline{a_jp_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,m and [itex]\overline{b_jq_j^2}=\frac{kT}{2}[/itex], for j=1,...,n.

Homework Equations

[itex]P(q,p)=\frac{exp[-\beta H(q,p)]}{Z_N}[/itex]
[itex]Z_N=\frac{1}{N!h^{sN}}\int \int exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex]
[itex]P_x(x_1,...,x_N)dx_1...dx_n = P_y(y_1(x_1,...,x_N),...,y_N(x_1,...,x_N)) \left|J\left(\frac{y_1,...,y_N}{x_1,...,x_N}\right)\right| dx_1...dx_N[/itex]

Note that [itex]\beta=\frac{1}{kT}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't really know where to go with this... I've tried plugging stuff in, but I'm really at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Homo Novus.
Homo Novus said:

The Attempt at a Solution

... I've tried plugging stuff in, but I'm really at a loss.

Can you elaborate on what you did when you were plugging stuff in?

I tried messing around with the formulas, but honestly I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried to find [itex]P(a_jp_j^2,b_jq_j^2)[/itex] from [itex]P(q,p)[/itex], but I don't know what to do with the [itex]d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p[/itex] left over... and then, assuming I do manage to find the correct distribution formula, I don't know how to find the average.

Suppose you have a probability distribution function ##p(x)## for some continuous variable x. And suppose you have some function of x, ##f(x)##. Do you know how to find the average value of ##f(x)##: ##\overline{f(x)}##? [Edit: In particular, how would you find ##\overline{x^2}##?]

The equipartition theorem states that in thermal equilibrium, the average energy of each degree of freedom is equal to \frac{1}{2}kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

To prove this for the given Hamiltonian, we start by expressing the partition function Z_N in terms of the Hamiltonian H:

Z_N=\frac{1}{N!h^{sN}}\int \int exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p

Next, we use the definition of the average value of a quantity A:

\overline{A}=\frac{1}{Z_N}\int \int A(q,p)exp[-\beta H(q,p)]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p

Substituting the Hamiltonian given in the problem, we have:

\overline{a_jp_j^2}=\frac{1}{Z_N}\int \int a_jp_j^2 exp[-\beta (\sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2 + \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2 + H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN}))]\,d^{sN}q\,d^{sN}p

Using the property of exponential functions, we can expand the expression inside the integral as:

exp[-\beta (\sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2 + \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2 + H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN}))]=exp[-\beta \sum_{j=1}^m a_j p_j^2]exp[-\beta \sum_{j=1}^n b_j q_j^2]exp[-\beta H'(q_{n+1}, \dots, q_{sN}, p_{m+1}, \dots, p_{sN})]

Since we are only interested in the terms involving \overline{a_jp_j^2}, we can ignore the third exponential term and focus on the first two. Using the property of integr

Related to Proof of the general form of the equipartition theorem

1. What is the general form of the equipartition theorem?

The general form of the equipartition theorem states that in thermal equilibrium, each degree of freedom of a system will have an average energy of 1/2*k*T, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature.

2. How is the equipartition theorem derived?

The equipartition theorem can be derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of particle speeds in a gas. It can also be derived from statistical mechanics principles.

3. What are the assumptions made in the equipartition theorem?

The equipartition theorem assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium, that the particles in the system are non-interacting, and that the total energy of the system is evenly distributed among all possible energy states.

4. Can the equipartition theorem be applied to all systems?

No, the equipartition theorem is only applicable to systems in thermal equilibrium. It also may not be applicable to systems with quantum effects, such as at very low temperatures or small scales.

5. How is the equipartition theorem used in practical applications?

The equipartition theorem is used in many areas of science, such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering to estimate the energies of molecules and predict their behavior in various systems.