Proof of inequality involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the inequality $$|\sinh(y)|\le|\sin(z)|\le|\cosh(y)|$$ through finding the real and imaginary parts of $z$. It is shown that $$|\sin(z)|=\sqrt{2\sinh(y)^2+1}$$ and the speaker is currently stuck at this point. They mention that $$\left| \sinh{(y)} \right| = \sqrt{ \sinh^2{(y)}}$$ which is clearly less than or equal to $$\sqrt{ 2\sinh^2{(y)} + 1 }$$.
shen07
Hi guys,

Can you help me I am stuck:

By finding the real and imaginary parts of z prove that,
$$|\sinh(y)|\le|\sin(z)|\le|\cosh(y)|$$

i have tried the following:

Let $$z=x+iy$$,
then $$\sin(z)=sin(x+iy)=\sin(x)\cosh(y)+i\sinh(y)\cos(x)$$

$$|\sin(z)|=\sqrt{(\sin(x)\cosh(y))^2+(\sinh(y) \cos(x))^2}=\sqrt{2\cosh(y)^2-1}=\sqrt{2\sinh(y)^2+1}$$

And now i am stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
shen07 said:
Hi guys,

Can you help me I am stuck:

By finding the real and imaginary parts of z prove that,
$$|\sinh(y)|\le|\sin(z)|\le|\cosh(y)|$$

i have tried the following:

Let $$z=x+iy$$,
then $$\sin(z)=sin(x+iy)=\sin(x)\cosh(y)+i\sinh(y)\cos(x)$$

$$|\sin(z)|=\sqrt{(\sin(x)\cosh(y))^2+(\sinh(y) \cos(x))^2}=\sqrt{2\cosh(y)^2-1}=\sqrt{2\sinh(y)^2+1}$$

And now i am stuck here.

Well notice that [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \sinh{(y)} \right| = \sqrt{ \sinh^2{(y)}} \end{align*}[/tex], which is clearly [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \leq \sqrt{ 2\sinh^2{(y)} + 1 } \end{align*}[/tex].

Related to Proof of inequality involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions

1. What is a proof of inequality involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions?

A proof of inequality involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions is a mathematical demonstration that shows the relationship between two or more circular and hyperbolic trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, hyperbolic sine, hyperbolic cosine, and hyperbolic tangent.

2. Why is it important to prove inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions?

Proving inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of these functions. It also allows us to solve more complex equations and make accurate predictions in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions?

Some common techniques used to prove inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions include using identities, manipulating algebraic expressions, and using calculus methods such as derivatives and integrals.

4. Can inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions be proven using geometric methods?

Yes, inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions can be proven using geometric methods. For example, the unit circle can be used to prove inequalities involving circular trig. functions, and the unit hyperbola can be used to prove inequalities involving hyperbolic trig. functions.

5. Are there any real-life applications of inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of inequalities involving circular and hyperbolic trig. functions. Some examples include calculating the maximum and minimum values of a periodic function, determining the stability of a system in physics and engineering, and solving optimization problems in economics and finance.