Proof of Convergence: ∑∞n=1 n/(3n + n2)

In summary, The lecturer has stated that n/(3n + n2) ≥ n/(4n2) = 1/4n, based on the fact that for a,b,c > 0, a/b > a/c if b < c, and in this case, 3n + n2 < 4n2 for n > 1. This decision was made to prove divergence by comparison with the Harmonic Series. A similar inequality can be used in further examples by making the denominator bigger to make the fraction smaller, such as in the case of n/(n^2 + 3n).
Calu

Homework Statement

I have been asked to prove the convergence or otherwise of ∑n=1 n/(3n + n2).

In the example solution, with the aim to prove divergence by comparison with the Harmonic Series, the lecturer has stated that n/(3n + n2) ≥ n/(4n2) = 1/4n and which diverges to +∞.

I was wondering how to arrive at the decision to write n/(3n + n2) ≥ n/(4n2) came from, and how I would arrive at a similar inequality in further examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:

Homework Statement

I have been asked to prove the convergence or otherwise of ∑n=1 n/(3n + n2).

In the example solution, with the aim to prove divergence by comparison with the Harmonic Series, the lecturer has stated that n/(3n + n2) ≥ n/(4n2) = 1/4n and which diverges to +∞.

I was wondering how to arrive at the decision to write n/(3n + n2) ≥ n/(4n2) came from, and how I would arrive at a similar inequality in further examples.

For ##a,b,c,> 0## you have ##a/b > a/c## if ##b < c##. In other words, if you make the denominator bigger you make the fraction smaller. Of course, in this case you have ##3n + n^2 < 4 n^2## for ##n > 1## (when ##n < n^2##, so ##3n < 3 n^2##).

Ray Vickson said:
For ##a,b,c,> 0## you have ##a/b > a/c## if ##b < c##. In other words, if you make the denominator bigger you make the fraction smaller. Of course, in this case you have ##3n + n^2 < 4 n^2## for ##n > 1## (when ##n < n^2##, so ##3n < 3 n^2##).

I see, thank you very much.

A little simpler:
[tex]
\dfrac n{n^2+3n} = \dfrac{n}{n(n+3)} = \dfrac{1}{n+3} \ge \dfrac 1 {2n}
[/tex]
for [itex] n \ge 3 [/itex]

Related to Proof of Convergence: ∑∞n=1 n/(3n + n2)

What is the concept of convergence in mathematics?

Convergence in mathematics refers to the idea that a sequence of numbers or values approaches a certain limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the sequence progresses.

How do you test for convergence in a series?

One way to test for convergence in a series is to use the limit comparison test, which compares the series in question to a known convergent series. Another method is the ratio test, where the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is taken to determine if the series converges or diverges.

What is the proof of convergence for the series ∑∞n=1 n/(3n + n2)?

The proof of convergence for this series uses the limit comparison test. By comparing it to the series ∑∞n=1 1/n, we can see that the two series have the same convergence behavior. Since ∑∞n=1 1/n is a well-known convergent series, we can conclude that ∑∞n=1 n/(3n + n2) also converges.

Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. This is because the idea of convergence means that the terms in the series get closer and closer to a specific value as the series progresses. If the series were to converge to more than one value, that would mean the terms are getting closer to multiple values, which is not possible.

What is the use of convergence in real-world applications?

Convergence is a fundamental concept in mathematics that has many real-world applications. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict behavior. For example, in physics, convergence is used to determine the behavior of a system as it approaches equilibrium. In economics, it is used to analyze the stability of financial systems.