Proof of Banach-Caccioppoli theorem

In summary, the uniqueness of the fixed point is easily seen by taking an arbitrary point and noting that the distance between any two points in the domain is always less than or equal to the given constant. Convergence of the series can be seen by noting that as the series approaches zero, its terms become arbitrarily small.
ozkan12
Let $(X,d)$ be a complete metric space and let $f:X\to X$ be a mapping such that for each $n\ge1$, there exists a constant ${c}_{n}$ such that

$d\left({f}^{n}x,{f}^{n}y\right)$ $\le{c}_{n}d\left(x,y\right)$ for all $x,y\in X$ where

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$. Then f has a unique fixed point.

I didnt prove this theorem and I didnt find article which is related to this theorem...Please can you help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
Let $(X,d)$ be a complete metric space and let $f:X\to X$ be a mapping such that for each $n\ge1$, there exists a constant ${c}_{n}$ such that

$d\left({f}^{n}x,{f}^{n}y\right)$ $\le{c}_{n}d\left(x,y\right)$ for all $x,y\in X$ where

$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$. Then f has a unique fixed point.

I didnt prove this theorem and I didnt find article which is related to this theorem...Please can you help me ?
The uniqueness is more or less obvious: if $x$ and $y$ are both fixed points then $d(f^nx,f^ny) = d(x,y)$, which does not tend to zero.

For the existence, take an arbitrary point $x_0\in X$ and let $x_n = f^nx_0$ (for all $n\geqslant1$). Then $d(x_n,x_{n+1}) = d(f^nx_0,f^{n+1}x_0) \leqslant c_nd(x_0,x_1).$ It follows that $\sum_{n=0}^\infty d(x_n,x_{n+1}) < \infty.$ Use that to show that the sequence $(x_n)$ is Cauchy and therefore converges to a limit point. Show that this limit point has to be a fixed point of $f$.

Dear professor,

How we get $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)\le\infty$ ?Also, how I can use $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)\le\infty$ to show that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is Cauchy sequence ?

Thank you for your attention

ozkan12 said:
How we get $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)\le\infty$ ?
Use
\[
d(x_n,x_{n+1}) = d(f^nx_0,f^{n+1}x_0) \leqslant c_nd(x_0,x_1)
\]
derived in post #2 and the given fact that $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$.

ozkan12 said:
Also, how I can use $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)\le\infty$ to show that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is Cauchy sequence ?
By triangle inequality, $d(x_n,x_m)\le\sum_{k=n}^{m-1}d(x_k,x_{k+1})\le\sum_{k=n}^\infty d(x_k,x_{k+1})$. Since the series $\sum_{k=0}^\infty d(x_k,x_{k+1})$ converges, its tail becomes arbitrarily small.

Dear Makarov,

What is the means of "its tail becomes arbitrarily small. " ?

By a tail of a series $\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_n$ I mean the series $\sum_{k=n}^\infty a_n$ for some $n$. And if the first series converges, then for every $\varepsilon>0$ there exists an $N>0$ such that $\left|\sum_{k=n}^\infty a_n\right|<\varepsilon$ for all $n>N$.

Dear Makarov,

İf $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$ then series of $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}$ is convergent...İs this true ?...Also, if $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$, then $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}d\left({x}_{0},{x}_{1}\right)<\infty$...İs this true ? I ask these questions because my knowledge of functional analysis is not well...Thank you for your attention...

ozkan12 said:
İf $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$ then series of $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}$ is convergent...İs this true ?
This is the definition of the notation $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$, at least when all $c_n$ are nonnegative.
ozkan12 said:
Also, if $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}<\infty$, then $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{c}_{n}d\left({x}_{0},{x}_{1}\right)<\infty$...İs this true ?
Yes.

ozkan12 said:
I ask these questions because my knowledge of functional analysis is not well.
These are questions from calculus, not functional analysis.

Dear Makarov,

So, if first one is not true, how I can prove that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ? Can you prove that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}${x_n} is cauchy sequence and uniqueness of fixed point ? Also, how series of $\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{k},{x}_{k+1}\right)$ convergent ? I didnt understand ? Thank you for your attention...

Last edited:
ozkan12 said:
how I can prove that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ?
The proof is written in posts 2, 4 and 6.

ozkan12 said:
Also, how series of $\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}d\left({x}_{k},{x}_{k+1}\right)$ convergent ?
This is also answered in post #4.

In order to understand these hints, you need to review the definition and theory of Cauchy sequences and convergent series.

Please, Can you talk on these hints ? Because, I have not any calculus or functional analysis book in my home

Related to Proof of Banach-Caccioppoli theorem

What is the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem?

The Banach-Caccioppoli theorem, also known as the Banach fixed-point theorem, is a fundamental result in functional analysis that guarantees the existence of a fixed point for certain types of functions on complete metric spaces.

What is the significance of the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem?

The Banach-Caccioppoli theorem has many applications in mathematics and other fields, such as physics and economics. It is used to prove the existence of solutions to various equations and optimization problems, and it provides a powerful tool for proving the convergence of iterative algorithms.

What are the conditions for the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem to hold?

The Banach-Caccioppoli theorem requires the underlying space to be complete, which means that all Cauchy sequences in the space converge to a point in the space. Additionally, the function must be a contraction mapping, meaning that it reduces the distance between points when applied to them.

What are some examples of applications of the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem?

The Banach-Caccioppoli theorem has been used to prove the existence of solutions to differential equations, optimization problems, and systems of equations. It has also been applied in the field of economics to study the convergence of dynamic systems and in physics to study the behavior of chaotic systems.

Is the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem limited to a specific type of space?

No, the Banach-Caccioppoli theorem can be applied to a wide range of spaces, including finite-dimensional and infinite-dimensional spaces, as long as they are complete and the function satisfies the contraction mapping condition. This versatility makes it a valuable tool in many areas of mathematics and beyond.