Proof: If a Polynomial & its Derivative have Same Root

In summary, if there exists a value ##c## such that ##f(c)=f'(c)=0##, then the polynomial ##f(x)## can be expressed as ##f(x)=(x-c)^mh(x)##, where ##m## is an integer greater than 1 and ##h(x)## is a polynomial. This can be easily proved using the factor theorem, but an elementary proof can also be found.
Happiness
Given a polynomial ##f(x)##. Suppose there exists a value ##c## such that ##f(c)=f'(c)=0##, where ##f'## denotes the derivative of ##f##. Then ##f(x)=(x-c)^mh(x)##, where ##m## is an integer greater than 1 and ##h(x)## is a polynomial.

Is it true? Could you prove it?

Note: The converse is true and can be proved easily.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Looks quite trivial to me.

It's trivial if we know what to use.

I managed to prove it using factor theorem. But I guessed I wanted to see if there is a more elementary proof when I posted the question. And then I found an elementary proof for factor theorem.

Happiness said:
It's trivial if we know what to use.

I managed to prove it using factor theorem. But I guessed I wanted to see if there is a more elementary proof when I posted the question. And then I found an elementary proof for factor theorem.

If ##f(c) = 0## then ##f(x) = (x-c)g(x)## and ##f'(x) = g(x) + (x-c)g'(x) \dots##

Likes mfb

Related to Proof: If a Polynomial & its Derivative have Same Root

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can have one or more variables and can be of any degree.

2. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It measures how much a function changes as its input changes.

3. What does it mean for a polynomial and its derivative to have the same root?

If a polynomial and its derivative have the same root, it means that the value of the polynomial at that particular point is equal to 0, and the slope of the tangent line to the polynomial at that point is also equal to 0. This point is called a critical point.

4. Why is it important for a polynomial and its derivative to have the same root?

If a polynomial and its derivative have the same root, it means that the polynomial has a turning point at that particular point. This is important because it helps us to find the maximum or minimum values of the polynomial, which is useful in many real-world applications.

5. How can we use the fact that a polynomial and its derivative have the same root?

We can use this fact to solve equations and find the roots of a polynomial. By setting the polynomial and its derivative equal to 0, we can find the critical points and then use various methods, such as the quadratic formula, to solve for the roots of the polynomial. This can help us to understand the behavior of the polynomial and make predictions about its graph.