Fourier Analysis in QM: Practical Applications & Potential Pitfalls

In summary, myself and another user on a forum have encountered a hurdle in understanding the use of Fourier transforms in representing an arbitrary matter wave. By using the theory of Fourier analysis, we can construct a localized composite wave function by adding up a large number of plane waves with different momentums. The relative amplitudes of these component waves are determined by the function A(p[x]). This concept can be applied practically by using experimental data to determine the desired wave function, and then using the transform to find the component amplitudes. Additionally, Fourier transforms can also be used to solve differential equations in fields such as electricity and magnetism, heat conduction, and mechanical vibrations. Different sets of functions, such as Legendre Polynomials and Hermite
heardie
Myself and a user on another board have come to the following hurdle we can't overcome:

Mathematically we represent an arbiarty matter wave as a superposition of plane waves; using the theory of Fourier analysis. We can write an arbitary wavepacked as a Fourier integral of the form:
[tex]$\psi (x,t) = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {A(p_x )e^{\frac{i}{\hbar }(p_x x - Et)} dP_x } $
[/tex]

What this means is we can mathematically constuct a localised complace wavefunction by adding up (integrating) a large number of plane waves each with different momentum. The relaive amplitde of the component waves is determined by the function A(p[x]) which is given by:

[tex]$A(p_x ) = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {2\pi } }}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {\psi (x,t)e^{\frac{i}{\hbar }(p_x x - Et)} dx} $
[/tex]

The functions psi(x,t) and A(p[x])) are called Fourier transofrms of one another.

How could we use this practically? Isn't there a circular argument there? To get teh amplitudes, we need the wavefunction, but to get teh wavefunction we need the amplitudes. The only answer I could give was that the amplitudes may fall naturally out of the system being studied. However having not 'offically' studied Fourier series before, is there a simpiler explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well my knowledge of Fourier series being better than my knowledge of quantum mechanics formalisms (though still not that great), i would say to remember that these are general cases. We can use experimental data to determine what we want the wavefunction to be. and from there the component amplitudes are fairly simple(EDIT:this is a relative term, they may not be imple to actually obtain, but the process should be obvious). Also it might be easiser to think in terms of the non-complex Fourier series, rather than the complex forms of the transforms.

The wavefunction must satisfy the dynamical equation in theory. If you know your physical system, then you can solve for the theoretical wavefunction, and this may be most convenient in the momentum basis. Even if the momentum basis doesn't make things convenient for you, you may still want to know what momenta to expect in an experiment once you find what the theory says the wavefunction should be (in the configuration basis). In other words: sometimes you start with ψ(x,t) and for whatever reason you want ψk.

Another thing you can do is make a bunch of momentum measurements. This would give you the Fourier amplitudes (technically, I think it would have to be a Fourier series). Then, you would use the transform if you wanted to find the wavefunction as a spatial probability distribution. In other words: sometimes you start with ψk and for whatever reason you want ψ(x,t).

FT's and QM

Your question could well be articulated for Electricity and Magnetism, heat conduction, mechanical vibrations. The use of Fourier Transforms -- or series-- is often a useful tool for the solution of differential equations., ordinary and partial.The wave equation, for the Schrodinger Eq. or Dirac Eq. for a free particle, is transformed by the Fourier Transform into an algebraic equation, one that's easy to solve.

One approach to proof of the Uncertainty Princ. uses a Gaussian wave function to describe a wave packet. And the FT of a Gaussian is a Gaussian. As it turns out, a narrow spatial wave packet leads to a broad momentum space wave packet. So FTs are useful for basic theoretical work.

Note that Fourier - like transforms and series can be developed with many sets of functions -- Legendre Polynomials for angular momentum, Hermite Functions for oscillators, and others as well.

Many books on mathematical physics, QM, E&M discuss all of this in great detail. Like everything else, FTs are sometime useful and appropriate, and sometimes not.

Regards,
R. Atkinson

1. What is Fourier analysis and how is it used in quantum mechanics?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into simpler components. In quantum mechanics, it is used to decompose a wave function into its constituent energy states, providing information about the energy levels and probabilities of a system.

2. What are some practical applications of Fourier analysis in quantum mechanics?

Fourier analysis is commonly used in quantum mechanics to analyze the energy spectrum of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also used in spectroscopy to identify the energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules, and in quantum computing to manipulate and control quantum states.

3. What are some potential pitfalls when using Fourier analysis in quantum mechanics?

One potential pitfall is the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we measure the energy of a system, the less precisely we can measure its position. This can lead to uncertainties in the energy spectrum obtained through Fourier analysis. Additionally, care must be taken to avoid numerical errors and artifacts that can arise from using discrete Fourier transforms in place of continuous transforms.

4. Can Fourier analysis be used for any quantum system?

Yes, Fourier analysis can be applied to any quantum system with a wave function. However, the complexity and accuracy of the analysis may vary depending on the system and the specific application.

5. Are there any alternatives to Fourier analysis for studying energy states in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are other mathematical techniques such as wavelet analysis and spectral decomposition that can also be used to analyze energy states in quantum mechanics. These techniques may have different advantages and limitations compared to Fourier analysis, and the choice of method will depend on the specific application and the properties of the system being studied.