Proof of Commutator Operator Identity

In summary, there is a need for help in completing a proof for a commutator operator identity used in Harmonic Oscillator of Quantum Mechanics. The suggestion is to use mathematical induction, which involves proving two simpler statements. The commutator has a representation acting on the space of smooth functions, and for any function and real number, it can be shown that the commutator is equal to a certain expression.
Peter Yu
TL;DR Summary
Proof of Commutator Operator Identity used in Harmonic Oscillator of Quantum Mechanics
Hi All,
I try to prove the following commutator operator Identity used in Harmonic Oscillator of Quantum Mechanics. In the process, I do not know how to proceed forward. I need help to complete my proof.
Many Thanks.

1583139943257.png

1583139999911.png

Attachments

• 1583140001145.png
    1583140001145.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, If ##k## is a natural number (which seems to be an asumtion in your proof) I would recommend you to use mathematical induction.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you for your response.
Can you enlighten me on the approach.

Do you know what mathematical induction is?

Sorry I do not know. Can you give me some hints.

Peter Yu said:
Sorry I do not know. Can you give me some hints.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_induction

Essentially, is to prove only two easier statements:
$$\left[\hat{a}^\dagger, \hat{a}\right]=-\hat{a}^0$$ and $$\left[\hat{a}^\dagger, \hat{a}^k\right]=-k\hat{a}^{k-1}\Longrightarrow \left[\hat{a}^\dagger, \hat{a}^{k+1}\right]=-(k+1)\hat{a}^{k}$$

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
Peter Yu said:
[tex]\big[ \hat{a}^{\dagger} , \left( \hat{a}\right)^{k}\big] = - k \left( \hat{a}\right)^{k - 1}[/tex]
You can easily show that the commutator [itex]\big[ \hat{a}^{\dagger} , \hat{a} \big] = -1[/itex] has the following representation [tex]\hat{a} \to a \ \mbox{id}_{C^{\infty}} , \ \ \hat{a}^{\dagger} \to - \frac{d}{da} ,[/tex]
acting on the space [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex] of smooth functions of the variable [itex]a[/itex]. So, for any function [itex]f(a) \in C^{\infty}[/itex] and any [itex]p \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], you have [tex]\big[ \hat{a}^{\dagger} , (f(a))^{p} \ \mbox{id}_{C^{\infty}} \big] = - p \ (f(a))^{p-1} \ \frac{df}{da} \ \mbox{id}_{C^{\infty}} .[/tex]

Likes dextercioby

Related to Proof of Commutator Operator Identity

What is the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity"?

The "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" is a mathematical concept that shows the relationship between two operators in quantum mechanics. It states that the commutator of two operators is equal to the negative of the commutator of the same operators in reverse order.

Why is the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" important?

The "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" is important because it allows us to simplify complex mathematical equations in quantum mechanics. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how operators interact with each other.

How is the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" used in quantum mechanics?

The "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" is used in quantum mechanics to simplify equations and make calculations easier. It is also used to derive other important identities and equations in quantum mechanics.

What are some real-life applications of the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity"?

The "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" has many real-life applications, such as in the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. It is also used in various fields of physics, including particle physics and condensed matter physics.

Is the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" a proven concept?

Yes, the "Proof of Commutator Operator Identity" has been proven and is widely accepted in the field of quantum mechanics. It has been extensively studied and used in various applications, making it a fundamental concept in the field.