Proof of quantum correlation functions

In summary: I}(t, -\infty)=U(t,-\infty)$$ and $$U_{I}(+\infty, t)=U(+\infty, t)$$ because in the limit as $$t\rightarrow -\infty$$ and $$t\rightarrow +\infty$$, the interaction Hamiltonian $$H_{I}$$ becomes negligible and we are left with the free Hamiltonian $$H$$. Therefore, the time evolution operators $$U_{I}$$ and $$U$$ become equivalent in these limits.
victorvmotti
Reading through David Tong lecture notes on QFT.On pages 76, he gives a proof on correlation functions . See below link:

[QFT notes by Tong][1] [1]: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdfI am following the proof steps to obtain equation (3.95). But several intermediate steps of the proof are not clear.

**First question**

why we can write:

$$T\phi_{1I} \dots \phi_{nI}S=U_{I}(+\infty, t_{1})\phi_{1I}U(t_{1},t_{2})\phi_{2I}\dots \phi_{nI}U_{I}(t_{n},-\infty)$$

I mean after dropping the $$T$$ shouldn't we have?:

$$=\phi_{1I}\phi_{2I}\dots \phi_{nI}S$$$$=\phi_{1I}\phi_{2I}\dots \phi_{nI}U_{I}(+\infty,-\infty)$$

Does $$T$$ operate on the $$\phi_{1}\dots\phi_{n}$$ only or the $$\phi_{1}\dots \phi_{nI}S$$ and $$U_{I}(+\infty,-\infty)=U_{I}(+\infty, t_{1})U_{I}(t_{1},t_{2})\dots U_{I}(t_{n},-\infty)$$?**Second question**

How we convert each of the $$\phi_{I}$$ into $$\phi_{H}$$ using $$U_{I}(t_{k},t_{k+1})=Texp(-i\int_{t_{k}}^{t_{k+1}}H_{I})$$ to arrive at

$$T\phi_{1I} \dots \phi_{nI}S=U_{I}(+\infty, t_{0})\phi_{1H}\dots \phi_{nH}U_{I}(t_{0},-\infty)$$

**Third question**

Why we have

$$U_{I}(t, -\infty)=U(t,-\infty)$$

Physics news on Phys.org

and

$$U_{I}(+\infty, t)=U(+\infty, t)$$

The reason we can write:

$$T\phi_{1I} \dots \phi_{nI}S=U_{I}(+\infty, t_{1})\phi_{1I}U(t_{1},t_{2})\phi_{2I}\dots \phi_{nI}U_{I}(t_{n},-\infty)$$

is because of the time ordering operator $$T$$, which ensures that the operators are arranged in the correct chronological order. In this case, the time ordering operator acts on the operators $$\phi_{1I}\dots \phi_{nI}S$$, which includes both the interaction picture operators ($$\phi_{1I}\dots \phi_{nI}$$) and the scattering operator $$S$$. Therefore, the time ordering operator $$T$$ operates on the entire expression, not just on the interaction picture operators.

To convert each of the interaction picture operators $$\phi_{I}$$ into the corresponding Heisenberg picture operators $$\phi_{H}$$, we use the relation $$\phi_{H}=U_{I}(t, t_{0})\phi_{I}U_{I}(t_{0}, t)^{\dagger}$$, where $$t_{0}$$ is an arbitrary initial time. By using the expression for $$U_{I}(t_{k},t_{k+1})$$ given in the proof, we can rewrite the expression as $$\phi_{H}=U(t_{k},t_{k+1})\phi_{I}U(t_{k+1},t_{k})^{\dagger}$$, and by taking the limit as $$t_{k+1}\rightarrow +\infty$$ and $$t_{k}\rightarrow -\infty$$, we get $$U_{I}(+\infty, t_{0})\phi_{H}U_{I}(t_{0},-\infty)$$. Since this is true for each of the $$\phi_{I}$$, we can rewrite the entire expression as $$U_{I}(+\infty, t_{0})\phi_{1H}\dots \phi_{nH}U_{I}(t_{0},-\infty)$$.

Finally, we have $$U

Related to Proof of quantum correlation functions

1. What are quantum correlation functions?

Quantum correlation functions are mathematical tools used to quantify the degree of correlation between two or more quantum systems. They are based on the principles of quantum mechanics and are used to describe the relationships between the states of different quantum systems.

2. How are quantum correlation functions measured?

Quantum correlation functions can be measured using various experimental techniques such as quantum state tomography, quantum interference, and quantum entanglement. These techniques involve manipulating and measuring the states of quantum systems to determine their correlations.

3. What is the significance of quantum correlation functions?

Quantum correlation functions play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. They provide insight into the non-classical correlations between quantum particles and are essential for the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

4. Can quantum correlation functions be used for quantum communication?

Yes, quantum correlation functions are an essential tool for quantum communication. They can be used to characterize the correlation between quantum particles, which is necessary for secure quantum communication protocols.

5. How do quantum correlation functions differ from classical correlation functions?

Quantum correlation functions differ from classical correlation functions in that they take into account the unique properties of quantum systems, such as superposition and entanglement. Classical correlation functions are based on classical physics and do not account for these quantum phenomena.