Proof no photoelectric effect on a free electron

In summary, the question asks for a proof that the photoelectric effect cannot occur with a free electron, and a hint is given to consider the reference frame where the total momentum of the electron and incident photon is zero. After considering the conservation of energy and momentum in this frame, it is concluded that a free electron cannot absorb a photon, thus making the photoelectric effect impossible. However, this problem disappears when translation invariance is broken.
KyleS4562

Homework Statement

The question asks me to prove that the photoelectric effect cannot occur with a free electron. ie. one not bound to an atom. A hint is also provided: Consider the reference frame in which the total momentum of the electron and incident photon are zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking about how to prove this for like a week, but i cannot figure out how to do so. I know that in the case of a free electron, we will have a work function potential of 0V. As for the hint, I cannot really figure out what it is trying to get me to do. In the zero momentum frame, we are moving at a velocity that gives the electron a momentum equal to the momentum of the photon. This direction is the same direction that the photon moves in. The electron momentum will be the same, since p=E/c, which is a constant after an energy is predetermined in all frames (right?). After the collision (or absorption in this case), in this frame, the electron should stay stationary, since this is the zero momentum frame. If I were to move back to the lab frame, I would see the electron moving in the same direction as the photon was moving.

This actually brings me to more confusion. Why don't we just get Compton scattering at this point? Why should the photon be absorbed by the electron anyways?

If anyone could please push me into the right direction I would appreciate it greatly!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question is really asking whether a free electron can in fact absorb a photon, rather than just scatter it (e.g. Compton scattering or Thompson scattering). Can momentum be conserved in that frame of reference when the photon will disappear after absorption?

I actually haven't done these calculations myself, so if I'm leading you on the wrong path, I'm sorry. =P

Matterwave is right in that that's what the question is asking, since the photoelectric effect is when a photon gets absorbed by an electron.

That said, you deduced correctly that the electron has to be stationary. But energy has to be conserved too, so where did all the energy go?

It wouldn't have anywhere to go if it is absorbed. so that is why a photoelectric effect is wrong.
so I can say:

Before in CM:
[tex] E_{CM,before}=E_{\gamma}+E_{e}[/tex]

[tex]E_{e}=\sqrt{(pc)^{2}+(mc^{2})^2}[/tex]

but, the momentum of the electron is the same as of the photon

[tex]E_{e}=\sqrt{E_{\gamma}^{2}+(mc^{2})^2}[/tex]

[tex]E_{CM,before}=E_{\gamma}+\sqrt{E_{\gamma}^{2}+(mc^{2})^2}[/tex]

After:

[tex]E_{CM,after}=mc^{2}[/tex]

but
[tex]E_{CM,after}[/tex] does not equal [tex]E_{CM,before}[/tex] so a electron cannot not absorb a photon?

Yes. Even simpler, you can say that the kinetic energy before the absorption is non-zero but the kinetic energy after is zero, which is impossible.

Although as soon as you break translation invariance this problem disappears!

Have you tried to see if the relativistic four momentum is conserved in this frame?

I think I got it. Before the encounter, the total four momentum in said frame is 0, after it it will be something not zero due to the rest mass of the electron. I haven't really thought about it, but maybe this helps.

Related to Proof no photoelectric effect on a free electron

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. How does the photoelectric effect relate to free electrons?

The photoelectric effect can occur on both bound and free electrons. However, in the case of free electrons, they are not bound to a specific atom or molecule and are more easily affected by external forces, such as electromagnetic radiation.

3. Is there any proof that the photoelectric effect does not occur on free electrons?

Yes, there is evidence that shows that the photoelectric effect does not occur on free electrons. This can be seen in experiments where free electrons are exposed to high-frequency light, yet they do not emit any electrons.

4. What is the explanation for the lack of photoelectric effect on free electrons?

The explanation for this is based on the understanding of the photoelectric effect, which states that electrons can only be emitted from a material if the energy of the incident light is greater than the material's work function. Since free electrons do not have a work function, they cannot be emitted through the photoelectric effect.

5. Are there any potential applications of the lack of photoelectric effect on free electrons?

Yes, the lack of photoelectric effect on free electrons has potential applications in fields such as photovoltaics and electron microscopy. This can be seen in the creation of solar cells, where free electrons are utilized to generate electricity, and in electron microscopes, where the lack of photoelectric effect allows for clearer and more precise imaging.