Proof of Cauchy's Inequality .... Sohrab Proposition 2.1.23 ....

In summary, the conversation discusses Proposition 2.1.23/Exercise 2.1.24, which involves determining the discriminant of a quadratic equation and using its properties to solve the exercise. The discriminant is found to be $Z^2 - XY$, and it is established that it is not positive for the equation to have distinct roots. Thus, $Z^2 \leqslant XY$ is used to solve the exercise.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with Proposition 2.1.23/Exercise 2.1.24 (Exercise 2.1.24 asks readers to prove Proposition 2.1.23) ...

Proposition 2.1.23/Exercise 2.1.24 reads as follows:View attachment 7055
In the above text by Sohrab, we read the following:

" ... ... Observe that for any \(\displaystyle t \in \mathbb{R}, F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\) and look at the discriminant \(\displaystyle Z^2 - XY\) of \(\displaystyle F(t)\). ... ... "Can someone please explain how one proceeds after determining the discriminant and what principles/properties of the discriminant are used?

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=========================================================================================Note: my working so far on the exercise is as follows:\(\displaystyle F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\)

Now ... ... \(\displaystyle \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i^2 - 2t x_i y_i + t^2 y_i^2) \ge 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2 - 2 t \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i + t^2 \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2 \ge 0\) ... ... ... (1)... now let \(\displaystyle X = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2\), \(\displaystyle Y = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2\) and \(\displaystyle Z = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i\)Then (1) becomes \(\displaystyle X - 2t Z + Y t^2 \ge 0\)

and the discriminant, \(\displaystyle D = 4Z^2 - 4XY\) BUT ... how do we proceed from here .. ... and exactly what properties of the discriminant do we use ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
" ... ... Observe that for any \(\displaystyle t \in \mathbb{R}, F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\) and look at the discriminant \(\displaystyle Z^2 - XY\) of \(\displaystyle F(t)\). ... ... "Can someone please explain how one proceeds after determining the discriminant and what principles/properties of the discriminant are used?

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

=========================================================================================Note: my working so far on the exercise is as follows:\(\displaystyle F(t) = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\)

Now ... ... \(\displaystyle \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i - t y_i )^2 \ge 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n ( x_i^2 - 2t x_i y_i + t^2 y_i^2) \ge 0\)

\(\displaystyle \Longleftrightarrow \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2 - 2 t \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i + t^2 \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2 \ge 0\) ... ... ... (1)... now let \(\displaystyle X = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i^2\), \(\displaystyle Y = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n y_i^2\) and \(\displaystyle Z = \sum_{ i = 1 }^n x_i y_i\)Then (1) becomes \(\displaystyle X - 2t Z + Y t^2 \ge 0\)

and the discriminant, \(\displaystyle D = 4Z^2 - 4XY\) BUT ... how do we proceed from here .. ... and exactly what properties of the discriminant do we use ...
If the discriminant is positive then the quadratic equation $F(t) = 0$ will have two distinct roots $t = \dfrac{2Z \pm\sqrt D}{2Y}$. If $t$ lies anywhere between these roots then $F(t)$ will be negative. But $F(t)$ is never negative. It follows that the discriminant is not positive, in other words $D \leqslant 0$. Thus $4Z^2 - 4XY \leqslant 0$, so that $Z^2 \leqslant XY.$

Opalg said:
If the discriminant is positive then the quadratic equation $F(t) = 0$ will have two distinct roots $t = \dfrac{2Z \pm\sqrt D}{2Y}$. If $t$ lies anywhere between these roots then $F(t)$ will be negative. But $F(t)$ is never negative. It follows that the discriminant is not positive, in other words $D \leqslant 0$. Thus $4Z^2 - 4XY \leqslant 0$, so that $Z^2 \leqslant XY.$

Thanks Opalg ... your post was really helpful ...

Peter

Related to Proof of Cauchy's Inequality .... Sohrab Proposition 2.1.23 ....

1. What is Cauchy's inequality?

Cauchy's inequality is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that states that for any two sequences of real or complex numbers, the sum of their products is always less than or equal to the product of their respective norms. In other words, the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

2. What is Sohrab Proposition 2.1.23?

Sohrab Proposition 2.1.23 is a specific version of Cauchy's inequality that applies to the inner product of two functions. It states that for any two functions f and g in the interval [a,b], the integral of their product is always less than or equal to the product of their respective integrals. This proposition is commonly used in analysis and functional analysis.

3. How is Cauchy's inequality used in mathematics?

Cauchy's inequality is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and functional analysis. It is often used to prove other theorems and to provide bounds on the solutions of equations. It is also used in optimization problems and in the study of inequalities.

4. Can Cauchy's inequality be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Cauchy's inequality can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, there are several versions of the theorem for different types of vector spaces, including finite-dimensional and infinite-dimensional spaces. However, the basic principle of the inequality remains the same - the product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their respective norms.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Cauchy's inequality?

Yes, Cauchy's inequality has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used in the analysis of data and signals, in optimization problems, and in the study of geometric figures and shapes. It is also used in statistics to establish bounds on the accuracy of measurements and in the study of probability distributions.