[Proof] Magnetic field of a permanent magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the magnetic field of a magnet and how to approach finding it when Biot-Savart law cannot be used. One suggestion is to use the relation ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}## and invoke a vector identity to rewrite the integral. It is noted that although there are no free currents, ##\vec{A}## is not necessarily zero. The conversation also discusses using Gauss law and the fact that both ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{H}## approach zero as you go infinitely far from the magnet. An argument is made that the surface integral at infinity will be zero due to the rapid
athrun200

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58634&stc=1&d=1368265989.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the expression for the magnetic field of a magnet? Biot Soviet law cannot be used since there is no current. What should I do? I get stuck at the final step shown below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58637&stc=1&d=1368266296.jpg

Attachments

• 2012.jpg
    2012.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 587
  • 2012a.JPG
    2012a.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 594
Physics news on Phys.org
For magnets you don't have the simple relation ##\vec{M} = \chi \vec{H}##.

One approach to this problem is to note that you can always write ##\vec{B}## in terms of a vector potential as ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}##. Use this for ##\vec{B}## in the integral and invoke a vector identity to rewrite the integral.

TSny said:
For magnets you don't have the simple relation ##\vec{M} = \chi \vec{H}##.

One approach to this problem is to note that you can always write ##\vec{B}## in terms of a vector potential as ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}##. Use this for ##\vec{B}## in the integral and invoke a vector identity to rewrite the integral.

[itex]\int(\nabla \vec{A} \times \vec{H}) d\tau[/itex]=[itex]\int[(\nabla \times \vec{H}) \cdot \vec{A}] d\tau[/itex]+[itex]\int(\vec{A} \times \vec{H})da[/itex]

I know the integral on the left is zero as
[itex]\nabla \times \vec{H}=J_{f}[/itex]
and there is no free current.

I don't know if the same argument can be used on the second integral as A comes from current, no current means A=0.(Griffiths 3rd edition p235 )

Last edited:
Use the identity ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{A} \times \vec{H}) = \vec{H} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H})##

As you noted, there are no free currents so ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H} = 0##. However, no free currents does not mean that ##\vec{A} = 0##. Page 235 of Griffiths is assuming a situation where the B-field is produced only by free currents. See page 263 for a discussion of A due to magnetization of a material.

TSny said:
Use the identity ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{A} \times \vec{H}) = \vec{H} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}) - \vec{A} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H})##

As you noted, there are no free currents so ##\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{H} = 0##. However, no free currents does not mean that ##\vec{A} = 0##. Page 235 of Griffiths is assuming a situation where the B-field is produced only by free currents. See page 263 for a discussion of A due to magnetization of a material.

However magnetization [itex]M[/itex] is not known in this question, in other words, finding [itex]A[/itex] doesn't work since p 263 talks about bounded current which requires [itex]M[/itex]?

I used Gauss law on the second integral, now I need to prove either
[itex]\vec{A}\times \vec{H}=0[/itex]
or
[itex]\int \vec{A}\times \vec{H} da=0[/itex]

I still cannot think of a exact method.

One idea in my mind now (but not sure if it makes sense) is to use the given condition "the integral carried out over all space", then the surface integral can be a surface far away from the magnet in which there is no magnetization and thus [itex]\vec{A}=0[/itex]

In general, ##\vec{A}## is nonzero even at places where ##\vec{M}## is zero (outside the magnet). However, both ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{H}## approach zero as you go infinitely far from the magnet. As you said, the surface integral is at infinity. You can argue that ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{H}## approach zero "fast enough" as you go infinitely far from the magnet that the surface integral will be zero.

I know [itex]\overrightarrow A [/itex] decreases in the order of [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex].
However how does [itex]\overrightarrow H [/itex] decreases with ##r##?

Base on the equation [itex]\overrightarrow H = \frac{1}{{{\mu _0}}}\overrightarrow B + \overrightarrow M [/itex], we conclude that [itex]\overrightarrow H [/itex] depends on [itex]\overrightarrow B [/itex].
Also [itex]\overrightarrow B \propto \frac{1}{{{r^2}}}[/itex] implies [itex]\overrightarrow A \times \overrightarrow H \propto \frac{1}{r}\frac{1}{{{r^2}}}[/itex] which decreases faster than the surface integral thus the integral approaches zero [itex]r[/itex] approaches zero.

Is this argument valid?

Last edited:

Related to [Proof] Magnetic field of a permanent magnet

1. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of ferromagnetic material and has a constant magnetic field that does not require an external current to maintain it. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is made by passing an electric current through a wire around a ferromagnetic core, creating a temporary magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic field of a permanent magnet calculated?

The magnetic field of a permanent magnet can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀M, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and M is the magnetic moment of the magnet.

3. What factors affect the strength of a permanent magnet's magnetic field?

The strength of a permanent magnet's magnetic field is affected by the type of material it is made of, the shape and size of the magnet, and the temperature it is exposed to. The stronger the magnetic material and the larger the magnet, the stronger the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field of a permanent magnet be changed?

No, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet cannot be changed. It is a characteristic of the material and cannot be altered without destroying the magnet.

5. How does the magnetic field of a permanent magnet interact with other magnets or magnetic materials?

The magnetic field of a permanent magnet can either attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials depending on their orientations. Like poles (north and north or south and south) repel each other, while opposite poles (north and south) attract each other.