Proof of Semisimple Modules: Finite Summands & Finite Generation

• Thread starter peteryellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, the argument states that if M is generated by a finite subfamily of terms from S_i, then M is generated.
peteryellow
Can somebody help me with the following proof:

Let M be a semisimple module, say M = +_IS_i, where + denotes direct sum and S_i is a simple module.
Then the number of summands is finite if and only of M is finitely generated.

I have problem with understanding the proof of the following in my notes:

if M is finitely generated then the number of summands is finite

Can somebody help me in this argument.

Physics news on Phys.org
This follows immediately from the definition of a "finitely generated" module.

I know that it is quite clear but still there is an argument which I don't understand and I somebody can help me with this, I will be greatful.

What argument, exactly?

try proving the contrapositive, that if M is any non zero module, that an infinite direct sum of copies of M cannot be finitely generated.

recall the definition of direct sum, and in particular that only a finite number of summands can occur in each element of a direct sum.

Ok the argument for this theorem in my notes which I don't understand is:

Let M be finitely generated by u_1,...,u_r say. For each u_j we can find finitely many terms S_i whose sum contains u_j. Hence all the u_j are contained in the sum of a finite subfamily of the S_i and this family generates M so that I must be finite.

I don't understand details of this so it will be good if you can help me with the details. Thanks.

mathwonk, I have a proof of this which I don't understand.

peteryellow said:
Ok the argument for this theorem in my notes which I don't understand is:

Let M be finitely generated by u_1,...,u_r say. For each u_j we can find finitely many terms S_i whose sum contains u_j. Hence all the u_j are contained in the sum of a finite subfamily of the S_i and this family generates M so that I must be finite.

I don't understand details of this so it will be good if you can help me with the details. Thanks.
If you understand the appropriate definitions ("direct sum" and "finitely generated"), then the details will be crystal clear.

Nut why is it true that this family generates M

It generates it in the sense that its sum is M. (And this is true because M is generated, as a module, by u_1, ..., u_r.)

Thanks alot

Related to Proof of Semisimple Modules: Finite Summands & Finite Generation

1. What is a semisimple module?

A semisimple module is a module over a ring that can be written as a direct sum of simple modules. In other words, every submodule has a complement, and the module cannot be further decomposed into simpler modules.

2. What is the significance of finite summands in proof of semisimple modules?

The existence of finite summands is a key property of semisimple modules, as it allows us to break down the module into simpler components. This makes it easier to understand and analyze the structure of the module.

3. How does finite generation relate to semisimple modules?

A semisimple module is finitely generated if it can be generated by a finite set of elements. This property is important in the context of semisimple modules because it allows us to understand the structure of the module in terms of a finite number of generators.

4. What is the connection between semisimple modules and representation theory?

Semisimple modules play a crucial role in representation theory, as they allow us to decompose a representation into simpler irreducible representations. This decomposition is known as the Artin-Wedderburn theorem and has many applications in the study of group representations.

5. Can every module be decomposed into semisimple modules?

No, not every module can be decomposed into semisimple modules. A module is semisimple if and only if it is both semisimple and semiprimary. Many important classes of modules, such as finite-dimensional vector spaces over a field, are semisimple. However, there are also many modules that are not semisimple, such as modules over nonsemisimple rings or modules with infinite dimension.