Proof of elementary row matrix operation.

In summary, the row interchange can be accomplished by a finite sequence of elementary row operations of the other two types.
Buffu
Prove that interchange of two rows of a matrix can be accomplished by a finite sequence of elemenatary row operations of the other two types.

My proof :-

If ##A_k## is to be interchanged by ##A_l## then,

##\displaystyle \begin{align} A_k &\to A_l + A_k \\ A_l &\to - A_l \\ A_l &\to A_k + A_l \\ A_l &\to A_l + A_k \\ A_l &\to \dfrac12 A_l \\ A_k &\to - A_k \\ A_k &\to A_k + A_l \\ A_k &\to - A_k \end{align}##

I think this now interchanges original ##A_l## with ##A_k##.
Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##K## and ##L## denote the original rows ##A_k,A_l##. Then we want to stepwise change ##A_k## and ##A_l## so that we end up with ##A_k=L,\ A_l=K##.

I suggest you re-write your proof, showing in each line the updated values of ##A_k## and ##A_l##, in terms of ##K## and ##L##. For instance line 1 would read:
$$
A_k\to A_l+A_k;\quad\quad A_k=L+K;\ A_l=L\quad\quad\quad(1)
$$

On my calculation, your sequence does not end up with the desired result.

However, given your first three steps, the desired result can be reached by three carefully chosen subsequent steps. I think if you write it out the way I suggest, those steps will not be hard to find.

Last edited:
hey! that's really cool! I never knew that. of course it is quite useles in practice since it took me 6 steps to accomplish one. but nice to know in theory. since the OP's steps did reveal how to do it, I presume his "error" is possibly a matter of miscommunication. Even if not, his steps, repeated, do work as pointed out subsequently by andrew.

##\displaystyle \begin{align} A_k &\to A_l + A_k \qquad &K &= L + K
\\ A_l &\to - A_l \qquad &L &= -L
\\ A_l &\to A_k + A_l \qquad &L &= L + K - L = K
\\ A_k &\to -A_l + A_k \qquad &K &= K+ L - K = L
\end{align}##

Now ?

Buffu said:
##\displaystyle \begin{align} A_k &\to A_l + A_k \qquad &K &= L + K
\\ A_l &\to - A_l \qquad &L &= -L
\\ A_l &\to A_k + A_l \qquad &L &= L + K - L = K
\\ A_k &\to -A_l + A_k \qquad &K &= K+ L - K = L
\end{align}##

Now ?
Writing things like ##K=L+K## doesn't make sense. Have another look at what I wrote in post 2. Think of ##A_l## and ##A_k## as the variable values of the rows, which get updated at each step, and write things like ##A_k=L+K;\ A_l=L##, on each line, which tells us the current values of both ##A_l## and ##A_k##, in terms of the constants ##K## and ##L##.

##\displaystyle \begin{align} A_k &\to A_l + A_k \qquad &A_k &= L + K
\\ A_l &\to - A_l \qquad &A_l &= -L
\\ A_l &\to A_k + A_l \qquad &A_l &= L + K - L = K
\\ A_k &\to -A_l + A_k \qquad &A_k &= K+ L - K = L
\end{align}##

Sorry I did not understand completely what you were saying.

Is that 4th step allowed: ##A_k\to -A_l+A_k##?

It seems implied by your OP that the 'other two types' of allowed operations to change a row are
(1) add another row to it; or
(2) multiply it by a scalar
That does not allow setting a row equal to a linear combination of rows, which is what your 4th step does. If that is allowed, then the whole thing can be done in three steps.

Nevertheless, if operations like your 4th step are included in 'the other two types', your solution is valid.

Likes Buffu
andrewkirk said:
Is that 4th step allowed: ##A_k\to -A_l+A_k##?

It seems implied by your OP that the 'other two types' of allowed operations to change a row are
(1) add another row to it; or
(2) multiply it by a scalar
That does not allow setting a row equal to a linear combination of rows, which is what your 4th step does. If that is allowed, then the whole thing can be done in three steps.

Nevertheless, if operations like your 4th step are included in 'the other two types', your solution is valid.

Sorry I did that unconsciously. It would require two more steps.

Buffu said:
Sorry I did that unconsciously. It would require two more steps.

In a problem such as this, for your own and everyone else's benefit, I would do it like this:

##A_k = K; A_l = L##
##A_k = K + L; A_l = L## (add ##A_l## to ##A_k##)
##A_k = K + L; A_l = 2L## (multiply ##A_l## by ##2##)

Etc. Then all is clear

here are my 6 steps, imitating those of the OP, in which the first, 3rd and 5th are adding a row to another, and the 2nd, 4th and 6th are multiplying a row by a scalar: ( the rows are written side by side)

[ A : B] --> [A+B : B] --> [A+B : -B] --> [A+B : A] --> [A+B : -A] --> [B : -A] --> [B : A].

Likes Buffu

Related to Proof of elementary row matrix operation.

1. What is a proof of elementary row matrix operation?

A proof of elementary row matrix operation is a method used to show that a given matrix can be transformed into another matrix through a series of elementary row operations, which include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, and adding a multiple of one row to another.

2. Why is it important to understand proof of elementary row matrix operation?

Understanding proof of elementary row matrix operation is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and determine the properties of a matrix, such as its rank and inverse. This knowledge is also essential in higher level mathematics and applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. How do you perform a proof of elementary row matrix operation?

A proof of elementary row matrix operation can be performed by first identifying the desired end matrix and then working backwards to determine the necessary elementary row operations. These operations can be performed using the row reduction method, where the goal is to obtain a matrix in reduced row echelon form.

4. What are some common mistakes made when proving elementary row matrix operation?

Some common mistakes made when proving elementary row matrix operation include not performing the operations correctly, skipping steps, and not keeping track of the operations that have been performed. It is important to double check each step and keep a record of the operations to ensure an accurate proof.

5. Can proof of elementary row matrix operation be used for any size of matrices?

Yes, proof of elementary row matrix operation can be used for matrices of any size. However, as the size of the matrix increases, the process may become more complex and time-consuming. It is important to have a clear understanding of the method and to be organized in order to successfully perform a proof for larger matrices.