Proof of Kaku (8.18): Completing the Square and Using Spiegel's Result

In summary: What exactly are you claiming in here? Are you saying that the expressionG(x,t ; y) = \lim_{N \to \infty} \left( \frac{m}{2\pi i \hbar \epsilon}\right)^{\frac{N+1}{2}} \int dx_{1}\cdots dx_{N} \ \exp \left( \frac{im}{2 \hbar \epsilon}\sum_{j = 0}^{N}(x_{j+1}-x_{j})^{2}\right) ,(where x_{N+1}= x, \ \ x_{0}= y, \ \epsilon = t / N+1) is not the free particle path
rocdoc
Gold Member
In the following there is a proof, for positive values of ##a## only, of (8.18) of Kaku, reference 1, I quote'
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\mathrm{d}p~e^{iap^2+ibp}=\sqrt \frac{i\pi}{a}e^{-ib^2/4a}~~~~~~~~~~~~~(8.18)$$
'. Kaku says this result can be proved by completing the square.
$$iap^2+ibp = ia(p^2+\frac{b}{a}p )$$
$$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=ia[~(p+\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{b^2}{4a^2}]$$
Let
$$\frac{b}{2a}=\alpha~~~~~~~~~(1)$$
$$\frac{-b^2}{4a}=\beta~~~~~~~~~~(2)$$
$$iap^2+ibp = i[~a(p+\alpha)^2~+~\beta]$$
Let
$$I=\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\mathrm{d}p~e^{iap^2+ibp}=\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2~+~\beta] }\mathrm{d}p$$
$$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=e^{i\beta}~\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2] }\mathrm{d}p~~~~~~~(3)$$
Concentrating upon the integral part of (3)
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2] }\mathrm{d}p=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \cos[a(p+\alpha)^2]\mathrm{d}p +i\int_{-\infty}^\infty \sin[a(p+\alpha)^2]\mathrm{d}p~~~~~~~~~~(4)$$
Substituting ##q=p+\alpha## gives
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\cos[a(p+\alpha)^2]\mathrm{d}p=\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\cos(aq^2)\mathrm{d}q$$
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\sin[a(p+\alpha)^2]\mathrm{d}p=\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\sin(aq^2)\mathrm{d}q$$
Use Spiegel, see Reference 2 result 15.50, which I quote '
$$15.50~~~~~~~~\int_0^\infty~\cos(ax^2)\mathrm{d}x = \int_0^\infty~\sin(ax^2)\mathrm{d}x= \frac{ 1} {2} \sqrt \frac{ \pi} {2a} $$
' ,for positive ##a## hence as the integrands in 15.50 are even functions of ##x##
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\cos(ax^2)\mathrm{d}x = \int_{-\infty}^\infty~\sin(ax^2)\mathrm{d}x= \sqrt \frac{ \pi} {2a}~~~~~~(5)$$
Using (5) in (4)
$$~~~~\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2] }\mathrm{d}p= \sqrt \frac{ \pi} {2a} +i \sqrt \frac{ \pi} {2a}$$
In polar form
$$~\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2] }\mathrm{d}p= \sqrt \frac{ \pi} {a} e^{i\pi/4}$$
Also, as
$$ ~~~~~~~~~~~ e^{i\pi/4}=\sqrt i$$
$$~~~\int_{-\infty}^\infty~e^{ i[~a(p+\alpha)^2] }\mathrm{d}p= \sqrt \frac{ i\pi } {a} ~~~~(6)$$
Hence, using (6) and (2) in (3)
$$I=e^{i\beta} \sqrt \frac{ i\pi } {a}=e^{-ib^2/4a} \sqrt \frac{i \pi} {a}$$
I.E.
$$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\int_{-\infty}^\infty~\mathrm{d}p~e^{iap^2+ibp}=\sqrt \frac{i\pi}{a}e^{-ib^2/4a}~~~~~~~~Q.E.D.$$References
1) M.Kaku , QuantumField Theory, A Modern Introduction , Oxford University Press, Inc. , 1993.
2) M. R. Spiegel, Ph.D. , Mathematical Handbook , McGraw-Hill , Inc. , 1968.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you feel this is interesting to share? :smile:

Likes samalkhaiat and Demystifier
Last edited:
rocdoc said:
Readers of the following thread might be interested

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/decomposing-a-certain-exponential-integral.944617/

Also, those who are interested in path integrals in quantum theory and (8.18) in particular, might be interested in the material.

