Proof for inequality involving absolutes

In summary, the goal of this conversation was to prove that if x is real and y=\frac{x^2+4x-17}{2(x-3)}, then |y-5| \geq 2. The conversation revolved around solving this inequality and breaking it down into two cases: when (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0 and when (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 < 0. Through a series of calculations and factoring, it was determined that in both cases, the inequality would hold true, proving the original statement.
Undirrast

Homework Statement

If [tex]x[/tex] is real and [tex]y=\frac{x^2+4x-17}{2(x-3)}[/tex], show that [tex]|y-5| \geq 2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry... Absolutely no idea. I tried to substitute y into the left side to prove that [tex]-2 \leq y - 5 \leq 2[/tex] but I can't. Anything I should know to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
-2 <= y - 5 <= 2 would be if |y-5|<=2, which isn't the case! you got it backwards.

Oops... But I still can't prove it. Can't determine the range of y - 5 at all...

plug in -2 - √21 or -2 + √21

What do you get? How do you think i got those numbers? Ask yourself where is y positive? Negative? As x gets really really positive or negative what will happen to this graph? What are the possible points where y could be the smallest it could possibly be?

Last edited:
Into what? x or y? I don't get it, why should I do so?

into x

This problem might all around be easier for you if you express 5 as (10x-30)/2(x-3)

Last edited:
I got this [tex]y - 5 = \frac{(x-3)^2 - 11}{2(x-3)}[/tex], which doesn't give any minimum value when x = 3, but by splitting it up I get [tex]\frac{x-3}{2} - \frac{11}{2(x-3)}[/tex], is that what I'm supposed to do? I still don't get the 2 values you got...

turn 5 into (10x-30)/2(x-3) so you can add it to your fraction (you need like denominators). Then factor the numerator using the quadratic formula. You'll get different values than me because i didn't bother with the 5, but i suspect it will be easier for you to see if you do.

It's [tex]\frac{x^2 - 6x - 13}{2(x-3)}[/tex] right? Hopefully I did not calculate wrongly. If I solve [tex]x^2-6x-13=0[/tex], I'll get [tex]3 - \sqrt{22}[/tex] and [tex]3 + \sqrt{22}[/tex]. Putting them into x makes it zero, that's not what I want to prove?

Okay no more similar problems we'll just cut to the chase since I think I’m only confusing you. I’m not allowed to give the answer so I’ll try to walk you through step by step.

|(x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5| ≥ 2 means we will have to deal with two cases
(x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 ≥ 2 if AND -[(x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5] ≥ 2 Right?
Let’s deal with (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 ≥ 2 first,

(x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 ≥ 2 ⇒ (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 7 ≥0
do what you did on that other problem, add the -7 to (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) by making like denominators then factor the numerator

Last edited:
Okay, I factorized and I got [tex](x-5)^2(x-3) \geq 0[/tex], since [tex](x-5)^2[/tex] is always positive, so I guess that leaves me to x > 3. What does this means basically?

where could this overall equation of (x-5)2/2(x-3) change from negative to positive or vice versa?

You mean when it's [tex]\frac{x^2-10x+25}{2(x-3)}[/tex]? When x = 5 it's zero... x < 5 is negative and x > 5 is positive...

we simplified (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 7 ≥0

to (x-5)^2/2(x-3) ≥0 correct?

so where could switch from positive to negative?

Think of it in terms of numbers if you're confused. if we have 2 numbers: a and b when is a*a/2b negative? when is it positive?

Clearly it's when negative b is negative – do you see how this applies to this problem?

Sorry... I still don't see how it applies to the problem. So when x < 3 it's negative and x > 3 it's positive, then? How does this relate to the problem at all?

where is (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0. FYI when you did the math on this last time your -13 should be +13

Remember our goal is to prove:
|(x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5| ≥ 2 if (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0

This might clear it up, let a = (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5.

What we're trying to do is show if a>0 then a>2
then we will show if a<0 then a>2. which will mean |a| > 2

Last edited:
Oh, okay, so how do we prove that y - 5 > 0?

We're almost half way there (don't worry the other half is the exact same process). Answer where is (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0. FYI when you did the math on this last time your -13 should be +13. So it's where is (x^2 - 6x + 13)/2(x-3) >0

I added this to my last post, you may have missed it, it should explain what we're trying to do:

let a = (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5.

What we're trying to do is show if a>0 then a>2
then we will show if a<0 then a>2. which will mean |a| > 2

Yea, I got the +13, so factorize it and it's [tex]\frac{(x-3)^2+4}{2(x-3)}[/tex], so it's negative when x < 3, which is unsuitable?

Great! so we know if (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0 then (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 2. That's half of the inequality! How do you think we should we get the other half.

EDIT: you're not fully factoring the top, you don't want two terms if you want to find zeros. x^2 - 6x + 13 has no real roots, so it doesn't equal zero for any real x. But you're right it's negative when x<3

Well, [tex](x-3)^2[/tex] is definitely positive and +4 that's no doubt positive as well, doesn't seem to matter me :P

I kinda get it, but I guess it's necessary for me to explain so much text in the working as well?

You could break it down into two cases, and have almost no text.

the case of (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 < 0 implies -((x^2 +4x -17)/2((x-3) – 5) > 2

and the case of (x^2 +4x -17)/2(x-3) – 5 > 0 implies (x^2 +4x -17)/2((x-3) – 5 > 2 (we just did this one)

BTW: You're right on how you dealt with (x-3)^2 + 4, I'm just half asleep at this point. I excpected you to look at the discriminate, and didn't think when I saw you didn't.

Thanks a lot for your tips, and your patience as well :)

Related to Proof for inequality involving absolutes

What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is the distance a number is from zero on a number line. It is always positive and is denoted by two vertical bars around the number.

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is larger or smaller than the other.

How can we prove an inequality involving absolutes?

There are several ways to prove an inequality involving absolutes. One method is to use the definition of absolute value and rewrite the expression as a piecewise function. Another method is to use the properties of inequalities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression.

What are the common mistakes made when proving inequalities involving absolutes?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider both cases when using the definition of absolute value. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the properties of inequalities, such as multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

Why is it important to understand proofs for inequalities involving absolutes?

Understanding proofs for inequalities involving absolutes is important because they are commonly used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and real analysis. Additionally, understanding these proofs can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.