Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Proof it is a base in a metric space...

Lolyta

Feb 21, 2012
Hello. This is my problem:
Let (X,T) a metric space, if $A\subset X$ is dense, proof that $B=$ { $B_d$(a,$\frac{1}{n}$) :$a\in A$ , $n\in N$ } is base for T. ($B_d$ is a ball).
I don't know how to do it: but here i let you two propositions I think they could be useful (but I don't know how to use them well).

a) B is base if and only if $\forall U \in T$ with U open and $\forall x \in U$ exists $b\in B$: $x\in B \subset U$
b) B is base if we can put every open as an union of elements of the base.

Thank you so much for any help!

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
Hello. This is my problem:
Let (X,T) a metric space, if $A\subset X$ is dense, proof that $B=$ { $B_d$(a,$\frac{1}{n}$) :$a\in A$ , $n\in N$ } is base for T. ($B_d$ is a ball).
If $\alpha>0$ and $x\in B(a,\alpha)$ then there is a $\beta>0$ such that $B(x,\beta)\subset B(a;\alpha)$
You should have proved that basic theorem before.

Now just note if $t\in U$ the there is a ball $B(t;\alpha)\subseteq U$ which must contain a point $a\in A$.

Now you are just about done.

Lolyta

Feb 21, 2012
If $\alpha>0$ and $x\in B(a,\alpha)$ then there is a $\beta>0$ such that $B(x,\beta)\subset B(a;\alpha)$
You should have proved that basic theorem before.

Now just note if $t\in U$ the there is a ball $B(t;\alpha)\subseteq U$ which must contain a point $a\in A$.

Now you are just about done.
do you use A is dense? where?
Thank you so much!

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
do you use A is dense? where?
Thank you so much!
The fact that $A$ is dense in $X$ means that any open set in $X$ contains a point of $A$.