Proof of a linear operator acting on an inverse of a group element

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the statement D(g_{1}^{-1}) = [D(g_{1})]^{-1}. The group element g_{1} has a corresponding inverse g_{1}^{-1} and a linear transformation D is defined for this element. It is mentioned that D is a group homomorphism. By considering D(g_1 g_1^{-1}) = D(g_1) D(g_1^{-1}), it can be shown that D(E) = E, where E is the identity. This leads to the conclusion that [D(g_{1})]^{-1} = D(g_{1}^{-1}).
Dixanadu
Hey guys!

Basically, I was wondering how to prove the following statement. I've seen it in the Hamermesh textbook without proof, so I wanted to know how you go about doing it.

Let's say you have a group element [itex]g_{1}[/itex], which has a corresponding inverse [itex]g_{1}^{-1}[/itex]. Let's also define a linear transformation D for this group element.

So what I am trying to prove is that

[itex]D(g_{1}^{-1}) = [D(g_{1})]^{-1} [/itex]

Can u guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
By linear transformation do you mean group homomorphism? If so just consider
[tex] D(g_1 g_1^{-1}) = D(g_1) D(g_1^{-1}) [/tex]

yes it is a homomorphism. But what u wrote in the previous message, where do I go from there? cos [itex]D(g_{1}g_{1}^{-1})[/itex] is just [itex]D(E)[/itex] where E is the identity, right? o.o

Yes, and what is D(E) equal to?

OHH I get it. Basically, because [itex]D(E) = E[/itex], we can say that

[itex]E = D(g_{1})D(g_{1}^{-1})[/itex]
Then by multiplying both sides on the left by [itex][D(g_{1})]^{-1}[/itex] we get

[itex][D(g_{1})]^{-1} = D(g_{1}^{-1})[/itex]...I think...

Related to Proof of a linear operator acting on an inverse of a group element

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is an inverse of a group element?

The inverse of a group element is the element that when combined with the original element, results in the identity element of the group.

3. What does it mean for a linear operator to act on an inverse of a group element?

When a linear operator acts on an inverse of a group element, it means that the operator is applied to the inverse element, resulting in a new element in the same group.

4. How is proof of a linear operator acting on an inverse of a group element determined?

Proof of a linear operator acting on an inverse of a group element is determined by applying the operator to the inverse element and showing that the result is a valid element in the same group.

5. What are some applications of linear operators acting on an inverse of a group element?

Linear operators acting on an inverse of a group element are commonly used in abstract algebra, functional analysis, and quantum mechanics. They have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.