Proof of existence of a Jordan form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Jordan form of a matrix and the attempt to prove it. The main goal is to show that there exist distinct non-zero vectors v1 to vm such that A\vec{v}_i=\lambda \vec{v}_i+\vec{v}_{i-1} for all i. This is necessary to prove the linear independence and form a basis for the Jordan form. However, it is mentioned that this statement may not always hold true, as demonstrated by the identity matrix. The conversation also mentions that the concept of Jordan Normal Form is a non-trivial theorem and requires finding a proper statement to understand it better.
tim_lou
I have been recently introduced to the idea of Jordan form of a matrix, and I have attempted to prove it. However, there is one step that I cannot prove. If I can prove the step, then everything else is done.

Let A be a m by m matrix with characteristic polynomial
[tex]ch(x)=(x-\lambda)^{m}[/tex]
I want to show that there exist distinct vectors, v1 to vm, not zero, such that:
[tex]A\vec{v}_1=\lambda \vec{v}_1[/tex]
[tex]A\vec{v}_2=\lambda \vec{v}_2+\vec{v}_1[/tex]
[tex]A\vec{v}_3=\lambda \vec{v}_3+\vec{v}_2[/tex]
[tex]A\vec{v}_m=\lambda \vec{v}_m+\vec{v}_{m-1}[/tex]

as long as these vectors exist, I can show that they are linearly independent, form a basis... bla bla bla and the Jordan form easily follows...But I just do not know how theses vectors must exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt you can do that since it is not true (just take A the identity matrix). You should find a decent statement of Jordan Normal Form. It is not that you can find vectors like that. It is a statement about how to decompose a linear map as the composite of two linear maps satisfying certain properties.

Oh, and as far as I can recall, it is a very non-trivial theorem.

First of all, it is great that you have attempted to prove the existence of Jordan form and have made progress. The step that you are struggling with is a crucial one, and it is important to understand it in order to fully grasp the concept of Jordan form.

To prove the existence of Jordan form, we need to start with the fact that every matrix A with characteristic polynomial ch(x)=(x-\lambda)^{m} has at least one eigenvector v_1 corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda. This is because the characteristic polynomial is the product of all the eigenvalues of A and since we know that \lambda is an eigenvalue, there must be at least one eigenvector corresponding to it.

Now, if we consider the matrix A-\lambda I, where I is the identity matrix, we can see that the characteristic polynomial of this matrix is ch(x)=(x-\lambda)^{m-1}. This means that A-\lambda I has at least one eigenvector v_2 corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.

Next, we can consider the matrix (A-\lambda I)^2 which has the characteristic polynomial ch(x)=(x-\lambda)^{m-2}. This means that (A-\lambda I)^2 has at least one eigenvector v_3 corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda. Continuing this process, we can see that (A-\lambda I)^{m-1} has at least one eigenvector v_m corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.

Now, we can define the vectors v_1 to v_m as follows:
v_1 is the eigenvector of A corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.
v_2 is the eigenvector of (A-\lambda I) corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.
v_3 is the eigenvector of (A-\lambda I)^2 corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.
v_m is the eigenvector of (A-\lambda I)^{m-1} corresponding to the eigenvalue \lambda.

It can be shown that these vectors v_1 to v_m are linearly independent and form a basis for \mathbb{R}^m. This means that any vector in \mathbb{R}^m can be expressed as a linear combination of these vectors, which is exactly what we need to prove the existence of Jordan form.

In conclusion, the existence of Jordan form can be proved by

Related to Proof of existence of a Jordan form?

1. What is a Jordan form in mathematics?

A Jordan form is a type of matrix that is used to represent a linear transformation on a vector space. It is named after the mathematician Camille Jordan and has applications in various areas of mathematics, including linear algebra and differential equations.

2. Why is the existence of a Jordan form important?

The existence of a Jordan form is important because it allows us to simplify and understand complex linear transformations. It also provides a canonical form for matrices, allowing for easier computation and analysis.

3. How can one prove the existence of a Jordan form?

The existence of a Jordan form can be proven using the Jordan canonical form theorem. This theorem states that any matrix can be transformed into a Jordan form through a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix is multiplied by an invertible matrix to produce the Jordan form.

4. Are there any conditions for a matrix to have a Jordan form?

Yes, for a matrix to have a Jordan form, it must satisfy certain conditions. These include being a square matrix, having a characteristic polynomial that can be factored into linear factors, and having eigenvalues that are distinct from each other.

5. Can a matrix have multiple Jordan forms?

No, a matrix can only have one Jordan form. However, different matrices can have the same Jordan form if they are similar to each other. This is because similarity transformations preserve the structure of a matrix, including its Jordan form.