Proof dealing w/ Simple Harmonic Oscillations

In summary, the period of a simple pendulum doing small oscillations can be calculated using the equation T = 2(py) x (square root of: l/g), where py is 3.14.., l is the length of the string, and g is gravity. This can also be derived using the fundamental equation of an oscillation, k = mw^2 = m x(2py^2/T) = m (2(py)f^2), where f is the frequency, m is the mass, w is omega (the angle), and k is the spring constant. Additionally, the equation kl=mg can be used to calculate the period, where k is the spring constant, l is the length of the string
nix
Prove that the period of a simple pendulum doing small oscillations is equal to:

2(py)x(square root of: l/g)

where py is 3.14..(obviously..lol)... l is length of the string of the pendulum and g is gravity

Also... the pendulum is basically just a ball on a string moving from side to side. and the equations we have been given to solve it is the fundamental eq. of an oscillation:

k = mw^2 = m x(2py^2/T) = m (2(py)f^2)

where f is the frequency, m is the mass, w is omega (the angle), and k is the spring constant and T is period

tricky..eh?

thanks for any help or suggestions..

Physics news on Phys.org
oops i just read the thing i was supposed to read before posting...

anyways this is what I've done and i don't think it makes sense maybe i should clarify the question with my teacher later..

m(2(py)^2/T) = m(2(py)f^2)

T = m(2(py)^2)/m(2(py)f^2)
T = py/f^2

f = 1/T

T = (py)T^2..maybe I am using the wrong equation...

And another thing about the question is that the angle is less than or equal to 5 degrees...the angle btw the original position of the pendulum and the position of the pendulum when its movind to the side.

T = py/f^2

f = 1/T
First equation has got wrong dimensions whereas second equation is correct.

Equations which might help u are
[tex]\omega^2 = \frac{k}{m}[/tex]
[tex]\omega=2\pi f[/tex]
[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]
[tex]kl=mg[/tex]

All equations are valid for small angle [tex]\theta\leq 5^0[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks so much for the help with the equations...i got it! yay!

but can you explain to me how kl = mg...

thanks again

That requires u to know the Force equation
i.e. [tex]F=-mgsin\theta[/tex]
for small theta [tex]sin\theta = \theta[/tex]
therefore the equation is [tex]F=-m\theta = -\frac{mgx}{l}[/tex]
displacement along the arc=[tex]\theta l[/tex]

also if u draw a free body diagram fo the forces . u have
[tex]k(l+\delta x)=mgcos\theta[/tex] for small displacement u can assume [tex]\delta x=0 [/tex] & [tex] cos\theta=1[/tex]
so u get kl=mg

Related to Proof dealing w/ Simple Harmonic Oscillations

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a straight line in a symmetrical manner around a central equilibrium point. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is: x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object from equilibrium at time t, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (2πf), and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the relationship between a mass-spring system and Simple Harmonic Motion?

A mass-spring system can exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion when the mass is attached to a spring and is displaced from its equilibrium point. The restoring force of the spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the mass, resulting in SHM.

4. What is the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the motion to occur. It is represented by the symbol T and is equal to 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the motion of molecules in a crystal lattice, and the motion of a child on a seesaw.