You put a lot of efforts into something almost everybody knows how to do. Since you are talking about path integral, the following integral also appears in path integrals

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \ e^{-(a/x^{2}) - bx^{2}} \ dx = ?[/tex]

And since not everybody knows how to do it, maybe you could show us how to do it. :wink:

Likes dextercioby
samalkhaiat said:
You put a lot of efforts into something almost everybody knows how to do. Since you are talking about path integral, the following integral also appears in path integrals

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \ e^{-(a/x^{2}) - bx^{2}} \ dx = ?[/tex]

And since not everybody knows how to do it, maybe you could show us how to do it. :wink:
May I ask where does this integral appear in QM? What physical situation does it describe?

Demystifier said:
May I ask where does this integral appear in QM? What physical situation does it describe?
It shows up in the simplest physical system we know of. Just take the Fourier transform of the free particle propagator

[tex]\hat{G}(E ,x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \ dt \ e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}Et} \ G(x,t ; 0) ,[/tex]

and you will see it.

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
It shows up in the simplest physical system we know of. Just take the Fourier transform of the free particle propagator

[tex]\hat{G}(E ,x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \ dt \ e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}Et} \ G(x,t ; 0) ,[/tex]

and you will see it.
I understand that it can appear in the calculation of the propagator, e.g. in the Padmabhan's QFT textbook, Eqs. (1.81)-(1.82). But in this context it does not appear in the path integral, or at least I don't see that it does. Of course, by "path integral" I mean the functional integral over all paths, not an ordinary integral over one path.

Might a full proof of (8.18) involve using the following primitive, which is given as result 7.4.32 of Abramowitz and Stegun, see pg.303 of Reference 2? I quote
'$$\int e^{-(ax^2+2bx+c)}\:\mathrm{d}x=\frac{1} {2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi} {a} }e^{ \frac{b^2-ac}{a}} erf(\sqrt ax+\frac{b} {\sqrt a})+const. ~~~~~~~~ (a\neq0) $$'here erf(z) denotes the error function. This primitive is true for complex valued ##a,b~\text {and}~ c##.

Reference

2) Handbook of Mathematical Functions , Eds M.Abramowitz and I.A. Stegun , Dover Publications, Inc., New York , Ninth Printing , Nov. 1970.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
I understand that it can appear in the calculation of the propagator, e.g. in the Padmabhan's QFT textbook, Eqs. (1.81)-(1.82). But in this context it does not appear in the path integral, or at least I don't see that it does. Of course, by "path integral" I mean the functional integral over all paths, not an ordinary integral over one path.

What exactly are you claiming in here? Are you saying that the expression

[tex]G(x,t ; y) = \lim_{N \to \infty} \left( \frac{m}{2\pi i \hbar \epsilon}\right)^{\frac{N+1}{2}} \int dx_{1}\cdots dx_{N} \ \exp \left( \frac{im}{2 \hbar \epsilon}\sum_{j = 0}^{N}(x_{j+1}-x_{j})^{2}\right) ,[/tex]

(where [itex]x_{N+1}= x, \ \ x_{0}= y, \ \epsilon = t / N+1[/itex]) is not the free particle path integral? In these days even undergraduate students can do the [itex]x_{i}[/itex]’s integrations to obtain [tex]G(x,t;y) = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2 \pi i \hbar t}} \ \exp \left( \frac{im}{2 \hbar t}(x-y)^{2}\right) .[/tex]
Of course, the reason for taking the Fourier transform of [itex]G(x,t;0)[/itex] is way above the level of this thread and has to do with studying the analytic properties of the Feynman-Kac formula which Feynman obtained from his path integral. So, the integral in #4 does show up in the Path Integral formalism, hence the reason for asking the OP to "help us" calculating it :smile:. In other words I wanted to give him a hint that he has been doing very trivial, if not useless, stuff in this thread.

And please don’t point out a "textbook" for me because I only post things that I fully understand if not expert in.

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
What exactly are you claiming in here? Are you saying that the expression

[tex]G(x,t ; y) = \lim_{N \to \infty} \left( \frac{m}{2\pi i \hbar \epsilon}\right)^{\frac{N+1}{2}} \int dx_{1}\cdots dx_{N} \ \exp \left( \frac{im}{2 \hbar \epsilon}\sum_{j = 0}^{N}(x_{j+1}-x_{j})^{2}\right) ,[/tex]

