Proof of angular momentum conservation

In summary, the conversation is about two questions regarding the differentiation of a cross product and the derivation of a mathematical maneuver using equations (1.12) and (1.13). The first question is about the absence of terms in (1.12) and the second question is about the mathematical manipulation of ri X Fji. The conversation ends with a request for a clear explanation and a statement that the first question has been resolved.
KT KIM
upload.png

This is from text [Introduction to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics] on NTNU opencourse.
Annnnd... I don't use english as my primary language, so sorry for poor sentences.

I can't get two things in here.

First, at (1.12) I can't understand how L dot derivated like that.
Since I know differentiation of cross product should be done like

d/dt(AxB)=d/dt(A) x B + A x d/dt(B)

then, at (1.12), why it doesn't have the terms of d/dt(r) x p ?
I think it only has the terms of r x d/dt(p)

Second, I can't get how
upload2.png

were derived by using (1.13), How could ri X Fji = 1/2(rij X Fji)
is possible?

These might be dumb questions, but please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
KT KIM said:
en, at (1.12), why it doesn't have the terms of d/dt(r) x p ?
##\boldsymbol p_i=m_i\dot{\boldsymbol r}_i,\quad \dot{\boldsymbol r}_i\times\dot{\boldsymbol r}_i=0##
by the way ##\sum_{ij}{\boldsymbol r}_{i}\times\boldsymbol F_{ji}=0##

Thank you for clear explanation. Got the first one.

Yes Σij rij x Fji = 0 so eventually it makes L dot = tau (torque)
But, what I want know is the mathematical manuever that makes ri X Fji = 1/2(rij X Fji)

do the calculation for two particles directly and everything will be clear

Related to Proof of angular momentum conservation

1. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts on the system. This means that the rotational motion of a system will remain constant unless an external force is applied.

2. Why is angular momentum conservation important?

Angular momentum conservation is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that applies to many different systems, from atoms to galaxies. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects and systems, and is essential in fields such as astrophysics and engineering.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on the system. In a rotating system, this means that as the distance from the axis of rotation increases, the speed of rotation decreases in order to maintain a constant angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum be created or destroyed?

No, angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred between different parts of a system or between a system and its surroundings. This is because of the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant.

5. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum and torque are closely related. Torque is the rotational equivalent of force, and it is a measure of the amount of twisting force applied to a rotating object. The change in angular momentum of a system is directly proportional to the torque applied to the system, according to the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This relationship is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.