What Are the Career Benefits of a Double Major in Engineering and Mathematics?

• Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, a full degree in mathematics can be beneficial and make you more marketable in your career as an engineer. While it may not necessarily double your salary, it can open up job opportunities and make you stand out to potential employers. If you are willing to put in the effort, pursuing a double major in math and engineering can have positive impacts on your career prospects.
Shahil
Hi guys - need some help!

I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering 2nd year 1st semester. I'm thinking of taking a Maths major in my 3rd year.

This option is not offered at my Uni but the dean of maths said it was do-able and I would get credited.

However, credits ain't my issue. Another problem is timetable clashes coz I've heard 3rd year is terrible but that's not what I'm worried bout. I love Maths but I wanted to know from qualified Engineers and students - What will a full Maths degree do for me? ie. Will it help me in my career?

Engineering news on Phys.org
One thing is for sure: it won't be detrimental to your career. If you like maths and want to study it, do so. If not, don't. Having a an extra degree in maths (or whatever other field) will not double your salary as an engineer.

A degree in mathematics will be beneficial and it will make you more marketable.
*Nico

Nicomachus said:
A degree in mathematics will be beneficial and it will make you more marketable.
*Nico
Exactly!

My father was a double major in Chemical Engineering and Applied Mathematics. He said that once a he got the mathematics BS to go along with the ChemE BS, his job offers shot out the roof.

So, Shahil, if you feel you can be a double major and are willing to put in the effort, then by all means, go for it.

1. Should I take a Maths Major if I struggle with math?

No, it is not recommended to pursue a Maths Major if you struggle with math. This major is heavily focused on mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding and aptitude for the subject. It may be more beneficial to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

2. Will a Maths Major lead to a high-paying job?

A Maths Major can lead to high-paying job opportunities in fields such as finance, data analytics, and computer science. However, it is important to note that success in these careers also depends on other factors such as experience, skills, and networking.

3. What skills will I gain from a Maths Major?

A Maths Major will provide you with strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. You will also develop a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and theories, as well as proficiency in using mathematical tools and software.

4. Is a Maths Major a good choice for someone who wants to pursue a career in teaching?

Yes, a Maths Major is a good choice for someone who wants to become a math teacher. This major provides a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, as well as the ability to effectively communicate and teach these concepts to others.

5. Can a Maths Major be combined with other majors or minors?

Yes, a Maths Major can be combined with other majors or minors depending on your university's program requirements. It is common for students to pair a Maths Major with majors or minors in fields such as computer science, economics, or physics.