(where [itex]x_{N+1}= x, \ \ x_{0}= y, \ \epsilon = t / N+1[/itex]) is not the free particle path integral? In these days even undergraduate students can do the [itex]x_{i}[/itex]’s integrations to obtain [tex]G(x,t;y) = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2 \pi i \hbar t}} \ \exp \left( \frac{im}{2 \hbar t}(x-y)^{2}\right) .[/tex]
Of course, the reason for taking the Fourier transform of [itex]G(x,t;0)[/itex] is way above the level of this thread and has to do with studying the analytic properties of the Feynman-Kac formula which Feynman obtained from his path integral. So, the integral in #4 does show up in the Path Integral formalism, hence the reason for asking the OP to "help us" calculating it :smile:. In other words I wanted to give him a hint that he has been doing very trivial, if not useless, stuff in this thread.
I am claiming that the integral of the form in your post #4 may appear after one evaluates the path integral, not in the path integral. Unlike you, I always allow the possibility that I am wrong, but so far you didn't show that in this particular case. (In other discussions with you, which look to me like discussions with Dr. House, sometimes you do show that I am wrong, in which case I acknowledge it.)

samalkhaiat said:
And please don’t point out a "textbook" for me because I only post things that I fully understand if not expert in.
I have no idea why do you put "textbook" in quotes, perhaps because you think that this particular textbook does not deserve to be called so? Anyway, if I feel that I cannot explain something better than already explained in some textbook or published paper, which indeed is often the case, I will always refer to such a reference. I don't know about you, but my mission here is not to show that I am smarter than anybody else.

By the way, since your name is so difficult to write, may I call you Dr. House? :biggrin:
(If you don't know who Dr. House is, which would be hard to believe, I would recommend you to learn about him because I'm sure you will like him.)

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
Demystifier said:
I am claiming that the integral of the form in your post #4 may appear after one evaluates the path integral, not in the path integral. Unlike you, I always allow the possibility that I am wrong, but so far you didn't show that in this particular case. (In other discussions with you, which look to me like discussions with Dr. House, sometimes you do show that I am wrong, in which case I acknowledge it.)I have no idea why do you put "textbook" in quotes, perhaps because you think that this particular textbook does not deserve to be called so? Anyway, if I feel that I cannot explain something better than already explained in some textbook or published paper, which indeed is often the case, I will always refer to such a reference. I don't know about you, but my mission here is not to show that I am smarter than anybody else.

By the way, since your name is so difficult to write, may I call you Dr. House? :biggrin:
(If you don't know who Dr. House is, which would be hard to believe, I would recommend you to learn about him because I'm sure you will like him.)

I really don’t have the time for this. In #5 you asked me:
In #6 I answered your first question but not the second because I assumed you know that we do some times need to take the Fourier transform and that Fourier transform defines an isomorphism.

Then comes this in #7
… I mean the functional integral over all paths, not an ordinary integral over one path.
This made no sense to me, for I have never asked you to integrate over “one path”. So, I had to tell you, in #10, that the propagator is obtained by doing all the [itex]x_{i}[/itex]’s integrations and taking the limit [itex]N \to \infty[/itex], i.e., summing over all possible paths (histories) connecting [itex]y = x(0)[/itex] and [itex]x = x(t)[/itex]. I also mentioned one possible the reason for taking the Fourier transform.Then, in #11, you transformed everything into a Drama about you and me. Sir, give me a break for I only speak about physics and mathematics on these forums. So, I believe doing the integral in #4 is a lot cuter than spending time making dramas.

The OP appears not in this discussion any longer and discussion has turned uncivil. Closing this down.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier

Related to Proof of Kaku (8.18): Completing the Square and Using Spiegel's Result

1. What is the "Proof of Kaku (8.18)?"

The "Proof of Kaku (8.18)" refers to a mathematical proof that was developed by physicist and string theorist Michio Kaku. It involves completing the square and using Spiegel's result to solve quadratic equations.

2. Why is completing the square important?

Completing the square is an important technique in mathematics because it allows us to solve quadratic equations that cannot be easily solved by factoring or using the quadratic formula. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as in calculus and optimization problems.

3. What is Spiegel's result?

Spiegel's result, also known as the "Spiegel equation," is a formula that is used to solve quadratic equations. It states that the roots of a quadratic equation can be found by taking the average of the roots of the equation obtained by completing the square.

4. What are some examples of using the "Proof of Kaku (8.18)?"

The "Proof of Kaku (8.18)" can be used to solve various types of quadratic equations, including those with complex solutions. It is also useful in solving real-life problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function.

5. How does the "Proof of Kaku (8.18)" relate to string theory?

The "Proof of Kaku (8.18)" was developed by Michio Kaku, who is a well-known physicist and string theorist. While the proof itself does not directly relate to string theory, it showcases the problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge that are essential in understanding complex theories like string theory.