Help Eric Solve 2 Heat Problems

• Thread starter ericarnold86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to specific heat capacity and temperature changes. The first problem involves finding the final temperature of soup after adding a cube of ice, assuming the same specific heat capacity as water. The second problem involves determining the specific heat capacity of a ring by using the conservation of energy principle. Both problems are solved and the specific heat capacity of the ring is found to be 99.65 J/kg.
ericarnold86
Thanks in advance for the help... I usually get Physics with ease, but for some reason these 2 threw me for a loop. If you have aol instant messanger, you could message me the answers at ericarnold86. Any help is greatly appreciated

#1:

A 0.018 kg cube of ice at 0.0 Celsius is added to 0.454 kg of soup at 87 Celsius. Assuming that the soup has the same specific heat capacity as water, find the temperature of the soup after the ice has melted. (There is a temperature change after the ice melts)

#2:

A 25.4 g ring that appears to be silver is heated to a temperature of 85 Celsius, and then is placed in a calorimeter containing .05 kg of water @ 24.8 Celsius. The calorimeter is not perfectly iinsulated, however, so that 0.11 kJ of energy is transferred by heat to the surroundings by the time a temperature of 25 celsius is reached. From the info provided, determine the specific heat capacity of the ring.

Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
#1:

A 0.018 kg cube of ice at 0.0 Celsius is added to 0.454 kg of soup at 87 Celsius. Assuming that the soup has the same specific heat capacity as water, find the temperature of the soup after the ice has melted. (There is a temperature change after the ice melts)
I don't know what values you have for heat of fusion of water or heat capacity of water. I'm using 334000J/kg for heat of fusion and 4187J/kg for heat capacity of water.

energy in system does not change:
ice melt + water heat up + water cool down = 0
mLf + mc[tex] \Delta [/tex]T + mc[tex] \Delta [/tex]T = 0
(0.018)(334000) + (0.018)(4187)(Tf - 0) + (0.454)(4187)(Tf - 87) = 0

My calculator has a thing that solves for 0 = so I won't be showing any work.
Tf = 80.64 celcius

#2:

A 25.4 g ring that appears to be silver is heated to a temperature of 85 Celsius, and then is placed in a calorimeter containing .05 kg of water @ 24.8 Celsius. The calorimeter is not perfectly iinsulated, however, so that 0.11 kJ of energy is transferred by heat to the surroundings by the time a temperature of 25 celsius is reached. From the info provided, determine the specific heat capacity of the ring.

system energy does not change:
ring + water + surroundings = 0
mc[tex] \Delta [/tex]T + mc[tex] \Delta [/tex]T + 110J = 0
(0.0254)c(25 - 85) + (0.05)(4187)(25 - 24.8) + 110 = 0
c = 99.65 J/kg

Last edited:
Those worked, thanks a lot

What are the two heat problems that Eric needs help solving?

Eric needs help solving two heat problems: one involving a liquid heating up and the other involving a solid cooling down.

What are the key factors to consider when solving these heat problems?

The key factors to consider when solving these heat problems include the initial and final temperatures, the specific heat capacity of the substance, and the time period over which the heating or cooling occurs.

What are the steps to solving these heat problems?

The steps to solving these heat problems are: 1) identifying the given values and what needs to be solved for, 2) applying the appropriate formula (Q=mcΔT or Q=mL) to calculate the heat energy, 3) converting units if necessary, and 4) solving for the unknown variable.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving these heat problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving these heat problems include using the wrong formula, miscalculating units, and not considering the sign of the heat energy (positive for heat gained and negative for heat lost).

How can understanding heat problems be useful in real life?

Understanding heat problems can be useful in real life for various applications such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and designing efficient insulation for buildings. It can also be helpful in understanding climate and weather patterns.